Another Tire Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyemgh

First off, yes I did search the archives. There is little to no consensus, plus tire models change frequently. If you must though, flame on. I can take it. :lol:

I'll be needing 17 inchers soon. I live in an area where rain is an issue. We have an ICE car with dedicated snows, so best winter performance isn't an issue. Plus, snow on the valley floor is rare. What do you love and why?

I love extra range, particularly during winter. So, it's hard to beat the Ecopia EP422 plus, for that reason alone, despite their performance short comings.

FYI, they definitely wear better when running at higher pressure (I use 38 psi, others go higher).

alozzy said:
FYI, they definitely wear better when running at higher pressure (I use 38 psi, others go higher).
I set mine to 42 psi.. in fact now that we are getting cooler, it's time to check that they are still near that. they usually drop to 38 psi after the summer.

I'm sort of leaning that direction because there's the most hive experience with the Ecopia if nothing else.

It's funny, there's a lot of Ecopia bashing, followed by I really hate INSERT BRAND HERE that I bought to replace it.

Anyone have experience with Sumitomo in that size? They are widely loved by Pilot owners and what I run on my Pilot. It's of course a different tire though. It's the HTR Enhance L/X.

eyemgh said:
I'm sort of leaning that direction because there's the most hive experience with the Ecopia if nothing else.

It's funny, there's a lot of Ecopia bashing, followed by I really hate INSERT BRAND HERE that I bought to replace it.

Anyone have experience with Sumitomo in that size? They are widely loved by Pilot owners and what I run on my Pilot. It's of course a different tire though. It's the HTR Enhance L/X.

I think it is a testiment to how good the car.. when owners complain about the tires and other things that become a focus.. norm cars have so many other things going on,, they don't know where to start to beef about.

I do not miss costly repairs of all the extra systems just to keep the motor going.

It's like the joke.. when you have no internet, you find things to do about the house.. when you have slightly slow internet.. it drives you crazy.

Buy whatever tire you prefer, but do so with the expectation that you will get fewer miles per kWh compared to LRR tires.

In other words, don't be too surprised if total range drops by 10 miles, maybe even more.

I wasn't very happy with the cheaply made OEM Ecopia's but have been very happy with the aftermarket(Costco) Ecopia +'s. Good LRR and the +'s have worn much better than the junk OEMs.
I'd also not be worried about getting the Micheline Defender A/S tires but they were >$50 more than the Ecopia's so I went with the Bridgestone's.

I would love to hear user feed back on the Continental Purecontact w/ Ecoplus. I had some DWS Extremecontact tires on my last (AWD and ICE) car really grew to like Conti. They also have a 7 year, 70k mile warranty. When I need a new set of shoes, this is likely the one I'm going to purchase.

Also interested in experience with Yokohama Avid Ascend, also an eco tire, with 6 year 65k mile warranty. They're also the least expensive out of the three (with ecopia being the standard)

Coming from AWD wagon to a FWD hatch, I expect winter handling to be worse in general. I do like that eco/B mode will help with slow starts and engine engine braking.

The 16-inch OEM Ecopias on my 2011 were much better under all conditions (especially wet and oily roads) if inflated to 44 psi than the 17-inch OEM Michelins on my 2015 (no matter what pressure I tried). The Ecopias were really bad in the rain if only inflated to Nissan-recommended 36 psi. I replaced the Michelins with Continental sport performance tires which do well in all conditions at the expense of range. I will replace the Continentals with Ecopias after they wear out to get some of the lost range back.

Back