Perplexing weather alert misfeature of 2016

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Levenkay

On several occasions now, the nav/display system in my 2016 LEAF has given a spoken audio alert, coupled with a popup notifier (that apparently must be dismissed by touching its "OK" box) on the LCD display, urgently notifying me of a "weather alert". That could be of interest, but the warning is only that the dangerous condition ("High Wind", and "Winter Storm" being the two that I can remember) is some specific distance away. Nothing identifies where the condition is, or even gives its relative bearing, so what action is the driver supposed to take? "Golly; there are high winds forty miles away! Guess I'd better park and seek underground shelter!"

When the nav display can annotate the map with little yellow caution markers that can be interrogated to discover things like "Traffic signal inoperative at this intersection", or "Temporary lane closure", would it be so hard to annotate the map to show where these weather events are?

Levenkay said:
On several occasions now, the nav/display system in my 2016 LEAF has given a spoken audio alert, coupled with a popup notifier (that apparently must be dismissed by touching its "OK" box) on the LCD display, urgently notifying me of a "weather alert". That could be of interest, but the warning is only that the dangerous condition ("High Wind", and "Winter Storm" being the two that I can remember) is some specific distance away. Nothing identifies where the condition is, or even gives its relative bearing, so what action is the driver supposed to take? "Golly; there are high winds forty miles away! Guess I'd better park and seek underground shelter!"

When the nav display can annotate the map with little yellow caution markers that can be interrogated to discover things like "Traffic signal inoperative at this intersection", or "Temporary lane closure", would it be so hard to annotate the map to show where these weather events are?
Must be something new. "High wind" might blow your Leaf into the neighbor's yard :D

I got a flash flood advisory on the 2016 Leaf yesterday...I think, they have done some weather integration..which is new to 2016.

I've now gotten 4 of these today and it's starting to get annoying. I couldn't find any reference to these in settings. Is it possible to turn them off?

powersurge said:
yeah, I also hate it telling me that it is cold outside...
The low temp warning is a mandated thing now with new cars. It has to notify you at 38F as that's the temperature ice can start to form on bridges.

Levenkay said:

This is a Sirius/XM feature and it will probably stop working if/when your trial expires. The weather alerts normally clue me in on when they're giving a free week of satellite radio around Memorial Day and Labor Day.

silverone said:
This is a Sirius/XM feature and it will probably stop working if/when your trial expires. The weather alerts normally clue me in on when they're giving a free week of satellite radio around Memorial Day and Labor Day.

Thanks for the tip on SiriusXM... that was enough for me to find how to turn them off.

On the nav system, Menu -> Info -> SXM Weather -> Weather Alert switch to off. Much less annoying!

Back