lorenfb
Posts: 1402
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:26 pm

SageBrush wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
SageBrush wrote:I found 8 yrs/100k miles for the 30 kWh battery in a new LEAF. No luck here googling the warranty in print for a purchased, new LEAF 30 kWh battery replacement.


why would it be different?


Oh, I don't know ... ...
To save NIssan money ?


The warranty requirements and compliance are generally different when a part is replaced under the original new car warranty versus
a subsequent part replacement (owner pays) when it no longer falls within the original new car warranty. That's most likely the case
whether it's a 24kWh or a 30kWh (if possible), where the owner pays for an out-of-warranty battery replacement. Obviously, Nissan
based on "goodwill" could elect to provide the same original new car warranty to an out-of-warranty owner-pays replacement. But,
Nissan may only elect to do that for a Leaf out-of-warranty for the a 24kWh battery and not a 30kWh one. As I said, there's no industry
compliance requirements when the original new car warranty expires and the owner becomes fully responsible for future repairs
and parts. An understanding of simple contract law and logic would basically arrive at this conclusion.

Foschas
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:35 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 320277
Location: Mass

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:06 am

Warranties do not reset when you replace a part. The warranty on a replacement part is the GREATER of the original remaining warranty or 12 months/12,000 miles

**Genuine Nissan Accessories are covered by Nissan’s Limited Warranty on Genuine Nissan Replacement Parts, Genuine Nismo S-Tune Parts, and Genuine Nissan Accessories for the longer of 12 months/12,000 miles (whichever occurs first) or the remaining period under the 3-year/36,000-mile (whichever occurs first) Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Terms and conditions apply. See Warranty Information Booklet for details.

User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 5608
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:32 am

Foschas wrote:Warranties do not reset when you replace a part. The warranty on a replacement part is the GREATER of the original remaining warranty or 12 months/12,000 miles

**Genuine Nissan Accessories are covered by Nissan’s Limited Warranty on Genuine Nissan Replacement Parts, Genuine Nismo S-Tune Parts, and Genuine Nissan Accessories for the longer of 12 months/12,000 miles (whichever occurs first) or the remaining period under the 3-year/36,000-mile (whichever occurs first) Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Terms and conditions apply. See Warranty Information Booklet for details.
It seems that many (most?) here are completely unaware of the Nissan LEAF Battery Purchase Program (even though that link is to the OP of THIS thread):
Brian Brockman on June 27. 2014 wrote:...
These replacement batteries are the same battery found in 2015 LEAF vehicles, which are also on sale now at Nissan dealers. As a replacement, this battery is expected to provide similar range and charging characteristics as the battery offered since the launch of the LEAF in 2010. Changes in battery chemistry, however, have been made in an effort to make the battery more durable in extremely hot climates. (So, yes…this is what you’ve been calling the “lizard” battery.) We knew it was important to early buyers to purchase the latest technology. Holding the replacement program until this summer meant we would be offering just that.

Replacement packs will carry similar warranty coverage as a new LEAF: 8 years/100,000 miles against defects and 5 years/60,000 miles against capacity loss.
...
This post tells you who Brian Brockman was at the time:
Brian Brockman wrote:I'm Brian Brockman, and I am a senior manager in corporate communications at Nissan, based at our Americas HQ in Franklin, Tenn.
Unless someone can produce a document detailing changes to this program, we should believe that it is still in force.

The question remains: Since Brian Brockman stated that "Replacement packs carry similar warranty coverage as a new LEAF..." do purchased 30-kWh replacement packs carry an 8-year/100,000-mile warranty?
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K miles: Apr 14, 2013, 20K miles (55.7Ah): Aug 7, 2014, 30K miles (52.0Ah): Dec 30, 2015, 40K miles (49.8Ah): Feb 8, 2017, 50K miles (47.2Ah): Dec 7, 2017.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

Foschas
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:35 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Jul 2015
Leaf Number: 320277
Location: Mass

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:44 am

Replacement packs will carry similar warranty coverage as a new LEAF: 8 years/100,000 miles against defects and 5 years/60,000 miles against capacity loss.
...[/quote]This post tells you who Brian Brockman was at the time:
Brian Brockman wrote:I'm Brian Brockman, and I am a senior manager in corporate communications at Nissan, based at our Americas HQ in Franklin, Tenn.
Unless someone can produce a document detailing changes to this program, we should believe that it is still in force.

The question remains: Since Brian Brockman stated that "Replacement packs carry similar warranty coverage as a new LEAF..." do purchased 30-kWh replacement packs carry an 8-year/100,000-mile warranty?[/quote]

Good news. I wasn’t aware of this. Does a replacement battery come with a warranty document?

lorenfb
Posts: 1402
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:36 am

Foschas wrote: Does a replacement battery come with a warranty document?


The answer is as simple as that!

lorenfb
Posts: 1402
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:38 am

Foschas wrote: Does a replacement battery come with a warranty document?


Hearsay doesn't count.

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 12303
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:48 am

SageBrush wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
SageBrush wrote:I found 8 yrs/100k miles for the 30 kWh battery in a new LEAF. No luck here googling the warranty in print for a purchased, new LEAF 30 kWh battery replacement.


why would it be different?


Oh, I don't know ... ...
To save NIssan money ?


If you follow the thread, you would realize you are on a different track.

The reason you found no info is because there is no info because there is no 30 kwh packs out of warranty so there is none for sale.

Your best bet is to look at people who bought 24 kwh packs at full price out of warranty and what kind of degradation warranty they have.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 (build 10/2016)"low water marks" 27,000 miles.363GID Ahr 79.13Hx95.17%kwh28.1QCs238,L2's 251
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lorenfb
Posts: 1402
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:53 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 416635
Location: SoCal

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:07 am

DaveinOlyWA wrote:Your best bet is to look at people who bought 24 kwh packs at full price out of warranty and what kind of degradation warranty they have.


So what! To conclude that Nissan would continue potential "goodwill" customer-pay battery replacement warranty policy to 30kWh
batteries where the customer pays is naive. Furthermore, how long can Nissan financially continue to provide a new car warranty to
customer-pay 24kWh replacement batteries and not treat the battery replacement as it would any vehicle part, e.g. an alternator
with a one year warranty?

joeriv
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:33 pm
Location: Fairfield County CT

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:09 am

I went to Nissan Chat and the agent tells me that the 2018 has the 8 year degradation warranty. I'd be surprised if Nissan were not to offer any degradation warranty - deal killer for me and lots of others.

EDIT: Just noticed this is about replacement packs!
2017 Leaf S with QC, JUN mfg date

SageBrush
Posts: 1481
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:29 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
SageBrush wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:
why would it be different?


Oh, I don't know ... ...
To save NIssan money ?


If you follow the thread, you would realize you are on a different track.

The reason you found no info is because there is no info because there is no 30 kwh packs out of warranty so there is none for sale.

Your best bet is to look at people who bought 24 kwh packs at full price out of warranty and what kind of degradation warranty they have.

You seem to think that a battery replacement within the first 5 years of the model's existence not covered by warranty is an impossibility
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Return to “News & Main LEAF Discussion”