Delta between SOH and HX seems high, other battery questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solly

Hello all

2012 Leaf, purchased used in Feb. of 2017.

Some questions, please:

I started using LeafSpy Pro in March, at which time my SOH was 84%, and HX was 70.12. It dropped the first bar about a month later. 4,647 miles and 225 days later, I'm showing SOH of 80% and HX of 63.58.
That seems like a bigger delta between those two numbers than I typically see in other people's reports. Do I care?

It seems like as soon as I hit the 80% SOH my regen behavior changed. Is that normal? I have to get down below 30% SOC before it starts to feel like the car I bought.
3 months ago I hit 7 m/kWh on my way to work, with an average day showing about 5.5. The last couple of weeks on the same route I'm doing well to hit 3.7.

I dropped 4% SOH in about 200 days. Yes, I understand it's a 2012, and it gets hot in Utah, but that seems extreme to me. The previous owner lost 6% SOH in about 1600 days in the Seattle area. .02% / day lost here, vs. previous owner at about .004% / day loss. Is the weather that big a factor?

I have the car set to charge to 80%, and through the summer I had it only charging in the very early morning when it should be the coolest. I used the timer set to finish at 5:00 AM. It's a level 2 charging station in my carport. I park in the shade when possible, but that's not always an option.
I charge to 100% perhaps once a month, and drive it immediately after that charge completes. It never sits at 100%. 12 total quick charges over the life of the car.
I use 30 - 35% charge for my daily commute, and so it's generally at or below 50% when I plug it in at night.

Am I killing my battery? What should I do differently? Or is this just how it's going to be owning a 2012 in Utah?

Solly

I would suggest 100% charge every 10 to 15 days, to better balance the cells, but other than that you are doing everything well. Unfortunately, you will see a faster decline from the warmer Utah summers, compared to the milder Seattle climate. The batteries degrade with age, but the heat accelerates the process.

baustin said:
I would suggest 100% charge every 10 to 15 days, to better balance the cells, but other than that you are doing everything well. Unfortunately, you will see a faster decline from the warmer Utah summers, compared to the milder Seattle climate. The batteries degrade with age, but the heat accelerates the process.

Concur with baustin’s statement about occasionally charging to. 100% to balance cells. Seems you have considered other charging patterns well. Regen doesn’t work as well the older the battery. Are you driving in “D” or “Eco”. Check tire pressure, bump up to 40 psi or whatever your comfortable with to improve m/kWh. A/C use and, of course, slight variation in aggressive driving can significantly affect m/kWh. Cooler weather can affect m/kWh too.

lkkms2 said:
baustin said:

Concur with baustin’s statement about occasionally charging to. 100% to balance cells. Seems you have considered other charging patterns well. Regen doesn’t work as well the older the battery. Are you driving in “D” or “Eco”. Check tire pressure, bump up to 40 psi or whatever your comfortable with to improve m/kWh. A/C use and, of course, slight variation in aggressive driving can significantly affect m/kWh. Cooler weather can affect m/kWh too.

P.s. thanks for driving Electric for cleaner air and reducing our dependence on oil!

1. Ignore Hx
2. miles/kWh drop with colder weather for a number of reasons, chief among them use of the heater/defroster, or non-dry roads
3. There is enough imprecision in the SOH reading as a marker of battery capacity that you *may* be fretting about noise. Believe the trends after a year or two and compare YoY. Seasons affect the SOH reading
4. Battery power/regen are affected by temperature

Back