Extremely frustrated with Nissan service and support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
Just wondering, if Nissan will honor a warrantable condition 5 days beyond the expiration, will they also do so 6 days after? Or 7, or 10, or 30...?
Two answers for you:

1. Imagine it is your car
2. Participation in the battery replacement cost can be any value between 0 and 100%

We can empathize with OP but as folks in PR will tell you just having more people feel sorry for you doesn't really do anything.

Dealers are happy to do stuff for where they will make money. IDK if it's been discussed does a service department get fairly compensated on a battery replacement or is it a losing deal?

LTLFTcomposite said:
We can empathize with OP but as folks in PR will tell you just having more people feel sorry for you doesn't really do anything.
I think you are missing the point. Does OP's story color your opinion about Nissan ?

SageBrush said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
I think you are missing the point. Does OP's story color your opinion about Nissan ?
I doubt Nissan enjoys disappointing their customers. They built a product that doesn't perform to customers expectations, now what to do? Replace batteries forever?

I think the advice given here was sound, be polite and see if you can navigate their customer service infrastructure to the point of getting it handled on a good will basis.

LTLFTcomposite said:
SageBrush said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
I doubt Nissan enjoys disappointing their customers.
They hate paying for battery replacements a lot more ... unless they decide the battery replacement is worth the cost of not losing customer(s).

LTLFTcomposite said:
Just wondering, if Nissan will honor a warrantable condition 5 days beyond the expiration, will they also do so 6 days after? Or 7, or 10, or 30...?

51 even...

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19967&p=502138#p502138

But it is totally up to Nissan, to do so. It is Out of Warranty at this point.

If the facts are correct from the OP though, he has an even better case for them to make an out of warranty exception. Someone that should have been trained to know better misled the customer with bad information. That resulted in a car that was "in warranty" when the criteria for replacement was met not being reported properly by the dealer for that replacement. No sense in wasting time with the reps on the phone who handle the "In Warranty" replacements. They can not do anything at this point.

Try to get the replacement with an out of warranty case. If that doesn't go well you can always try the BBB route.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Just wondering, if Nissan will honor a warrantable condition 5 days beyond the expiration, will they also do so 6 days after? Or 7, or 10, or 30...? If they bend the rules for one customer are they compelled to bend them for others, and to what extent?

Very important on any car to get problems that occur during warranty period documented at the dealer before the period expires.
Did you even read the OP? The car was taken to the dealer, within the warranty period, with the complaint of too many bars gone and the dealer refused to look at it, erroneously telling the owner there was no warranty for it. THAT'S why Nissan should be covering this one, not because it is only a few days past warranty.

Yeah I saw that. Sounds like it was just idle chit-chat in the check-in area instead of turning the car in stating a complaint, so no ticket was written.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Yeah I saw that. Sounds like it was just idle chit-chat in the check-in area instead of turning the car in stating a complaint, so no ticket was written.
One man's chit-chat is another man's lies and misrepresentations.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Yeah I saw that. Sounds like it was just idle chit-cha
This was not at the hair salon.
The elderly lady brought her car to the dealership specifically for her battery and was turned away. You can bet she didn't "check in" the car because it would have cost her a diagnostic fee and she had every reason to believe she would be told the same information, that she had no warranty case.

Update... 12:45am

Spoke with the EV hotline again. Pretty much the same. They cannot do anything unless the dealer tells them the car was in their hands for the battery capacity issue before the warranty was over.

I had a talk with the service manager at the local dealer. He was a very friendly sounding guy. He said he'll check with his service crew to see if any of them sent away my mother regarding the capacity loss. At the end of it all, no one stepped up to the plate so nothing can be done. I can live with that. I'm over the whole issue.

I was mostly angry with the service employee that turned my mother away when she brought in the car. Yes, the employee did tell her that it'll cost her $135 for a diagnostic but the battery warranty was long over. She is cheap and did not want to spend the $135 for the dealer to tell her the battery has lost capacity. (I wouldn't have paid for a diagnostic IF I KNEW the warranty was expired also). It was also my fault for not following up with this issue sooner and waited 2 weeks to do so when my mother brought her car over to my house to ask for help with the issue.

Just placed an order for 3 Bolts earlier. My brother is still keeping his Leaf since he bought it new and pampered the vehicle. I'll have the remaining 3 Leafs washed and detailed. Will try selling them privately for a week or so before I trade them into carmax.

Again.. just to clarify myself, I am not blaming Nissan entirely for this issue. The warranty was indeed 5 days over when I phoned it in. I was frustrated with the issue because I felt like my 70 year old mother was taken advantage of since she is gullible and easy going. It could of just been an employee that was tired, lazy, careless, etc.. but whatever the case was, I still feel that it was the dealer that was wrong. I spent hours on the phone trying to ask Nissan to make things right. Failed. That's that.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. I appreciate all of it.

Cheers,

LTLFTcomposite said:

Dealers are happy to do stuff for where they will make money. IDK if it's been discussed does a service department get fairly compensated on a battery replacement or is it a losing deal?

When they replaced my battery, last week, he told me that Nissan pays them 4 hours labor to do a battery replacement. He said the Leaf tech has the procedure down and can do one in 3 1/2 hours now. Initially, he said, it was taking up to 6 hours to do a battery replacement.

I suggest writing up an unemotional factual account of your experience, which you mostly have already done, and post it on Nissan's Facebook page. Even though you have moved on it's helpful for others to hear.

FILLUPMYEV said:

Spoke with the EV hotline again. Pretty much the same. They cannot do anything unless the dealer tells them the car was in their hands for the battery capacity issue before the warranty was over.

Just to reiterate, no one at the EV Hotline can help. It is out of warranty. Barring some one fessing up at the dealership, there is no path for an in warranty replacement.

You have a very good case for an Out of Warranty exception though.

I even did some more of the leg work.
You want to call Nissan North American Consumer Affairs. You want to open a case for an Out of Warranty exception. It is fairly simple, they get some info from you, then you need to get the car to the\a dealer so they can verify the state of the battery. Maybe you already did that, but the consumer affairs case worker will need to talk with the service manager directly regarding the vehicle.
I think the number you want is 1-800 647-7261.

I felt obligated, seeing your post to try to assist. If you can drop the cash on three new cars just to move away from Nissan over this though, I am guessing the $7000 for the battery (parts and labor) is maybe not that big a deal? For me it was. As was keeping the Leaf viable for a couple more years. That way we can wait for some of the dust can settle on recent roll outs, and get some build up in the used market, before making another purchase. Have fun with the Bolts. I will envy your range. ;)

Respectfully,
Murduc

DaveinOlyWA said:
I would take your Mother back to the dealership to identify the person she had the conversation with and confront him.

:lol: My thoughts exactly..... It was my mother that insisted on dropping the whole situation.

murduc2 said:
FILLUPMYEV said:

Just to reiterate, no one at the EV Hotline can help. It is out of warranty. Barring some one fessing up at the dealership, there is no path for an in warranty replacement.

You have a very good case for an Out of Warranty exception though.

I even did some more of the leg work.
You want to call Nissan North American Consumer Affairs. You want to open a case for an Out of Warranty exception. It is fairly simple, they get some info from you, then you need to get the car to the\a dealer so they can verify the state of the battery. Maybe you already did that, but the consumer affairs case worker will need to talk with the service manager directly regarding the vehicle.
I think the number you want is 1-800 647-7261.

I felt obligated, seeing your post to try to assist. If you can drop the cash on three new cars just to move away from Nissan over this though, I am guessing the $7000 for the battery (parts and labor) is maybe not that big a deal? For me it was. As was keeping the Leaf viable for a couple more years. That way we can wait for some of the dust can settle on recent roll outs, and get some build up in the used market, before making another purchase. Have fun with the Bolts. I will envy your range. ;)

Respectfully,
Murduc

Thank you Murduc. Truly appreciate the help. I called that number this morning and they ended up transferring me to the EV Hotline again with the same results. Hands tired. Nothing. etc...

I am not dropping the cash to purchase 3 Bolts. I'll be leasing all 3. I think EVs depreciates too quickly to purchase new at the moment even with the tax credits. $7000 for a battery replacement is not a big deal but it should have been replaced under warranty so I wouldn't even consider that route. I don't think I'd give Nissan Corp another penny of my money.

Funny thing is I was a huge Nissan enthusiast most of my life. I'm in my 30s now. I grew up admiring the gtr that was only available in Japan. I ended up purchasing one in 2009 when it was launched in the US. I've owned multiple Infinitis (g35, g37, m45, qx60). The reason my family ended up with some many Leafs for daily commuting was due to me being such a big Nissan enthusiast. I purchased 1 for myself and 2 for my parents. We don't need extended range for daily driving and the Leafs can still serve its purpose but I made the decision to sell them and switch over to Bolts due to the sour taste this incident has left in my mouth.

I understand you're giving up, but there is no way in hell I would. Your mom was wronged, pure and simple, and Nissan owes her a new battery.

I guess I just hate to see Nissan get away with stonewalling you.

FILLUPMYEV said:
I don't think I'd give Nissan Corp another penny of my money. .
I bought our LEAF used and I have not soured on it so far, but my participation in this forum has turned me against Nissan.
I'll have to say they are a corporate actor about as miserable as GM in direct facing customer support.

Back