Extremely frustrated with Nissan service and support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FILLUPMYEV

My mother brought in her 2012 Nissan Leaf SL to Alhambra Nissan a few weeks back to ask for a warranty replacement for her battery since it shows 8 bars. The service adviser that she spoke with said the battery is only covered under warranty for 3 years and said they can't do anything for her without her paying for it. She brought her vehicle to me last night and asked me to bring it to a local dealer for her to ask for the battery replacement.

I called (877) NO GAS EV this morning. I asked about the battery capacity warranty. The rep by the name of Jeffery explained the warranty and said it is covered. He then proceeded to take down info like vin, etc.. He then said the warranty had expired 5 days ago. He also said there was no documentation that the car was at the dealership for this battery capacity issue before the expiration so nothing can be done now. He said his hands were tied and that is the end of it. I then called Alhambra Nissan to speak to someone about this issue and of course, no one in service knows what I am talking about.

I am frustrated that employees were not well trained enough to know the company's policy regarding the battery capacity warranty. I am frustrated that Jeffery at Nissan corporate said he can't do anything since its now 5 days too late. We own 4 Leafs in the family. All 2012s. 2 is at 10 bars. 1 is at 9 bars. My mothers have been at 8 bars since this summer. She definitely should have complained about the battery issue sooner but she is nearly 70 years old and just don't like to fuss over anything in life.

This issue alone is enough for me to be done with Nissan. I intend to sell off all 4 Leafs and move on.

I just needed to vent as I am extremely frustrated and spent all morning on the phone and NOTHING. ZERO. Time wasted......

I'm sure that someone knew about the capacity warranty, and the approaching expiration of it. I wonder if the car itself has a record of the stop at the dealership, in its telematics...

what happened at the dealership? anything at all? Or was it walk up to counter, explain situation, get turned away and leave? Because that wouldn't leave a paper trail at all.

I would go back to dealership. talk to service manager first and then get the service person in the room to discuss and confirm the date of the original conversation.

FYI; you got shafted by an independent contractor of Nissan. Not Nissan. As far as Nissan goes, you should continue to escalate. It won't be easy and it won't be quick. In these matters, there are a lot of hoops to negotiate and you will either get lucky and find a rep that will do that for you or not. Either way, don't take no for an answer.

You simply got a counter person who didn't know what they were talking about along with the asker not knowing what they had as far as rights. A litany of bad breaks.

When your mother brought in the vehicle, did she "check it in" and get any paperwork as a receipt for the visit? I'm assuming no.

I would still escalate to the EV hotline and ask to speak to the manager. Ask them if they are requesting you and your mother to go back to the dealer and identify the name of the service advisor who steered you wrong. I imagine that the car "records" the date of bar drops to help validate when it occurred. I would think Nissan would be reasonable in this situation. Sorry for your frustration.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
FYI; you got shafted by an independent contractor of Nissan. Not Nissan.
How convenient. For Nissan

interesting view.

The dealer created the issue with an untrained ( Probably just lazy) counter person so the customer AND Nissan gets screwed in the process and you feel that Nissan is the beneficiary?

Some people have had luck with BBB arbitration. If you can establish that you did get told that by the dealership, you should be able to win a BBB claim.

Phatcat73 said:
When your mother brought in the vehicle, did she "check it in" and get any paperwork as a receipt for the visit? I'm assuming no.

I would still escalate to the EV hotline and ask to speak to the manager. Ask them if they are requesting you and your mother to go back to the dealer and identify the name of the service advisor who steered you wrong. I imagine that the car "records" the date of bar drops to help validate when it occurred. I would think Nissan would be reasonable in this situation. Sorry for your frustration.

Even in cases where documentation exists of a qualifying condition, its still generally the customer's responsibility to bring it up during the qualifying period

what we have is a customer who didn't know their warranty

a customer service rep who stupidly thought the battery was covered in the "bumper to bumper" clause

and general overall still shocking scenario where a battery degraded over years and not one single time (apparently) did anyone dig out their paperwork to find out what they were entitled to.

Phatcat73 said:

She walked into the service counter, so you are correct. No receipt for the visit. I'll give the EV hotline another call tomorrow to see if that will amount to anything. I've left multiple messages for the service manager to call me back regarding this issue. I've contacted other nearby dealers and they all said the same thing. I'd have to get that service manager to admit to corporate Nissan that the car was indeed on their lot before the warranty had expired.

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
FYI; you got shafted by an independent contractor of Nissan. Not Nissan.
How convenient. For Nissan

interesting view.

The dealer created the issue with an untrained ( Probably just lazy) counter person so the customer AND Nissan gets screwed in the process and you feel that Nissan is the beneficiary?
Remind me how Nissan is screwed this ? They just denied a warranty repair.

Nissan tells the customer they HAVE to use a dealership for warranty repairs, and then disavow any responsibility towards dealership malfeasance or incompetence.

Thanks for all the feedbacks. I'm just here to vent since I believe this is the most popular forum for Nissan Leaf owners. Wanted to pull out my hair this morning being on the phone for hours talking to Nissan robots.

Side Note: I am glad that we only purchased 1 out of the 4 Nissan Leafs new. The depreciation hit was hard on the Leaf and all EVs in general. I'd probably replace the 4 leafs with Chevy Bolt leases.

We know from the idiotic battery check report that Nissan collects historical information from the car. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that Nissan knows very well from such a test that the car reached 8 bar status months ago.

That is the thing with this car: not only is the battery poor, Nissan is just freaking awful.

I would document everything possible, even if it's just your mother's statement of what day she visited and the conversation that took place. Try to get her to remember as many of the details as possible. Then file with BBB (or whatever the process in your state is) ASAP. Just taking it to that step may get Nissan to budge.

Jeff's hands may be tied but someone else's are not. Get the car to a dealer explain the situation and have them open a Good Will case for out of warranty replacement. Be polite, and enthusiastic about Leaf ownership, but make sure they open a case.
The person who ends up with the case on their desk back at Nissan will NOT have their hands tied. They can decide, based on the information, that Nissan should replace the battery regardless that the check box that says "Is it still under warranty?" is a "No" at this point.

That does not mean that the decision will be for replacement, but it seems likely given your description of events.

Remember, the first tier that will be contacted, and advocate for or against replacement will be the service manager that opens the case. Try not to piss them off...

FILLUPMYEV said:
Thanks for all the feedbacks. I'm just here to vent since I believe this is the most popular forum for Nissan Leaf owners. Wanted to pull out my hair this morning being on the phone for hours talking to Nissan robots.

Side Note: I am glad that we only purchased 1 out of the 4 Nissan Leafs new. The depreciation hit was hard on the Leaf and all EVs in general. I'd probably replace the 4 leafs with Chevy Bolt leases.

Don't give up on this!

DaveinOlyWA said:
FILLUPMYEV said:

Don't give up on this!

:lol: I will contact Nissan again tomorrow and give it another shot. Hitting a bunch of dead ends here.

there is an escalation process that they must honor no matter what the situation so even if they say no at first, you can escalate. I think you have a very good chance and as a 4 LEAFer you need to make sure they are aware of that!

(877) NO GAS EV ... Is this the only contact for Nissan Leaf issues/complaints? Any other departments I should reach out to?

Just wondering, if Nissan will honor a warrantable condition 5 days beyond the expiration, will they also do so 6 days after? Or 7, or 10, or 30...? If they bend the rules for one customer are they compelled to bend them for others, and to what extent?

Very important on any car to get problems that occur during warranty period documented at the dealer before the period expires.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Just wondering, if Nissan will honor a warrantable condition 5 days beyond the expiration, will they also do so 6 days after? Or 7, or 10, or 30...? If they bend the rules for one customer are they compelled to bend them for others, and to what extent?

Very important on any car to get problems that occur during warranty period documented at the dealer before the period expires.

Nissan has in fact changed the rules for others in the past who have had expired warranties. What their criteria for doing so is a mystery.

Back