Just curious, has anyone successfully used a car dolly on a Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SyrinxTemple

I'm talking about the kind from UHaul that utilizes the front wheels only. I ask because I'm probably going to need to go beyond the single-charge driving range of a Leaf to buy one. I've found charging stations along possible routes, but for the sake of spousal approval I'd prefer just to bring it straight home. I have a truck that can do the towing, just not sure if there's anything about a Leaf that makes them incompatible with dolly's like the one I described. Thanks!

I cant see why that wouldn't work. The rear wheels would roll easily because there is not transmission or differential to get damaged. Sounds like a good plan. That is actually a great idea if you want to bring a leaf with you long distance..!!

Only issue with tow dolly is that LEAF is a wide car. You need to be careful not to turn too sharp because the U-Haul tow dollies have a turntable for the front wheels. The fenders of the tow dolly could contact the side of the car if you turn too sharp. The LEAF is a heavy car, but it rolls easy on its back wheels. I towed my 2011 across Phoenix on the freeways to participate I the Range Test in September 2012 using a U-Haul tow dolly without incident.

Edited to add: Tony Williams towed his 2012 LEAF using a U-Haul tow dolly from San Diego to Phoenix (and back) for the test.

Seems to work ok.

attachment.php

20170726_195215.jpg

I towed my LEAF home with a U-HAUL dolly.
Using a Prius v(agon), no less ;-)

Perhaps the first HEV

Hope it works out fine for you. I'd prefer to drive it myself, and start my adventure with a bang. If you've already located charge points along the way, why not?

erco said:
Hope it works out fine for you. I'd prefer to drive it myself, and start my adventure with a bang. If you've already located charge points along the way, why not?

I would love to try the charger-to-charger method if possible. I need spousal by-in to spend a whole weekend day on such and adventure (that may not pan out if I don't buy the car) and she's not quite completely onboard yet.

If purchasing is a maybe proposition and it's your first Leaf, I'd suggest finding a friend who has a Leaf to go with you on the voyage. Sounds like you're driving there ,likely with your not-quite-on-board wife who may cast a pall over or rush the decision-making process. I'd say let her stay home for the day. An informed Leaf buddy can help you decide if the car is good, point out every potential issue to negotiate the price down, and ease tensions on the drive back, even if he's following in another car. From my short experience, Leaf owners are enthusiastic and eager to help.

Excellent buying info at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25006, especially the superb Facebook page mentioned at https://www.facebook.com/notes/seattle-nissan-leaf-owners/a-guide-for-buying-a-used-leaf/1100737373291032/

Back