After 2 weeks with a Bolt, here's everything I miss about the Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto.

My apologies to those of my exwives family whom I may have offended. Wasn't my intention. They were both good wives, and there are things I will miss about them.

The new one isn't perfect by any means, oh no, but she is a goer, know what I mean? She likes sport, eh guvnor? Likes to "go"? Know what I mean? Wink wink, nudge nudge. . . Say no more, say no more.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Ditto.

My apologies to those of my exwives family whom I may have offended. Wasn't my intention. They were both good wives, and there are things I will miss about them.

The new one isn't perfect by any means, oh no, but she is a goer, know what I mean? She likes sport, eh guvnor? Likes to "go"? Know what I mean? Wink wink, nudge nudge. . . Say no more, say no more.

"Likes games?" he said, knowingly.

powersurge said:
I see people talking about the Bolt and often refer to the Leaf as a "short range" car. I certainly do not see the Leaf as a short range car. For me, a short range vehicle is like a golf cart, with big heavy SLA batteries, and can only go 15-20 miles...
I respectfully disagree, in that my definition is based on a comparison to other road vehicles. Compared to a golf cart, the LEAF can indeed go slightly further. When new, 70 electric miles was pretty spectacular, enough for us early adopters to get on board, especially with the then-stated 100-mile range. Now however, 70 miles is pretty sad. Worse, in my 2012 with less than 12k miles, there is no way I could make a 50-mile round trip, so yeah, I would call the LEAF very much a short-range vehicle. Now with Bolt, Tesla, others, all handily exceeding 200 miles, even the 150-mile LEAF might be considered by some to be short-range. The basis of comparison changes all the time.

And that’s if you compare only to other electrics. If you start comparing to ICEV’s, which I certainly do as they both perform the same purpose of transportation, the LEAF is an even shorter range car.

I see the Leaf as an unrestricted commuter car, able to travel to neighboring cities. I don't see being able to make a straight shot of 60-70 miles, or a round trip of 35 miles (each way) as short range.
I do agree on the commute car appellation, but I also don’t see 70-mile round trips. Battery deterioration, especially on my 2012, makes that only a dream.
Yes, the Bolt may be an attractive car for new EV drivers that want to do a round trip to a destination 70 miles away. I have been with my '15 Leaf for 3 years, and have come to depend on it daily for my 50 mile round trip. Cant sneeze at that for a "first generation" car. SO.... I don't see missing my Leaf for a long while....
Yes, the LEAF was a great introduction to a practical though limited electric car, and I’m glad I got on board. I learned an awful lot about everything from new driving techniques, electric performance, vehicle care without an ICE, the absolute truth of range anxiety as it increases, not lessens, over time, temperature effects, wind resistance at highway speeds, and much more.

Can the LEAF be my only vehicle? Hardly. Will I get another LEAF? Not for a 150-mile range that deteriorates over time. Is my 2012 a terrific first generation vehicle? You bet.

GetOffYourGas said:
dprendergast said:
This is kind of like telling your ex-wife's family why you divorced her, and how awesome your new girlfriend is. It may all be true, but talking about it isn't going to reflect well on you.

:lol:

I view it as the opposite.
Just to clarify, my post was in response to the OP, not any of the posts that followed.

SalisburySam said:
powersurge said:
I see people talking about the Bolt and often refer to the Leaf as a "short range" car. I certainly do not see the Leaf as a short range car. For me, a short range vehicle is like a golf cart, with big heavy SLA batteries, and can only go 15-20 miles...
I respectfully disagree, in that my definition is based on a comparison to other road vehicles. Compared to a golf cart, the LEAF can indeed go slightly further. When new, 70 electric miles was pretty spectacular, enough for us early adopters to get on board, especially with the then-stated 100-mile range. Now however, 70 miles is pretty sad. Worse, in my 2012 with less than 12k miles, there is no way I could make a 50-mile round trip, so yeah, I would call the LEAF very much a short-range vehicle. Now with Bolt, Tesla, others, all handily exceeding 200 miles, even the 150-mile LEAF might be considered by some to be short-range. The basis of comparison changes all the time.

And that’s if you compare only to other electrics. If you start comparing to ICEV’s, which I certainly do as they both perform the same purpose of transportation, the LEAF is an even shorter range car.

I see the Leaf as an unrestricted commuter car, able to travel to neighboring cities. I don't see being able to make a straight shot of 60-70 miles, or a round trip of 35 miles (each way) as short range.
I do agree on the commute car appellation, but I also don’t see 70-mile round trips. Battery deterioration, especially on my 2012, makes that only a dream.
Yes, the Bolt may be an attractive car for new EV drivers that want to do a round trip to a destination 70 miles away. I have been with my '15 Leaf for 3 years, and have come to depend on it daily for my 50 mile round trip. Cant sneeze at that for a "first generation" car. SO.... I don't see missing my Leaf for a long while....
Yes, the LEAF was a great introduction to a practical though limited electric car, and I’m glad I got on board. I learned an awful lot about everything from new driving techniques, electric performance, vehicle care without an ICE, the absolute truth of range anxiety as it increases, not lessens, over time, temperature effects, wind resistance at highway speeds, and much more.

Can the LEAF be my only vehicle? Hardly. Will I get another LEAF? Not for a 150-mile range that deteriorates over time. Is my 2012 a terrific first generation vehicle? You bet.

SalisburySam,
I suspect your 2012 has more range than you think. I made my daily 52-mile (26 each way) round trip commute with my 2011 with ice cold A/C when it was down to 8 capacity bars. There is significant range below the first low battery warning and 5 to 7 miles left after very low battery warning.

To the others on this thread:
I like to read about the Bolt and hope GM is really committed to EVs this time. I would have purchased an EV1 if GM would have been willing to sell one to me and I might have considered a Spark when I was forced to replace my 2011, but they were not available in AZ. I expect my 2015 to meet my daily driver needs for quite a while and have other vehicles for long trips so I anticipate even more EV options by the time I need another car.

I could live with Leaf interior but not with the Leaf exterior or the mileage.
I could live with Bolt exterior but not with the interior. Bolt looks kind of like Honda Fit.
Why do EV's have to be so ugly?

tesleaf said:
I could live with Leaf interior but not with the Leaf exterior or the mileage.
I could live with Bolt exterior but not with the interior. Bolt looks kind of like Honda Fit.
Why do EV's have to be so ugly?
So that Aptera can have an excuse for going under.

Back