Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I Googled it and found out what LeafSpy is, let me download the app and I'll let you guys and gals know. I'm real busy at work right now. But I'll get to it. I'm curious to see the LeafSpy specs on my LEAF myself.

trangen1 said:
Thanks, I Googled it and found out what LeafSpy is, let me download the app and I'll let you guys and gals know. I'm real busy at work right now. But I'll get to it. I'm curious to see the LeafSpy specs on my LEAF myself.

You'll need to have the OBDII adapter to use LeafSpy, which can purchased via Amazon (~$25). The quickest solution at this point
is to have a local Leaf owner with LeafSpy rendezvous with you. That's the 'acid test' to verify what's being claimed. What's shown
on a receipt can always be refuted by Nissan, e.g. "The service writer misunderstood what was really done.".

lorenfb said:
trangen1 said:

You'll need to have the OBDII adapter to use LeafSpy, which can purchased via Amazon (~$25). The quickest solution at this point
is to have a local Leaf owner with LeafSpy rendezvous with you.

I don't mind waiting a few days for trangen1 to get his/her own and reporting the findings next week. This way s/he becomes an educated contributor.

trangen1 said:
I'm currently at work. I just topped off my battery charge yesterday. Give me couple of days to recharge to FULL and take some Dash Pics and get the Receipt form Dealer and THEN I'll upload everything as an Img.

Seeing is believing for you Cynics.

Relax, man. There are a lot of details about the car, its real-world operation and specs, that you might not be aware of. Can you at least accept that possibility? You may or may not have gotten a 30kWh pack. All we're saying is that the dash range estimate is not proof of anything, because of how it works. We call it the "Guess-O-Meter", for good reason. I've had readings over 140miles, on a 2012. It doesn't mean I had a 40kWh pack.

So, the dash receipt will be interesting, though not definitive. Don't bother with the dash pics. LeafSpy is a phone app that reads data from an OBDII "dongle" that you plug into the car. It will give a lot more information about the battery.

Do more reading here at mynissanleaf, there's tons of good info and a lot of knowledgeable people. Some of us are "Cynical Non-Believers". There are reasons. :lol: Sorry to give you a hard time, and glad you got a new battery.

trangen1 said:
How do you Leafspy my car??? what is that???
http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Leaf_Spy_Pro are old docs. There are version for iOS and Android. One will also need a compatible OBD2 dongle (don't just get a random one). These below explain more but weren't made specifically to address 24 vs. 30 kWh batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPE-wPnaALU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgE8lmySdMI

Okay , as Promised, to the Cynics on this Forum.

here are the pics, I'm still waiting for the Invoice from the Dealer.

The Temp was 65F last night, and I noticed on the warmer days, while it's charging, I always use 240V, the dash will display more, like 117-118-119 in Eco mode, and Exactly 10 miles less for Drive mode for 107-108-109 respectively.

see attached dashboard pics.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34737565@N04/?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34737565@N04/?

I’m not sure if you don’t understand or are being intentionally ignorant but the range meter gives absolutely no indication as to whether or not you got a 24 or 30 kWh battery.

I can make my car missing four bars show 100+ miles if I start in big bear and end up at the bottom of the hill and recharge.

If your LeafSpy shows 66 Ah or fewer, you got a 24 kWh pack. A dozen people here will be able to show you 24 kWh packs with range meters just like you’ve shown (and have done so further up thread).

Your pictures, if anything, point to a 24 kWh pack. You need LeafSpy readouts.

@mtndrew1 Look Drew!!! I don't have anything to prove or not prove to anyone.

I was bored at work, thought I shared my experiences on this Forum.

Someone else said, "relax, this Forum is full of Cynics" Okay stay a Cynic. Ignorance is "Bliss" so stay Blissful.

I'm gonna do one more thing as soon as I get the Invoice from the Dealer I'll upload that picture.

But I'm not wasting $10 or $20 for the LeafSpy or Leafspy pro for this Forum and these ungrateful Cynics.

Like I said, I have nothing to prove nor disprove.

I tried to upload the LeafSpy Lite, yesterday, and it could not connect to my BlueTooth. I could not get it to connect after I installed it so I deleted it from my phone.

After that I'm done with this Forum, I got my new Battery Free and under Warraanty from Nissan, I'm a Happy camper.

As many people have said you need a Bluetooth OBD reader; LeafSpy doesn’t connect to your car’s Bluetooth.

You kind of came in here with guns blazing saying your superior legal skills got you a new battery (likely you fell into a window of Nissan goodwill replacements that has since ended) and that it’s the new 30kWh capacity in the old car, which is something we’re all craving evidence of for our own benefit.

Then you incorrectly tried to school people on units of measure which you clearly don’t understand.

Then you claimed that you in fact want LeafSpy readings for your own curiosity. Everyone provided you instructions and many offered to perform this for you free of charge on their own time with their own equipment.

If you do in fact have a 30 kWh battery in a 24 kWh car you would literally be the first evidence that this is possible. That’s why everyone wants this sorted. This has implications for the rest of us.

Despite everyone telling you how useless GOM photos are, that’s what you’ve provided as evidence and it doesn’t answer the root question at all. Now you’re gonna pack up your toys and go home because you don’t want to pop eight bucks for a Bluetooth ELM OBD reader.

Thanks for the journey.

I’m pretty sure this person is real and believes everything written thus far.

I’ve worked with people like this. “I’m so amazing I’ve done something none of you losers have done before and why don’t you tell me how cool I am!” This nearly always follows the trajectory which was just on display in this thread where weak evidence is rebutted and the ultimate outcome is “well whatever I’m cool so suck it.”

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
^^^ Right?! it's __almost__ classic troll behaviour, except that there's still the possibility that he believes what he's written.

It's worth noting that he claims to have bought a 5-year old LEAF in January 2017. Apparently the honeymoon was short indeed. By January 19, 2017 posted the following:

trangen1 said:
anyone want to join me in a Class action suit vs Nissan??? :eek:

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
^^^ Right?! it's __almost__ classic troll behaviour, except that there's still the possibility that he believes what he's written.

When I was reading his claim in this thread I was thinking WTF, I've read this before a few months ago. Then I remembered it was on the Volt message board. A poster claimed his dealer installed a Gen2 battery in their Gen1 Volt. As in the case here, this is not possible. The thread then followed the exact same progression as it did here. If you're interested you can read it here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?296282-Gen-2-battery-in-Gen-1-Volt

mtndrew1 said:
I’m pretty sure this person is real and believes everything written thus far.

I’ve worked with people like this. “I’m so amazing I’ve done something none of you losers have done before and why don’t you tell me how cool I am!” This nearly always follows the trajectory which was just on display in this thread where weak evidence is rebutted and the ultimate outcome is “well whatever I’m cool so suck it.”

Sorry to go of topic, but I didn't realize you also own a Leaf. If I missed it, could you or have you done a comparison of your the two BEVs?

ENIAC said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

When I was reading his claim in this thread I was thinking WTF, I've read this before a few months ago. Then I remembered it was on the Volt message board. A poster claimed his dealer installed a Gen2 battery in their Gen1 Volt. As in the case here, this is not possible. The thread then followed the exact same progression as it did here. If you're interested you can read it here: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?296282-Gen-2-battery-in-Gen-1-Volt

Wow! It's as if they followed the same playbook! I wonder if they're some sort of AI test?

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
ENIAC said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Wow! It's as if they followed the same playbook! I wonder if they're some sort of AI test?
"I'm sorry Dave. I cannot do that."

MtnDrew has this OP pegged. As for the question of a 30 kWh battery in a 2012 LEAF, it is unresolved but highly unlikely, if for no other reason than his reported driving range is consistent with a 24 kWh battery replacement.

I couldn't have said it better than mtndrew1. Agreed w/SageBrush here.
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Heh. I guess you're thinking of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test.

Once upon a time I wanted (and pleaded with Nissan to make available) a 30-kWh replacement battery for our MY2011/2012 LEAFs. But based on the data I have seen, I have to say that we are probably better off with a 24 kWh replacement (assuming they still use the old chemistry). It appears that the capacity of a 30-kWh battery will start out higher but will drop below that of a 24-kWh battery after a couple of years. The real benefit of the 30-kWh batteries appears to be the better capacity warranty.

RegGuheert said:
Once upon a time I wanted (and pleaded with Nissan to make available) a 30-kWh replacement battery for our MY2011/2012 LEAFs. But based on the data I have seen, I have to say that we are probably better off with a 24 kWh replacement (assuming they still use the old chemistry). It appears that the capacity of a 30-kWh battery will start out higher but will drop below that of a 24-kWh battery after a couple of years. The real benefit of the 30-kWh batteries appears to be the better capacity warranty.
The longer warranty is a clear benefit for sure, but regarding capacity we could say for sure if the 4 bar drop SoC or SOH threshold for the 30 kWh battery was known. Say the threshold is 65% for the 24 kWh battery and 60% for the 30 kWh variety, then replacements occur at ~ 15.6 kWh in the smaller battery and at 18 kWh in the larger ones. That is still quite a large difference percentage wise, and around 10 miles of range for most people.

So as a free replacement choice (hah!), it would be superior.

The situation where the larger pack sucks is new car owners who pay more for the larger battery to meet their use profile. Quickly dropping down to ~ 20 - 25 kWh where the car cannot meet the commute needs and yet not be in the battery replacement range is sure to bite some owners.

Back