WHAT IS THE POWER OUTLET PLUG USED FOR?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafabout

This is probably a stupid question, but what kind of devices are used in the POWER OUTLET PLUG ? I'd hate to plug something in there and find out that it started a fire or fried something that shouldn't have been plugged into it.
Thanks for you replies.

Are you talking about the port in the lower-center dash (below the HVAC controls) that looks like a cigarette lighter plug? If so, just about anything that is 120 watts or less per the owners manual, but also not a cigarette lighter itself. I used mine to power a dash cam.

It's a traditional cigarette lighter outlet, but the manual clearly says don't plug a ciggy lighter in there. Those draw WAY too much current. Lots of other uses though, USB outlet for charging phones, etc (IIRC the nearby USB port is for data/music only, not charging), or for the air compressor in your trunk to fix a flat tire.

erco said:
It's a traditional cigarette lighter outlet, but the manual clearly says don't plug a ciggy lighter in there. Those draw WAY too much current. Lots of other uses though, USB outlet for charging phones, etc (IIRC the nearby USB port is for data/music only, not charging), or for the air compressor in your trunk to fix a flat tire.

The USB on my 2015 LEAF charges my iPhone.

erco said:
It's a traditional cigarette lighter outlet, but the manual clearly says don't plug a ciggy lighter in there. Those draw WAY too much current.

That could be one reason. Another reason could be the port itself isn't insulated enough from the heat of the cigarette lighter itself.

RonDawg said:
erco said:
It's a traditional cigarette lighter outlet, but the manual clearly says don't plug a ciggy lighter in there. Those draw WAY too much current.

That could be one reason. Another reason could be the port itself isn't insulated enough from the heat of the cigarette lighter itself.
+1
I don't believe the cigarette lighter draws more than 10a but the heat generated could easily melt things if the socket isn't designed for the heat.

Back