Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a quote yet on the car I drove, but the sticker price was marked down from $42k to $40k. That had better not be counting the NYS rebate! The current Leaf SV lease offered by Nissan seems to be $275 a month with $2k down, not counting the cost of Premium. So in NY I should be able to lease one with Premium for about $270 with $2k down. If the Bolt is $300 I'll lease that. If the Bolt is more like $400 I'll likely lease the 2017 Leaf - unhappily. Who would have thought an orange haired Twitter Troll would ruin our EV future?

LeftieBiker said:
I don't have a quote yet on the car I drove, but the sticker price was marked down from $42k to $40k. That had better not be counting the NYS rebate! The current Leaf SV lease offered by Nissan seems to be $275 a month with $2k down, not counting the cost of Premium. So in NY I should be able to lease one with Premium for about $270 with $2k down. If the Bolt is $300 I'll lease that. If the Bolt is more like $400 I'll likely lease the 2017 Leaf - unhappily. Who would have thought an orange haired Twitter Troll would ruin our EV future?

There is a lot of market differences and your price is high for here. How does the current lease terms compare to say 4-5 months ago?

The Bolt leases around here are quite insane. I would only lease one to purchase at the end and the price is double the 2017 and guessing probably 50-75% higher than a 2018....

I drove my second Bolt a few days ago, this time an LT with the cloth seats. This time I could feel the seat pressing into thighs. By the end of this short test drive I was beginning to feel some discomfort from these seats. I could not imagine two hours sitting it them. Somewhat confusing as I had read the cloth might be more comfy with more padding. Could the seat issue be a car-by-car random issue? I just found this at:

http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Chevy_Bolt_seat_and_seat_frame_discomfort

Only some vehicles have the problem?

Forum member jmatero sat in 12 different Bolt EVs (7 Premiers and 5 LT's with cloth seats) at Capitol Chevy in San Jose. After adjusting all of the seats to the same position, he noted differences in comfort. 4 of 7 Premium models and 2 of 5 LT models were comfortable, and the rest were painful. It also wasn't based on newer or older build dates, the bad seats were spread throughout all models and build dates. "In the cars where the seat was comfortable, the cushion barely or partly compressed. In the uncomfortable seats, the cushion fully compressed to the point where the plastic seat-side pushed into my thigh. In fact, you can feel the difference pressing on the cushion with your hands... it isn't subtle by any means: compresses with little forces vs compresses with lots of force."

About the seats, I can add I have sat in 5 different ones total. 3 were older 17's and 2 were newer. The newer ones were both good and softer, maybe I wrongly assumed they fixed it at some point if some of them from a point on are still uncomfortable? I know others have said this, but I know I could fix or adjust the seat, but I can't add 20 kw of batteries to a Leaf...

As we have been looking around here, upper midwest, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Madison, prices are typically about $2k off sticker and none of them have been throwing in the $7500 on the lease (never got to the rest of the lease deal becasue of that), which makes it not an option for us...

no seat fix from chevy that I am aware of but seems like there are several owner fixes out there.

I have yet to see an unbiased evaluation of these fixes though. but seems like it is likely not that tough to figure something out on your own to customize your needs.

DaveinOlyWA said:
no seat fix from chevy that I am aware of but seems like there are several owner fixes out there.

Could be, but after sitting in them and walking across the floor to another one I can say they were drastically different in comfort and even in looking at them. The new or just in ones were much more "flat" or raised like normal in the center and the older ones were sunk really lower in the center part. It could just be luck of whatever material they grab that day which would seem really odd. The whole seat issue is so weird....

BrockWI said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Could be, but after sitting in them and walking across the floor to another one I can say they were drastically different in comfort and even in looking at them. The 18's were much more "flat" or raised like normal in the center and the 17's were sunk really lower in the center part. It could just be luck of whatever material they grab that day which would seem really odd. The whole seat issue is so weird....

considering the amount of press the issue has received, I would be surprised that Chevy did not fix it and also surprised they did not mention it in their press release but then again, that would hurt 2017 sales so yeah, if they fixed it, good.

I sat in 3 different 2017's and the seats were horrible in all of them. couldn't imagine having to drive somewhere for an hour like that but I was willing to fix it if I had to.

The issue where the seat presses on or "pinches" your left thigh is a too-long bolt running through the seat body and into the cushion. (I suspect that this is a case of the wrong bolt being randomly installed on the assembly line for the seat.) The issue with the seat feeling too hard and flat is inadequate foam padding. Those two can both be fixed. The problem not yet solved is the seat back being too hard and narrow for some people. The back cover can't easily be removed to add padding like the bottom cover.

I'm going back and forth with the salesman. Here's where we are:

Bolt Premiere. Silver (so no extra paint charge)

* Driver Confidence II

* DCFC

* Probably a few other minor options like cargo cover

Capitalized cost after discounts: $36660

$1000 down, $383 a month for 39 months.

10,000 mile per year lease

I don't have the residual or money factor yet, but the residual should be 55% and I'm guessing the MF is .005. If I can get the payment to $350, possibly with $2k down, then I may either order or lease a Cajun Red Premiere they have in stock. This is once I'm fairly sure the tax credit will be gone for 2018.

GM keeps $5k and applies $2500 to the lease. (They also raise the residual by $5k and would like us to think that this is great.)

EDIT: oops! I see why you liked that deal. Look again - I fixed the typo. It's $356 a month.

They raise it by $5k - it becomes $5000 more to buy the car. The GM fanboys won't admit that this is not great - they keep repeating that it saves money on the lease, and so is good for lessees. The amount saved was quoted to me once by one of them as being $300 for a typical lease. It reminds me of one of our old State Worker jokes:

"I was late getting in to work this morning so I'm going to make up for it by leaving early."

BrockWI said:
Still not bad. By raising the residual by 5k do you mean they add 5k or reduce it. I could do the math but out running errands.

The best way to determine the merits of the deal is to add it up

downpayment
monthly * 35 for 3 year lease, etc.
residual

That price is your "deal." I checked a few on N. Calif and found the one of the better ones that included chevy cash of $3300

$777 down
247 a month
$23K + residual

all that added to $33K plus. So take out that $3300 chevy cash your tax benefit is not very much.

There were other incentives included as well like dealer cash, etc but wasn't all that much.

When comparing leases you have to look at the total cost of the lease, over the lease period. Even when things like the Money factor are low, they can get that money right back with things like "documentation fee" or extended service contracts that don't help EV drivers a bit.

LeftieBiker said:
Final offer, to which I agreed in principal:

$36660

$2k down (not actually my money, so I'm willing to risk it.)

$356 a month for 39 months.

Residual about $24500.

so $40,384 total... that is about what I am seeing as well. how is down "not your money?"

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
Final offer, to which I agreed in principal:

$36660

$2k down (not actually my money, so I'm willing to risk it.)

$356 a month for 39 months.

Residual about $24500.

so $40,384 total... that is about what I am seeing as well. how is down "not your money?"
NY EV Rebate?

The NY EV rebate is applied to help get it down to $38660, before the $2k down. It is not "my" money because of the way my cooperative household works: I get allotted the same $2k down and $209 a month my housemate 's Prius PHEV cost to lease, along with the sales tax being paid. I'll be paying only the extra $147 a month above that out of my own pocket. I'd still rather get a 2018 Leaf...

Autobild tested eight Euro-BEVs in a real-world winter range test, and the Bolt (Ampera) did quite poorly in terms of efficiency.

Suggests that A 2018 LEAF (not tested) as well as an Ioniq (as discussed previously) might well cover a long winter trip with recharges in less time than the Bolt, despite its much larger capacity pack.

...The German auto magazine Auto Bild decided to test the range of eight electric cars. With an outside temperature of just 5º C and the AC set to 21º C, all electric cars were submitted to the same 143 km route, which included a 43 km long highway ride at speeds up to 130 km/h...

Electric car

Range

Efficiency

Volkswagen e-up (18,7 kWh)

79 km

23,7 kWh/100 km

Smart ForTwo Electric Drive (17,6 kWh)

84 km

21 kWh/100 km

Nissan e-NV200 Evalia (24kWh)

101 km

23,8 kWh/100 km

Kia Soul EV (30 kWh)

167 km

18 kWh/100 km

Hyundai IONIQ Electric (28 kWh usable)

192 km

14,6 kWh/100 km

Volkswagen e-Golf (35,8 kWh)

208 km

17,2 kWh/100 km

Renault Zoe (41 kWh)

244 km

16,8 kWh/100 km

Opel Ampera-e (60 kWh)

273 km (170 miles)

22 kWh/100 km

http://pushevs.com/2017/12/09/auto-bild-tested-range-8-electric-cars/

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/acht-elektro-autos-im-reichweiten-check-13047587.html

A driver posted the following charging results for an Ampera using a ~100 kW charger, suggesting max rate is in fact, in the ~55 kW range:

The charger showed the following values:
7% SOC 52.6kW
11% SOC 53.7kW
21% SOC 53.8kW
33% SOC 54.6kW
44% SOC 55.2kW
49% SOC 55.5kW
https://translate.google.com/translate?act=url&depth=2&hl=en&ie=UTF8&nv=1&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://elbilforum.no/forum/index.php/topic,31392.msg600660.html%3FPHPSESSID%3Dafh05imvbl3olvts0tn3bo47c2

Back