Porsche Taycan - A 300 mile EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Porsche 'playing' the Model 3 'game':

Reserving a Porsche Mission E allegedly costs only $1,000 and guarantees you a markup-free sale.

Tesla created a bit of a stir when they began taking pre-order deposits for their Model 3 EV prior to the car’s launch. The move helped the company raise much needed cash for the endeavor, with over 300,000 people chipping in $1,000 to hold their place in line. Now, it appears that Porsche is taking a page from Tesla’s EV planning by doing exactly the same thing with the Mission E. At least, that’s what Reddit user cloudone is claiming.

“Just put in a deposit for a Porsche Mission E at my local dealership. They told me there are already 20 people in front of me. I’m already a big fan of electric cars, [and I] can’t wait to fly to Stuttgart to pick up my car. ETA is 2 years.”

The cost for reserving Porsche’s first all-electric vehicle? A Model 3-matching $1,000. Obviously, Porsche doesn’t need the cash to spurn development, as Tesla did with its entry level sedan. Since the Mission E and its development costs are already covered, you don’t risk losing your cash. But it’s still interesting that Porsche would choose to allow this to happen.

https://rennlist.com/articles/porsche-reportedly-taking-pre-order-deposits-mission-e/

A BEV market advancement in charging options over other BEVs:

Charging time and the range of a car are key topics in electromobility. Porsche is breaking new ground with the Mission E by doubling the standard charging voltage to 800. This results in shorter charging times as well as less weight, because power can be transmitted by thinner copper wires. The size of the lithium-ion battery enables the car to drive more than 300 miles on a single charge. It needs only 15 minutes to recharge for another 250 miles of range. Just enough time for a coffee break.
Porsche calls this concept turbo-charging. Plans are already in place to equip charging stations along German freeways with 800-volt technology. The Mission E can make do with less, of course. It can be charged at conventional 400-volt stations, or inductively and conveniently in its own garage. With a coil installed in the garage floor, all the car has to do is park over it for power to be transferred wirelessly to the coil’s counterpart in the underbody. Refueling of the future.

To minimize the driver’s having to re-direct his focus to a center-positioned display as some vehicles now have:

To cut to the chase: the driver will continue to be Porsche’s number one focus in the future. Everything revolves around the driver, including the controls. Should the driver lean to the side, sit up higher, or sink down in the seat, the five OLED round instruments that are virtually displayed on the flat, free-standing panel will follow these movements with what is referred to as a parallax effect. This helps prevent the steering wheel from blocking important information. And there’s more. Thanks to an eye-tracking system, the camera sensors always know which instrument the driver is looking at. Pressing a button on the steering wheel will then activate that instrument. Driving pleasure is guaranteed. So is feedback—the face-tracking system reflects this pleasure by displaying the corresponding emoticon on the instrument; this can be saved and shared along with further data.

No need to hopefully wait for an OEM OTA to change an undesired feature:

The dashboard is brimming with new ideas as well. Based on the cockpit design of the very first 911, a broad holographic display can be activated with a wave of the hand. The driver or front passenger can then operate the radio, navigation system, climate control, phone, and individual apps in touch-free form. Intuitive gestures, detected by sensors, do the trick. The Mission E can also be configured externally via Porsche Car Connect. Using “Over the Air and Remote Services” allows owners to modify the car’s functions from their smartphone or tablet. A simple update via the integrated high-speed data module is all it takes to save new infotainment features or engine and suspension settings.

https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/christophorusmagazine/archive/374/articleoverview/article01/

This seems pretty nice and more Porsche-like than Panamera's orgy of buttons.

https://files1.porsche.com/filestore/image/multimedia/none/rd-2015-christophorus-issue374-article01-content-04/normal/3c039b33-823f-11e5-b99f-0019999cd470;s2/porsche-normal.jpg

Unsure about the gesture control vs voice control. Has to be really well executed.
Not so hot on the suicide doors. Overall, looking forward to seeing this in 2020. Why would anyone buy a Panamera or a 911 4S? At least it may stem the bleeding.

Porsche will have their ecosystem, i.e. a SC network, too.

Porsche knows that it can't just compete against Tesla by producing fast electric cars -- part of Tesla's advantage stems from a Supercharger network that gives you the confidence to drive long distances. To that end, Porsche's North American chief Klaus Zellmer has revealed to Automotive News that his company is planning to complete a network of 500 fast charging stations in the US by the end of 2019. About 189 of those stations will reside at dealerships, while the rest will sit along highways. You might need only brief pit stops (Porsche's system charges the Mission E to 80 percent capacity in less than 20 minutes) to continue on a cross-country journey.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/porsche-building-speedy-ev-charging-194200127.html

lorenfb said:
Porsche will have their ecosystem, i.e. a SC network, too.

Porsche knows that it can't just compete against Tesla by producing fast electric cars -- part of Tesla's advantage stems from a Supercharger network that gives you the confidence to drive long distances. To that end, Porsche's North American chief Klaus Zellmer has revealed to Automotive News that his company is planning to complete a network of 500 fast charging stations in the US by the end of 2019. About 189 of those stations will reside at dealerships, while the rest will sit along highways. You might need only brief pit stops (Porsche's system charges the Mission E to 80 percent capacity in less than 20 minutes) to continue on a cross-country journey.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/porsche-building-speedy-ev-charging-194200127.html

Porsche uses CCS. I wonder if they will open their network to other CCS-capable cars, or if it will be another "walled garden".

No frequent OTAs, e.g. Tesla, needed when beta testing is done before customer deliveries;

https://rennlist.com/articles/moves-like-porsche-adam-levine-drives-mission-e/

And not much more than a fully loaded M3;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmzUJjIY9sQ

The "Misson E" now referred to as Taycan will have a 800 volt system resulting in basically half the charging time of a 400 volt system,
for basically the same energy capacity.

In addition to the deal with Electrify America, Porsche announced it is also investing about $70 million in charging infrastructure to help keep the electric vehicles going. The company plans to install fast-charging stations at all 191 of its dealerships around the country so owners of the electric vehicles can stop and recharge. They won't have to be at the pump long, either. Bloomberg recently reported the vehicle is expected to achieve 60 miles of charge in just four minutes thanks to a battery that can absorb charging rates up to 350 kilowatts. By comparison, Tesla vehicles can only absorb 120 kilowatts.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/28/porsche-taycan-free-charging-electrify-america/

https://www.teslarati.com/tag/porsche-taycan/

800 V
The components of the Taycan drive system work with this voltage. New terrain, even for the prototype builders.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/fallback/en/products/porsche-taycan-mission-e-drive-unit-battery-charging-electro-mobility-dossier-sportscar-production-christophorus-387-15827.html

I take this as very good news. It means that VWAG is embracing EVs, as well as their charging network. That means they are highly likely to keep it functional. Since EA is not a walled garden like a certain competitor, this is good news for all EV drivers!

IEVS:
We Ride Shotgun In The Porsche Taycan At Goodwood
https://insideevs.com/reviews/358698/ride-shotgun-porsche-taycan-goodwood/

. . . The 800V architecture of the vehicle allows for shorter charging times: about 20 minutes for 80 percent of a full recharge.

Speaking of recharging, in front of the front doors are small fins above the air inlets. If you slide them, a cover glides elegantly out of the body and presents the power connection. On both sides, by the way, what prevents having to lead a cable around or over the car. Very convenient, since it does not matter if the wallbox in your garage is on the left or on the right.

The lithium-ion battery pack mounted under the passenger compartment will have a capacity of approximately 90 kWh. The Porsche Taycan has a trunk and a frunk, but typical customers will prefer to hear it has over 600 hp, as we already mentioned, and a top speed of more than 155 mph (250 km/h).

That, too, is not great art in itself, but Porsche engineers have two things in mind: repeatable longitudinal dynamics plus good lateral dynamics. Strictly speaking, to take less than 3.5 seconds to go from 0 to 62 mph (100 km/h) multiple times and not to corner like a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. . . .

We are finally at the start. My driver chooses the "Sport Plus" driving mode. After all, we are here in Goodwood and not at a tea party. My hand is already looking for – safety's sake – the grab handle. A wise decision.

From the very beginning, the Taycan simply goes unimaginably fast and pushes me into the seat. Holy straw sack! (Actually, my reaction was a bit more heartily formulated, if you know what I mean.)

Spontaneously, my mind wanders to warp drive on "Star Trek", while my colleague on the steering wheel throws the car into the corner without (apparently) braking hard. Roadholding: very good!

Nine curves and 1.13 mile (1.82 km) later, we jet with a not unappealing sound (my impression: a touch of a turbine) through the finish.

My driver is clearly having loads of fun and cannot avoid the laughter, but I am no longer astonished. Porsche has done a damn good job. The final judgment – the one made behind the wheel – is of course still pending. The Taycan will only be put for sale by the end of 2019.

Until then, I can only draw a simple conclusion. In a way, the Porsche Taycan is a four-door 911, but fundamentally different. Same parents, different brothers – similar in driving dynamics, completely opposite in terms of motivation. Whatever. As the composer Gustav Mahler once aptly said: “Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.”.
I suspect the Model S will have to really up its game. Finally there's a car as beautiful as it is, with Porsche performance/handling and proper development, plus faster charging. It's about time Tesla got some real competition at the high (non-CUV) end.

Porsche is diving head first into electrification. The Cayenne lineup will host three new electrified models early next year. And anticipation is building for the fully-electric Taycan. Porsche decided to increase production of the Taycan to double its initial figure. Clearly, change is coming to the German brand.

Albrecht Reimold: The Taycan opens a new chapter in our history. Porsche has deliberately decided to produce this iconic new car at its main site in Zuffenhausen, the heart and home of the brand. The Taycan is something very special. Its performance, range, and innovative 800-volt technology for the shortest possible charging times are one of a kind. It’s a pure-blooded sports car, yet also suitable for everyday driving—in other words, it’s a typical Porsche. More than twenty thousand people from around the world have already contacted Porsche with serious interest in buying the car—without even having seen it. That’s just overwhelming. What’s happening is light years beyond what we could have expected.

https://rennlist.com/articles/porsche-is-highly-optimistic-about-companys-ev-push/

Lots of hype in that statement they could not live up to. At least they are finally building an EV.

https://youtu.be/eD-qG_6Pd1Y

What I've learned about Porsche's is that you have to just want to burn money to buy a new one. The depreciation on them rivals a Leaf.

A used one that has been maintained well can be a bargain though. They are the pinnacle of German-engineered cars and they are nice cars. Just hope you don't need to buy parts for them! That gets expensive quickly even if you do the work yourself.

goldbrick said:
What I've learned about Porsche's is that you have to just want to burn money to buy a new one. The depreciation on them rivals a Leaf.

A used one that has been maintained well can be a bargain though. They are the pinnacle of German-engineered cars and they are nice cars. Just hope you don't need to buy parts for them! That gets expensive quickly even if you do the work yourself.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/08/18/dr-porsches-type-64-comes-up-short-at-monterey-2019-auction

Looks awesome! I'm excited to see what the actual specs and pricing are. You know it will have amazing handling and a nice interior coming from Porsche... my buddy has a 2014 911 turbo and it is just ridiculous. There may be a few cars that'll beat it 0-60 but the overall experience of driving that car is unbelievable. If I was richer, unmarried, and childless this thing would be on my short list. :D

golfcart said:
Looks awesome! I'm excited to see what the actual specs and pricing are. You know it will have amazing handling and a nice interior coming from Porsche... my buddy has a 2014 911 turbo and it is just ridiculous. There may be a few cars that'll beat it 0-60 but the overall experience of driving that car is unbelievable. If I was richer, unmarried, and childless this thing would be on my short list. :D

Yeah, to stereotype the potential buyers, Model S's are for the tech geeks and cool kids, and the Taycan will attract the people who have well-worn leather driving gloves and fantasize about (or actually have) driving the 'Ring, or powering out of Tertre Rouge and (quietly in this case) screaming down Mulsanne! :lol: I'm not super thrilled with all the touch screens especially for HVAC, but for now I trust that Porsche will still emphasize driver controls that are easy to use at speed without taking your eyes off the road, over gee-whiz.

But can you imagine what it will be like when Porsche decides that batteries have advanced far enough to make a BEV 911? :eek: :shock:

Back