Electric parking brake switch

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even a broken switch would not disable it as it will automatically release when the vehicle is placed in D or R... And, yes, it can be set when already in D or R if you like, providing the vehicle is not moving... If it is moving, you have to hold the switch up to apply the brake. Another nice feature of the electric parking brake.

dgpcolorado said:
The override is to allow release of the parking brake in the event of an electric systems failure or something similar (the brake switch on the console stops functioning)

dgpcolorado said:
TimLee said:
Where is the mechanical override?
The electric parking brake override is in the floor of the trunk. If used, the manual says that it will need to be taken to a dealer to be reset. The override is to allow release of the parking brake in the event of an electric systems failure or something similar (the brake switch on the console stops functioning).

... Turns out that it is very reliable and easy to use.
I keep meaning to read that massive manual but haven't got around to it in 38 months :lol:
Extensive reading of MNL is probably more informative though. :shock:
But this is the first time I've heard the mechanical override mentioned.

Actually, the electric parking brakes can go very wrong. We went on vacation, and apparently there was a twig in the seal of the trunk. Came back to find the trunk full of water--first and only time-- and the brake fried. Nissan wants $2200 to fix it. Give me a manual brake any time. Our car is only worth $6000---at those rates, I'd rather be driving a used Tesla.

And we did use the manual override, but it only got the car moving in Reverse. Had to tow it to the shop, regardless. Gotta love glitchy computers.

emfroth said:
Actually, the electric parking brakes can go very wrong. We went on vacation, and apparently there was a twig in the seal of the trunk. Came back to find the trunk full of water--first and only time-- and the brake fried. Nissan wants $2200 to fix it. Give me a manual brake any time. Our car is only worth $6000---at those rates, I'd rather be driving a used Tesla.

Since only 2011 and 2012 models have the electric parking brake, I assume you have one of those. The onboard charger is under the hump behind the rear seats and there are several wiring harnesses behind the plastic in the hatch area so I would be surprised if there is not other damage. The mechanical parking brake pedal/cable system on my 2015 has needed adjustment or repair several times and the cable seems to be stretching again while I had no issues at all with the 2011. The electric parking brake and adjustable headlights are two features on the 2011 which I really miss.

Back