Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stevek said:
I just bought the LELink OBDII and have installed the Leafspy Pro. The first thing I notice is that the OBD has an LED that remains on at all times. So, do you remove the OBD when not in use, or is the current drain so low that you leave it in place all of the time?

Yes, I noticed the red LED too. You have a good question. I'll measure the 12V battery current with & without the adapter after the
vehicle fully powers down. Hopefully, someone else noticed this and has an answer before I do the measurement for those
concerned about a potential dead 12V battery.

stevek said:
I just bought the LELink OBDII and have installed the Leafspy Pro. The first thing I notice is that the OBD has an LED that remains on at all times. So, do you remove the OBD when not in use, or is the current drain so low that you leave it in place all of the time?
The adapter I use has an on/off switch incorporated on the unit
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-Vgate-ELM327-Bluetooth-ODB2-II-Car-Auto-Diagnostics-Scanner-w-Power-Switch-/111329509215?tfrom=111324079170&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=
The unit is mounted below the steering column w/ velcro ensuring easy access to the switch using this extension cable
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00J2N0VG4/ref=asc_df_B00J2N0VG43251291?smid=A1NX1V525JVRQF&linkCode=df0&creative=395393&creativeASIN=B00J2N0VG4&tag
If your adapter has no switch you may order a cable like this c/w on off switch
https://www.ebay.com/itm/With-Switch-16-pin-M-F-OBD-2-OBDII-Cable-Extension-Type-Adapter-Connector-Cord-/281547060744?_ul=SV

stevek said:
I just leave mine plugged in all the time but I drive a lot and charge nearly every day. I do have other cars that I have OBDII's plugged into that don't get driven often (less than once a week) but they're on trickle chargers because the battery will die if the car sits long enough. In the case of my Maxima, it's the alarm system and keyless entry that kills it not the OBDII. I suspect that the keyless entry and telemetry on the Leaf are the biggest battery drains. It would be interesting to know what the drain actually is both with and without the OBDII.

lorenfb said:
stevek said:

Yes, I noticed the red LED too. You have a good question. I'll measure the 12V battery current with & without the adapter after the
vehicle fully powers down. Hopefully, someone else noticed this and has an answer before I do the measurement for those
concerned about a potential dead 12V battery.

Checked the current drain after about 15 minutes. The total including the adapter was less than 60ma.
Assuming a 60 Ahr 12V battery at half capacity (30 Ahrs) for starting, results in about 20 days at a 60ma drain.

The current test version of LeafSpy Pro now supports user generated Custom Screens.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=24767&p=509339#p509122

Leafspy screens to complicated? Values too small to read? Make your own custom screen. Share your creations with others.

There are two new Settings/Options parameters which allow the custom screens to be adjusted to different screen sizes and resolutions without having to edit the definition files.

Is it normal for Leaf Spy Pro to display the message

ATTENTION

Please reset Android Font Size to "Normal (1.100000023841858)

If not can anyone tell how to prevent it. I have set up Tasker to start leaf spy when my phone connects to my cars Bluetooth, but it will not received any data until this message is cleared.

Chadrph said:

ATTENTION

If not can anyone tell how to prevent it. I have set up Tasker to start leaf spy when my phone connects to my cars Bluetooth, but it will not received any data until this message is cleared.

need to change your font size in phone settings before launching LS

Chadrph said:

ATTENTION

In the next release I will change that message to a Toast message so it will not block the app from running.

Sorry if the answer is an obvious one, but I haven't been able to find it with the research I've done. (Yes, I've looked...)

Is there an authoritative source location for the Change Log for Beta version 0,40,105 ?

Thanks very much, in advance!

rtw819 said:
Sorry if the answer is an obvious one, but I haven't been able to find it with the research I've done. (Yes, I've looked...)
Is there an authoritative source location for the Change Log for Beta version 0,40,105
Authoritative source: On Android, use the "..." menu, "About & Help", and then "Change History".

0.40.105 only contains two changes for BMS-only mode and 1 change for people who've manually installed auto-headlight hardware. Effectively unless you are one of a very few people, it is unchanged from 0.40.104.

jlv said:
Authoritative source: On Android, use the "..." menu, "About & Help", and then "Change History".

0.40.105 only contains two changes for BMS-only mode and 1 change for people who've manually installed auto-headlight hardware. Effectively unless you are one of a very few people, it is unchanged from 0.40.104.

Thanks for the explanation. Perhaps it's strange, but I generally prefer to read the change logs prior to installing updates for particular packages (i.e. this one, especially since I'm subscribed as a beta tester), so that I'm better prepared for changes in the new version. There didn't seem to be a way to read the change log for this latest beta version without actually having installed the update -- so I asked here. Seems to me like a "cart before the horse" order of operations problem, but I'm just silly like that. :) That's why I asked about the "authoritative" source, assuming a changelog would be available outside of the installed version.

At any rate, thanks for the info!

thanks for the great app! bought the pro version a few days ago just to support your development but my leaf will arrive only by end of february 2018 (EU version) ;) hope the 40kwh leaf is fully supported by then, if not i could also assist in case you need something but i guess you'll get earlier data from japanese users.

I have Leaf Spy Pro and the Summary Table screen and the Battery screen give me different Ahr readings. For instance, today the Table screen said 59.27 and at the same time the Battery Cells page said 61.48.

Any idea I get the two different results and which is more accurate?

mtndrvr said:
I have Leaf Spy Pro and the Summary Table screen and the Battery screen give me different Ahr readings. For instance, today the Table screen said 59.27 and at the same time the Battery Cells page said 61.48.

The Battery Cells page is giving the rated capacity. The Table page is giving the currently available Ahr.

For a gas car it would be like the tank can hold 12 gallons but there are only 11.5 gallons in it now.

Batteries can never be fully charged so the two numbers will never be the same.

The Battery Cell page is giving the rated capacity from new or at that moment?
The capacity of a gas tank is fixed, does that mean the 61.48 was fixed when new?

Turbo3 said:
mtndrvr said:

The Battery Cells page is giving the rated capacity. The Table page is giving the currently available Ahr.

For a gas car it would be like the tank can hold 12 gallons but there are only 11.5 gallons in it now.

Batteries can never be fully charged so the two numbers will never be the same.

mtndrvr said:
The Battery Cell page is giving the rated capacity from new or at that moment?
The capacity of a gas tank is fixed, does that mean the 61.48 was fixed when new?
It is the rated capacity at this moment. The rated capacity reduces as the battery ages and can hold less energy.

For a gas car it would be the sediment in bad gas filling up the bottom of the tank so it can hold less than it did when new.

Back