DIY - Locking Glove box - Murano handle.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasontamu

Hi,

I installed a locking glove box in my Nissan leaf.

I was disappointed that there wasn't a locking glove box at least...u know, to lock up the dog.....

anyways...since I mod all of my Nissan's and knowing damn well Nissan modular mixes everything i was certain i could find a solution. I started searching Versa, altima , rogue and Murano glove boxes online and then I found that the Second generation (2008–2014) Nissan Murano shares the exact same handle and latch / dual arm catch mechanism as the leaf.

I looked online on ebay and found some glove boxes but i then decided to call my local junk yards. i found a few averaging about 50, 45 bucks but this one location told me they had a broken one and would let it go for 35 and it was black.

Murano handle glove box:
43xcbX6.jpg

I picked up the glove box and since the glove boxes lids are an assembly the junk yard option was best. online parts stores sell the full lid assy. courtesy parts, etc.

latch arms on each side:
X2QMpEQ.jpg

I then went to my local "Las Palmas Key shop" and for 15 bucks they hacked the lock and made me a key since the tumbler is designed to use the ignition key. so im in the hole 50 on this one guys. worth it to me for sure.

Key made:
3IRyYwY.jpg

Glove box removal from Factory service manual:
WNLw5DF.jpg

To reinstall you just have to feel and get the hook arms in first, THEN snap in the lid at the bottom.

Next, you have to dissassemble both the murano glove box lid and the Leaf glove box lid - so be warned - disassembling it; is breaking it!!!

the glove box lid is a complete assy that is built by calsonic and its a plastic welded unit. so you have to grab from the back and break apart the finish side from the back side......take yoru time and use a screw driver to pry here and there, but make sure you start from the BACK or bottom side................heck you have the murano lid to practice on...so by the time you get to the leaf glove box lid you will be fine.

you will hear all the wonderful snaps and cracks of the plastic separating and breaking.....fun stuff.

pull apart lid: (leaf shown):

vwGfQYZ.jpg

Next, in the following pics you will see green circles and all those locations if you look close you can see the plastic "break" locations. Do a fit check once you have everything apart and clean any burrs off the plastic ends and you will see the two halves will mate back with one another no problem. be gentle and pry evenly and distribute the force evenly. i would keep the finish side visible and facing you so you can ensure your not over pulling or applying to much force...you dont want to break the finish side.....or pull to hard that you deform it.

Lid pulled apart/ glue used and screw driver to pry off latch arms from the handle:
VbcEzYk.jpg

WARNING - there are clips that will fall out - be sure to keep an eye on the clips. also when prying apart you may need to engage (pull) on the handle to the open postion so the latch arms let you pry apart the two halves.

Clips that will fall and get lost:
IT31Hgj.jpg

Handle removed and difference shown
:
aNHirvi.jpg

color is exact match - red arrow is Murano handle that has lock tumbler:

Glue and seal back together:
kxvpN7A.jpg

Finished product:
uz3ZFFe.jpg

l8Fskiy.jpg

oh, the dog...(code name the dog)....
TruYJSC.jpg

I'm working on a locking center console too...........stay tuned....I'm almost done with it....this one was first because i saw how easy it was going to be to accomplish it...

Thanks,
-J

that's cool, another parts pin share, good find! too bad you have to rip apart and reglue though, that makes it a bit more invasive.

Marko

estomax said:
that's cool, another parts pin share, good find! too bad you have to rip apart and reglue though, that makes it a bit more invasive.

Marko

Ya it does but it's very easy....when I got lucky and found a good priced junk yard murano donor glove box lid I was completely cool with continuing after practicing removing it....

It's not as scary as some would think....pops apart really easy actually....

J

jasontamu said:
I was disappointed that there wasn't a locking glove box at least...u know, to lock up the dog.....

-J
Nice,
I keep my "dog" most times in the cup holder slot by my left leg. The car is tinted, and there may be a misconception that Leaf drivers don't travel heavy. In the community where I live, I'll go trail running and park beside a random car, and every once in awhile I will see a full-size stuck between the seat and the console!

Nevertheless, this is a great solution

jasontamu said:
... I started searching Versa, altima , rogue and Murano glove boxes online and then I found that the Second generation (2008–2014) Nissan Murano shares the exact same handle and latch / dual arm catch mechanism as the leaf. ...

How do you determine they're the same mechanism?

Nubo said:
jasontamu said:
... I started searching Versa, altima , rogue and Murano glove boxes online and then I found that the Second generation (2008–2014) Nissan Murano shares the exact same handle and latch / dual arm catch mechanism as the leaf. ...

Well, im very familiar with nissan's...i currently own 5 and i have owned 8 total... I modify all my nissans quite heavily to the point of custom machine work and then some on some of them....

so honestly just from looking online at pictures and ebay postings of glove boxes for sale i saw quickly that the murano had the two latches on the side like the leaf that insert into "slots"....

so from there i went to a local auto sales lot that had a 2009 murano for sale. i parked on the lot and walked right up too it....ironically it was open. i had my engineer 6 inch scale and i really didnt even need it. i could easily tell visually that its the identical handle and when i open and closed the lever and saw how it actuates i could see it uses the exact same mechanism......

Thats why I made sure to post this picture:
aNHirvi.jpg

So people can easily identify it......but dont worry i did the hard part for you - just go get a glove box lid with a locking handle from a 2nd gen Nissan Murano and your good....if the junk yard wont let you borrow the key to go make a copy then just find any local lock smith to make you a key like i did.

I asked the junk yard that I bought the glove box to please let me leave my Drivers license and ill go down the street to home depot and make a copy of they key and bring the key back but they were shocked I would even ask and told me i could purchase the key and ignition cylinder for $175 bucks but that I wasn't getting the key. I was like really??? c-mon im buying the glove box and it has a key cylinder? its obvious i need to make a key copy but they weren't going for it. So then i say ok never mind, im good ill get a key made at a lock smith they then again ask, are you sure you dont want to buy the key and ignition??? i think they just were plying their cards thinking i would pay the 175...stoopid...

-J

so i found my glove box at a junk yard - main reason for doing so was to make sure I could have the product in hand and practice disassembling the glove box lid prior to prying on my glove box lid....but for those of you that dont have a junk yard around you or cant find a Second generation (2008–2014) Nissan Murano glove box lid on ebay or something you can always buy from courtesy parts dot com site.

I found that you can buy the handle and the cylinder with 2 keys for about 50 bucks total. only minus again is that you dont get to practice ripping apart the glove box ...you would be pulling apart your LEAF glove box with out practice like i had.

Courtesy parts.com Murano glove box section:
D2aLj3b.jpg

28 bucks for the lock/handle
15 bucks for the cylinder with 2 keys.

I called courtesty parts and spoke with them on the phone about it.

-J

jasontamu said:
Nubo said:
jasontamu said:

Well, im very familiar with nissan's...i currently own 5 and i have owned 8 total... I modify all my nissans quite heavily to the point of custom machine work and then some on some of them....

so honestly just from looking online at pictures and ebay postings of glove boxes for sale i saw quickly that the murano had the two latches on the side like the leaf that insert into "slots"....

so from there i went to a local auto sales lot that had a 2009 murano for sale. i parked on the lot and walked right up too it....ironically it was open. i had my engineer 6 inch scale and i really didnt even need it. i could easily tell visually that its the identical handle and when i open and closed the lever and saw how it actuates i could see it uses the exact same mechanism......

Cool, thanks. Sort of what I figured but just wanted to make sure there wasn't some sort of compatibility that could be discerned from part numbers or the like.

When you use the key to make sure the lock mechanism works, take a picture of the key. Locksmith should be able to deduce from that. There's also an online service that will make duplicate keys from key pictures.

My glove box handle lock is for sale for anyone who wants to buy it my car was totaled but I was able to take the lock message me.

J

Back