Now I can charge the Leaf or Smart ED from a Tesla destination charger.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webeleafowners

We recently bought an adapter that allows charging of our leaf or smart ED with a Tesla destination charger. Although we don't expect to use it a lot there are a few destinations we visit, (namely wineries and a couple other spots) that didn't realize there were other EV charge formats other than Tesla when they put in their charging infrastructure. As a result they only have a Tesla charge point and it is difficult to add additional facilities. So we bought a Tesla adapter and tried it out today. Works great. Now we have a back up plan. We are making a little card up we can hang it on the plug so if a Tesla user really needs it he/she can text us and we can come and free it up. Manners first.

Thanks Elon.

38093494912_1d852591cf_z.jpg

26348605619_8b105bd840_z.jpg

Looks great if you only have Tesla chargers near you.... I have chargepoint chargers near me, so I wouldn't use this...

Price is quite high, buy it gives you free charging?? If you need it fantastic!!

powersurge said:
Looks great if you only have Tesla chargers near you.... I have chargepoint chargers near me, so I wouldn't use this...

Price is quite high, buy it gives you free charging?? If you need it fantastic!!

Yah we thought about it quite a bit. But we like to go on wine tours in our area and the trend has been that wineries install EV chargers. BUT...many don't know that there are two different formats so they get there Tesla charger and they are done. Then you explain to them that that is not going to work. They are usually surprised as most don't know much about EV's. This solves the problem for us as it allows an hour or two of charging and can make the difference between going and not.

We have also found some hotels that have only Tesla plugs. We haven't been in that situation yet but could be handy.

So that is a great charging cable accessory. Another that I think is AMAZING is the j1772 (20 to 40 foot) extension cable.

I have traveled far from home and found many charging station spaces taken, or even worse.... The dealership was closed, and the charger was against the building and buried by several rows of parked new cars. With the extension cable, I managed to get home. Who knows what I would have done if I did not have that extension cord!!!

So that is a great charging cable accessory. Another that I think is AMAZING is the j1772 (20 to 40 foot) extension cable.

I have traveled far from home and found many charging station spaces taken, or even worse.... The dealership was closed, and the charger was against the building and buried by several rows of parked new cars. With the extension cable, I managed to get home. Who knows what I would have done if I did not have that extension cord!!!

powersurge said:

I could have used one of those last night. Spot iced in and an open spot 2 cars over. My adapter/EVSE bag is getting kinda full though and we don't always bring it with us as we are concerned about theft. There is probably 500 bucks worth of EVSE and adaptors in there now.

Back