2014 Battery Stats

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GuiACan said:
jamieo said:
jamieo said:
September 12, 2017 AHr=57.22 SOH=87% 382.51V Hx=86.41% 35,380 miles 16QCs & 1,244 L1/L2s

September 18, 2017 AHr=57.28 SOH=87% 383.8V Hx=86.17% 35,577 miles 16QCs & 1,249 L1/L2s

for reference, almost 2 years ago:
September 28, 2015 AHr=57.47 SOH=87% 388.44V Hx=86.53% 8,176 miles

So, basically no degradation in the past 2 years and 27000 miles ? That's great news. I'm in the process of buying a used 2014 with about 36000 miles. It's supposed to have all 12 bars left...

There's almost no information on Leaf MY 2014 compared to the other MY. I'm glad to at least have one "data point" as a reference.

Here's the reading from this morning:

October 5, 2017 AHr=57.41 SOH=87% 383.75V Hx=86.48% 36,127 miles 16 QCs & 1,263 L1/L2s

My car has a January 2014 manufacture date ... do you know the date on yours? I bought it new in February 2015, and it had 67 miles on it. It sat at the dealer for a year or so before I bought it.

jamieo said:

October 5, 2017 AHr=57.41 SOH=87% 383.75V Hx=86.48% 36,127 miles 16 QCs & 1,263 L1/L2s

My car has a January 2014 manufacture date ... do you know the date on yours? I bought it new in February 2015, and it had 67 miles on it. It sat at the dealer for a year or so before I bought it.

march 2014
36K miles

I thought I'd have it by now but I have to wait until next week :x :cry:

GuiACan said:
jamieo said:

march 2014
36K miles

I thought I'd have it by now but I have to wait until next week :x :cry:

Maybe your battery will be similar to mine! Good luck and enjoy your “new” LEAF!

pyromancy5 said:
October 6, 2017 AHr=52.24 SOH=79% 385.53V Hx=73.08% 38,331 miles 97 QCs & 1,437 L1/L2s

Thanks for the contribution! What is the manufacture date of your car and did you buy it new or used? If used, do you know if it came from a hot climate or somewhere else?

jamieo said:
pyromancy5 said:
October 6, 2017 AHr=52.24 SOH=79% 385.53V Hx=73.08% 38,331 miles 97 QCs & 1,437 L1/L2s

Thanks for the contribution! What is the manufacture date of your car and did you buy it new or used? If used, do you know if it came from a hot climate or somewhere else?

Manufactured 3/14, in-service 6/14. I purchased it used in April of this year. It spent it's first 2 years/ 28k mi in Atlanta, then 6 months/ 8k mi in Ohio before I took ownership.

SOH 6 months ago when I purchased it was 84%. Now it seems to be falling fairly quickly. I'm questioning if I should treat it well, or neglect it and try to get a warranty replacement since I have 19 months left to go under warranty.

jamieo said:
Odometer 21,877 AHr 58.09 SOH= 88% Hx=87.86% 395.22V 14QCs and 862 L1/L2 10/13/2016

October 17, 2017 AHr=57.45 SOH=87% 382.59V Hx=87.56 36,651 miles 16 QCs & 1,276 L1/L2s

There appears to be a small amount of degradation over the last year (and 14,774 miles)

pyromancy5 said:
jamieo said:
pyromancy5 said:

Manufactured 3/14, in-service 6/14. I purchased it used in April of this year. It spent it's first 2 years/ 28k mi in Atlanta, then 6 months/ 8k mi in Ohio before I took ownership.

SOH 6 months ago when I purchased it was 84%. Now it seems to be falling fairly quickly. I'm questioning if I should treat it well, or neglect it and try to get a warranty replacement since I have 19 months left to go under warranty.

It's interesting that your car is a little "younger" than mine and has experienced so much more degradation. Mine has a manufacture date of 1/14 and I got it in February of 2015.

I don't have any advice about racing to drop bars to get a warranty replacement however. I am not sure what I would do in that situation myself.

jamieo said:
pyromancy5 said:
jamieo said:

It's interesting that your car is a little "younger" than mine and has experienced so much more degradation. Mine has a manufacture date of 1/14 and I got it in February of 2015.

I don't have any advice about racing to drop bars to get a warranty replacement however. I am not sure what I would do in that situation myself.

I've made up my mind to try and push it over the edge. This spring / summerI can park on the roof of my work garage so it is in the sun (thank you Nissan connect for letting me turn on AC as I leave the office), keep it charged up at night, and drive it in B mode as much as possible to cycle the battery more. Maybe hit the free QC on hot days since it's near a grocery store.

pyromancy5 said:
jamieo said:
pyromancy5 said:

I've made up my mind to try and push it over the edge. This spring / summerI can park on the roof of my work garage so it is in the sun (thank you Nissan connect for letting me turn on AC as I leave the office), keep it charged up at night, and drive it in B mode as much as possible to cycle the battery more. Maybe hit the free QC on hot days since it's near a grocery store.

Good Luck!!!

My 2014 Leaf passed 100 000 km today.
Degradation numbers and comments posted here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13371&p=509545#p509545

I would recommend people to start ignoring small capacity SOH Hx variations.
I observe +/- 2% fluctuation all the time. They are meaningless. Values drift off if
cell voltages are kept between 3-4V. And they also drift off if battery temperature
is not between 20-30C. Both ways numbers go crazy.

The weather has cooled off here, and I took a reading this morning:

October 31, 2017 AHr=58.02 SOH=88% 382.57V Hx=88.19 37,307 miles 16 QCs & 1,293 L1/L2s

for comparison, these are the values for a little under a year ago:

November 6, 2016: AHr=58.31 SOH=89% Hx=88.33% 384.86 V 22,934 miles 14 QCs and 890 L1/L2s

The battery is holding strong.... in spite of this Mid-South Climate

pyromancy5 said:
jamieo said:
pyromancy5 said:

Well, after 2 weeks of keeping the car charged up most of the time, my SoH is up to 82% from 78% :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure if this is due to colder weather moving in, better cell balancing from living at higher soc for a week, or what. I'm just gonna drive it and see what happens to the battery next summer.

pyromancy5 said:
pyromancy5 said:
jamieo said:

Well, after 2 weeks of keeping the car charged up most of the time, my SoH is up to 82% from 78% :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure if this is due to colder weather moving in, better cell balancing from living at higher soc for a week, or what. I'm just gonna drive it and see what happens to the battery next summer.

good luck!! haha!!

3.5 year check in:

uc

Ahr steadily declined following the trendline. Not sure what's going on with recent jump to 58's. Pretty sure it's temporary

That is normal. I would ask others to STOP POSTING data every few weeks :roll:
This data is worth absolutely nothing and just fills forum with unnecessary crap.
I also got a bump lately, from 94% to 95% SOC. It's not real capacity change!!

These variations happen due to temperature changes and how battery treated
lately. For example, was it drained fast, was there lots of regen, DC charging, was
battery drained while stationary for hours (current meter is not precise when measuring
very low current). How much surface charge/discharge there is in the pack while driving.
All this changes measuring results. 1-4% spikes are expected. The shallower charging
cycles, the more drastic those jumps are. From 100% down to 50% is very bad.

The only way to bring it back to within +/- 2% error margin is to charge to 100% (not DC)
discharge to at least 0 bars left (turtle would be much better) while DRIVING at constant
speed and battery temperature between 5-7 temperature bars. And then charge to 100% again.

I've had at least 0,5kWh been hidden between 0,6kWh and 0,4kWh (turtle).
Literally, I drove for like 4-5km with only 0,2kW. This is how inaccurate it gets.

I post my data every few weeks because I use this thread as a record of my history. I am an engineer and I understand statistics. I also use it to compare year over year results, which are more important than the minor fluctuations between measurements. I fully understand that there are minor variations from reading to reading that do not necessarily indicate anything significant.

If I choose to, I will post data every day. If you feel that this is information is useless crap, stop reading this thread.

I started this thread , and I’ll continue to use it regardless of what you think.

arnis said:
That is normal. I would ask others to STOP POSTING data every few weeks :roll:
This data is worth absolutely nothing and just fills forum with unnecessary crap.
I also got a bump lately, from 94% to 95% SOC. It's not real capacity change!!

These variations happen due to temperature changes and how battery treated
lately. For example, was it drained fast, was there lots of regen, DC charging, was
battery drained while stationary for hours (current meter is not precise when measuring
very low current). How much surface charge/discharge there is in the pack while driving.
All this changes measuring results. 1-4% spikes are expected. The shallower charging
cycles, the more drastic those jumps are. From 100% down to 50% is very bad.

The only way to bring it back to within +/- 2% error margin is to charge to 100% (not DC)
discharge to at least 0 bars left (turtle would be much better) while DRIVING at constant
speed and battery temperature between 5-7 temperature bars. And then charge to 100% again.

I've had at least 0,5kWh been hidden between 0,6kWh and 0,4kWh (turtle).
Literally, I drove for like 4-5km with only 0,2kW. This is how inaccurate it gets.

Back