Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jlv said:
WetEV said:
Logs are not uploading to Dropbox. Is there something I can do to diagnosis? No errors or warning messages...
Did you update to the new version with the updated Dropbox API?

I have a rule to only take released apps on my phone. Google Play and my phone both have 0.40.101, updated Aug29, 2017.

Above, it sounds like I need 0.40.102 or later, assuming Dropbox has dropped support for the older API. Is this (likely) the problem?

I am in the process of updating LeafSpy Pro to work with the 2018 Leaf. The next general release will include the 2018 support and the new Dropbox code to support API 2 now that Dropbox has stopped supporting API 1.

The current test version of LeafSpy Pro supports API 2 but uses a different folder (Turbo3Test) instead of LeafSpy Pro. Here is a link to that test version 0.40.102. After the test any files that were uploaded to the Turbo3Test folder will be uploaded again to LeafSpy Pro at which point you can delete the Turbo3Test folder.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro

Test version 0.40.103 has been released. This version supports the new 2018 Leaf with limitations and Dropbox now uses the LeafSpy Pro folder instead of the test one. New high resolution SOH (xx% => xx.xx%) and better BMS only support.

Hello,

I found a tread about reading a used pack without the car.

I have made the whole OBD2 adapter and plug it to my 2014 used pack and not able to read the battery data.

Can someone help me ?

I want to see if the pack is good before opening it to swap cells in my 2011 pack

I have already leafSpy Pro

Thanks

Here the post

bjn said:
The battery pack arrived to the garage yesterday and I removed the lid. I also bought an ELM 327 OBDII to Bluetooth.

I made a simple cable to connect the ELM 327.
I bought the female OBDII from a junkyard, the guy gave me one which has the ability to reconfigure the pins. I removed all pins and added only four - pin5 (GND), pin16 (12V) and pins 6+14 (CAN). It turned out that the round connector in the Leaf battery has a standard 0.1" spacing, which was neat because I could use simple standard female headers for that end. In the upper left of the round battery connector are two 12V pins. Upper right are two CAN pins. Just below the CAN pins are three GND pins.

The ELM 327 and BMS powered up on first attempt,

and I could connect with the App.

Everything just worked. Thanks for the info in this thread. Thank you for the App, Turbo3.

Looks like my pack is in good condition. It's from a 2013 Leaf with only 6800km.
Next step will be to take the pack apart and connect it 3p. Then I will attempt the modifications to the BMS.

The next test release will allow you to define your own screen as an option on screen 3. Once you have a screen defined just swipe up or down on screen 3 to select/deselect it.

Here are two examples with the code (which is saved in a text file). One Landscape and the other Portrait orientation. Position is defined by percent of screen. Each text line defines on Label/Variable pair. But you can define only a label or only a variable as shown in the example. You specify how much of the screen should be used by the label/variable pair. This allows you to define two column layouts by only allocating 50% of the width to each pair and providing an offset to place the pair.

Variables are selected with an index number so you will need a table to determine the index to use. At the moment I only have 6 variable assigned but more will be added and you can request variable you want to add.

This has been on my list of things to do for years and it actually turned out to be very simple to do.

Let me know what other Leaf variables you would like to have displayable on the screen.

The two files needed in the SETUP folder are UserScreenP.txt and UserScreenL.txt. I will probably copy default files there during app start if none are present.

Code:
Width, Offset, Label,                 font, justify, width(%),top(%),variable, font, justify, width(%),top(%)
80,       0    ,SOC = ,                45,      r,     45,       7,     0,     55,     c,     45,       5 
50,       0    ,SOH = ,                30,      l,     40,      30,     1,     35,     c,     50,      30 
50,       0    ,HVBat = ,              30,      l,     40,      47,     2,     35,     c,     50,      47 
100,      0    ,User Defined Screen,    8,      c,    100,       0,      
50,       0    ,Gids = ,               30,      l,     40,      64,     5,     35,     c,     50,      64
50,      50    ,SOH = ,                30,      l,     40,      30,     1,     35,     c,     50,      30 
50,      50    ,HVBat = ,              30,      l,     40,      47,     2,     35,     c,     50,      47 
50,      50    ,Gids = ,               30,      l,     40,      64,     5,     35,     c,     50,      64
0BC16m.png

Code:
Width,Offset, Label, font, width(%),top(%),variable, font, width(%),top(%)
100,0,SOC = , 50,r, 45,  5, 0, 50,C, 45, 5
100,0,SOH = , 50,r, 45, 20, 1, 50,c, 45, 20
100,0,,        0,r,  0, 35, 2, 80,C, 100, 35
100,0,Gids = ,50,r, 45, 57, 5, 50,c, 45, 57 
100,0,Ah = ,  50,r, 45, 72, 4, 50,c, 45, 72
V7cIqm.png

I am looking to get some confirmation on this...

The developers first recommended ELM-327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter.
Then said that due to a recent cost reduction (and feature reduction) many of the cheap ELM327 OBDII Bluetooth adapters from Asia no longer work with the Leaf and report themselves to be version 2.1. The only one currently recommended is the Bluetooth Konnwei KW902 which still supports all the needed ELM commands to communicate with the Leaf.
Now they say the previously recommended Bluetooth Konnwei KW902 OBDII adapter is also no longer recommended. With the release of version 0.39.97 LeafSpy Pro now supports two Bluetooth 4.x LE approved adapters. The recommended one is the LELink available from Amazon.

Is this still accurate? I have an Android Samsung Galaxy S7 edge...
https:LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iP...//
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJRYMFC/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_8gy2zbJ0EKC4Q via @amazon

Thank you for your help,

Scott Hall

What is the condition for Leaf Spy to recognize that a Leaf has stopped charging (and thereby save the charge log)? I just did a quick charge which produced a nice graph, but the log was not saved (see screenshot) and there was no option to manually save the log. Upon exiting the program, the log was wiped, and the graph was replaced with the "default" quick charge graph.

1UccOuT.png

Unrelated, but also a major issue for me, I have had 3 phones in total running Leaf Spy Pro with my Leaf, and the first two were connected to Dropbox. The third, I have never been able to successfully connect to Dropbox, it always has some errors, either folders missing (if I delete the old folders manually and remove the App link from Dropbox) or just "Dropbox disabled". How do I clean up the Dropbox connection and start fresh with this phone?

ScottHall2011 said:
I am looking to get some confirmation on this...

The developers first recommended ELM-327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter.
Then said that due to a recent cost reduction (and feature reduction) many of the cheap ELM327 OBDII Bluetooth adapters from Asia no longer work with the Leaf and report themselves to be version 2.1. The only one currently recommended is the Bluetooth Konnwei KW902 which still supports all the needed ELM commands to communicate with the Leaf.
Now they say the previously recommended Bluetooth Konnwei KW902 OBDII adapter is also no longer recommended. With the release of version 0.39.97 LeafSpy Pro now supports two Bluetooth 4.x LE approved adapters. The recommended one is the LELink available from Amazon.

Is this still accurate? I have an Android Samsung Galaxy S7 edge...
https:LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iP...//
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJRYMFC/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_8gy2zbJ0EKC4Q via @amazon
It seems like we need to start 2 separate threads for compatible/recommended/don't work/not recommended OBD2 dongles: 1 for iOS and another for Android. And, they should be ones where discussion is purely limited to model w/purchase link, purchase date, whether it works or not and if there are failures/flakiness.

Besides LELink, there's so much scattered info scattered all over the place such as:
- http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/?title=Leaf_Spy_Pro&redirect=no#Clone_ELM327_Bluetooth_Scanner
- the 3 Google Play Store listings (for Lite, regular and Pro versions)
- the 1 iOS App Store listing
- various posts buried within threads

I picked my 2 adapters in July 2015 based upon positive reports in some thread.

jkenny23 said:
What is the condition for Leaf Spy to recognize that a Leaf has stopped charging (and thereby save the charge log)? I just did a quick charge which produced a nice graph, but the log was not saved (see screenshot) and there was no option to manually save the log. Upon exiting the program, the log was wiped, and the graph was replaced with the "default" quick charge graph.
I will add back the SAVE option on the next release. But it would be helpful to understand the problem with the auto save function if you could take an ELM trace (see bottom of help file for details) covering the end of a charge. LeafSpy is looking for an end of charge indication from the VCM ECU. Having a trace will allow me to see want is happening during that time.

jkenny23 said:
Unrelated, but also a major issue for me, I have had 3 phones in total running Leaf Spy Pro with my Leaf, and the first two were connected to Dropbox. The third, I have never been able to successfully connect to Dropbox, it always has some errors, either folders missing (if I delete the old folders manually and remove the App link from Dropbox) or just "Dropbox disabled". How do I clean up the Dropbox connection and start fresh with this phone?
The current test version of LeafSpy Pro has a new option on the Settings/Dropbox panel to Reset your ID and start over connecting to Dropbox. It also uses API 2 now that API 1 is no longer supported. See earlier posts for a link to it.

Turbo3 said:
The current test version of LeafSpy Pro has a new option on the Settings/Dropbox panel to Reset your ID and start over connecting to Dropbox. It also uses API 2 now that API 1 is no longer supported. See earlier posts for a link to it.

Any schedule for fixing the released version?
I really don't want test version.

I just updated from the 0.40.102 test version to the 0.40.103 test version and now LSP drops the connection to the ELM frequently (every few minutes). It seems to result in the ELM locking up; I have to unplug it for it to work again. I wasn't having this problem previously. I have an ELM trace of a drop. My ELM is this BT Vgate: amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAOOQJC
(junk to avoid the forum link crapifier from making this post unreadable)

jlv said:
I just updated from the 0.40.102 test version to the 0.40.103 test version and now LSP drops the connection to the ELM frequently (every few minutes). It seems to result in the ELM locking up; I have to unplug it for it to work again. I wasn't having this problem previously. I have an ELM trace of a drop. My ELM is this BT Vgate: amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAOOQJC
(junk to avoid the forum link crapifier from making this post unreadable)
The trace shows the data from the Leaf is coming in very fast, too fast for your Android device to handle. Go into Settings/Options and enable Slow Transfer mode. This will tell the Leaf to send the data in a little slower.

WetEV said:
Turbo3 said:

Any schedule for fixing the released version?
I really don't want test version.
I need to release 0.40.104 first for testing then after a few days I can do a full release. Probably early next week.

So this Bluetooth OBDII adapter should function with both Android & iPhone, right? Furthermore,
LeafSpy Pro for the iPhone will now connect via Bluetooth (only with above adapter) or with most
WiFi adapters, right?

very good tool, thank you!

I am using a tablet with wifi only thus the Dropbox sync is not working while driving around. After a trip it would be handy to sync the files to dropbox for further investigation. But it seems not to sync (1 min interval) back at home with wifi.
Is the sync still active if there is no running Leaf around? Is there a way to force this sync?

Thanks in advance from a newbie

btw, KONNWEI KW902 from amazon works for me with a 2011 model and a android.

own screen 3
Let me know what other Leaf variables you would like to have displayable on the screen.

• remaining kWh
    remaining km
    Wh used since last reset
Perfect option!

lorenfb said:

So this Bluetooth OBDII adapter should function with both Android & iPhone, right? Furthermore,
LeafSpy Pro for the iPhone will now connect via Bluetooth (only with above adapter) or with most
WiFi adapters, right?

Having just purchased and tested the LELink adapter, the answer is yes to LeafSpy functioning on both Android & iPhone via Bluetooth.

I just bought the LELink OBDII and have installed the Leafspy Pro. The first thing I notice is that the OBD has an LED that remains on at all times. So, do you remove the OBD when not in use, or is the current drain so low that you leave it in place all of the time?

Back