12V Battery Charging Mystery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know when the change was made, but charging current into the 12-volt battery drops to a much lower current before switching to the lower float voltage on my 2015 than it did on my 2011. This may result in a higher average state of charge for the battery in the 2015, depending upon particular usage patterns. I had no issues with the charging algorithm in the 2011 and have had no issues so far with the 2015 for my usage patterns. I have never connected an external 12-volt charger to either LEAF.

GerryAZ said:
I don't know when the change was made, but charging current into the 12-volt battery drops to a much lower current before switching to the lower float voltage on my 2015 than it did on my 2011. This may result in a higher average state of charge for the battery in the 2015, depending upon particular usage patterns. I had no issues with the charging algorithm in the 2011 and have had no issues so far with the 2015 for my usage patterns. I have never connected an external 12-volt charger to either LEAF.

Then monitoring the battery voltage, e.g. using LeafSpy, should provide how the battery is maintained over time
differently, e.g. while driving, if the algorithm changed. As an example, my '13 Leaf's battery is initially at about 13.9V
when I first begin driving in the morning, and then drops to about 12.9V shortly thereafter for the balance of the trip.
Now if another Leaf that was monitored had an ongoing battery voltage of 13.5V while driving, one could possibly assume
the algorithm was different.

The voltage levels with the car in Ready mode are the same for 2011 and 2015--about 14 volts initially until current into the battery drops below threshold and then about 13 for the remainder of the trip (or traction battery charge cycle). Exact float voltage levels depend upon ambient temperature. Since the threshold current is lower for the 2015, it stays at approximately 14 volts for a little longer during each charging cycle than the 2011. Again, I do not know when the charging algorithm was changed.

GerryAZ said:
The voltage levels with the car in Ready mode are the same for 2011 and 2015--about 14 volts initially until current into the battery drops below threshold and then about 13 for the remainder of the trip (or traction battery charge cycle). Exact float voltage levels depend upon ambient temperature. Since the threshold current is lower for the 2015, it stays at approximately 14 volts for a little longer during each charging cycle than the 2011. Again, I do not know when the charging algorithm was changed.

So you've monitored the charging voltage and noticed a longer time period at the higher charging voltage
(13.9V - 14.0V) on your '15 vs the '11? If so, the algorithm may have changed subsequent to MY2011?

I'd just like to add that my Australian spec 2011 (recently upgraded from 2G to 3G, but a different unit to US) also flattens the 12v battery when left for a few weeks without driving, whether it is plugged in to charge or not.

I live in an area with no phone service

Back