2018 leaf analog speedometer . Whadayathink?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
I think that in cases like that, they look at the surveys or comments, and then choose the ones they want to use as reasons for decisions already made.
LOL. Maybe so.

Users here on MNL are only a tiny cross-section of Leaf drivers and we don't know what's on the minds of folks who considered and actually test drove a Leaf but then got something else. For all we know, people perceived the Gen 1 Leaf as "slow" due to the digital speedo. Nissan had digital speedos on cars long ago (e.g. mid-80s) when lots of other automakers were doing the same. I remember the '86 Maxima owned by a friend's parents had that along w/other fad (but actually cool) features for the time like synthesized voice for "your headlights are on", "right door is open", and a keypad on the outside to unlock the car.

2002 Maxima that I had didn't have any of the above, even as a choice on loaded one.

My 04 350Z did have the choice of a digital speedo but it was on the trip computer to the right of the driver. In front of the driver was 3 round gauge areas.

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
I think that in cases like that, they look at the surveys or comments, and then choose the ones they want to use as reasons for decisions already made.
LOL. Maybe so.

Users here on MNL are only a tiny cross-section of Leaf drivers and we don't know what's on the minds of folks who considered and actually test drove a Leaf but then got something else. For all we know, people perceived the Gen 1 Leaf as "slow" due to the digital speedo. Nissan had digital speedos on cars long ago (e.g. mid-80s) when lots of other automakers were doing the same. I remember the '86 Maxima owned by a friend's parents had that along w/other fad (but actually cool) features for the time like synthesized voice for "your headlights are on", "right door is open", and a keypad on the outside to unlock the car.

2002 Maxima that I had didn't have any of the above, even as a choice on loaded one.

My 04 350Z did have the choice of a digital speedo but it was on the trip computer to the right of the driver. In front of the driver was 3 round gauge areas.

in the few screenshots I have seen showing both, they don't match so I will stick with the one. I am sure there is other stuff I'd rather have available anyway

Hi All;
I responded to this thread early but now after driving my 2015 Leaf for about 3 weeks, I'm going to add to my response. Nothing has changed since my initial response, except that I am even more pro-digital speedometer.

After coming from cars that exclusively had analog speedometers all my life and then coming to a Leaf which I've been driving for about 2 weeks, I can definitely say that I prefer the digital speedometer on my 2015 Leaf.

In the 2015 Leaf I know exactly what my speed is whereas on the old fashioned analog speedometer, I have to think sometimes what speed I'm at if I'm between numbers. I really do not understand why surveys would convince Nissan to go back to an Analog speedometer. Maybe these folks they were surveying never drove a car with a digital speedometer and only listed what they were familiar with (Analog).

I also can't understand why they would stick an ugly analog speedometer which doesn't even look like it fits there to the right of an all-digital instrument cluster. I would much rather have seen a full digital touch-screen instrument cluster - To me, that would be the ultimate status symbol in an all-electric car. Hoping Nissan gravitates to this in the next few years. If they had that, plus the 200+ mile battery, and a fully mature Pro-Pilot, I'd buy that car brand new in a heartbeat.

Tim

wtdedula said:
Hi All;
I responded to this thread early but now after driving my 2015 Leaf for about 3 weeks, I'm going to add to my response. Nothing has changed since my initial response, except that I am even more pro-digital speedometer.

After coming from cars that exclusively had analog speedometers all my life and then coming to a Leaf which I've been driving for about 2 weeks, I can definitely say that I prefer the digital speedometer on my 2015 Leaf.

In the 2015 Leaf I know exactly what my speed is whereas on the old fashioned analog speedometer, I have to think sometimes what speed I'm at if I'm between numbers. I really do not understand why surveys would convince Nissan to go back to an Analog speedometer. Maybe these folks they were surveying never drove a car with a digital speedometer and only listed what they were familiar with (Analog).

I also can't understand why they would stick an ugly analog speedometer which doesn't even look like it fits there to the right of an all-digital instrument cluster. I would much rather have seen a full digital touch-screen instrument cluster - To me, that would be the ultimate status symbol in an all-electric car. Hoping Nissan gravitates to this in the next few years. If they had that, plus the 200+ mile battery, and a fully mature Pro-Pilot, I'd buy that car brand new in a heartbeat.

Tim

Let's make a deal. I'll give you the digital speedo, if we can get rid of the stupid squared-off steering wheel. :lol:

wtdedula said:
Hi All;

Tim

I couldn't agree more! When I first saw the analog speedometer, I laughed audibly at how bad of a decision it was. I'm sorry but after driving my Leaf for almost 4 years now, a digital readout is indescribably superior to an analog readout. I cannot stand driving friends or relatives vehicles with analog gauges now, it's just like what Tim stated above, you know your current speed instantly down to the single digit. It's the same as looking at a digital watch, you know the time instantaneously. Maybe we should get rid of calculators too and go back to the abacus? Do you guys not hear yourself's, "I know what my speed is because the needle is in "X" position...". Analog gauges have ALWAYS been a guessing game when that needle moves from one of the preset numbers.

When I test drove a 2018 for about 90 minutes, I liked the analog speedometer. While I did find that I somewhat missed the precision of the digital one, it didn't matter much to me. Also, the digital readout in my 2013 Leaf is located very high, where it is just visible in my peripheral vision when I'm looking at the road. The fact that it's a big lighted changing thing sometimes distracts me from the task of driving. The analog version doesn't have this issue.

kevintylernelson said:
...It's the same as looking at a digital watch, you know the time instantaneously. Maybe we should get rid of calculators too and go back to the abacus? Do you guys not hear yourself's, "I know what my speed is because the needle is in "X" position...". Analog gauges have ALWAYS been a guessing game when that needle moves from one of the preset numbers.

In that movement lies superior accuracy. As you drive along with a "45" on your digital display, you are bouncing somewhere between the guardrails of 44 and 46, with no clue as to the magnitude and direction of drift. By the time you notice a change, I've already corrected. It's clearly visible whether the needle is at 45, or even tenth higher or lower, and the magnitude of any drift is apparent. Digits may be reassuring for people of a certain age, but they are not necessarily superior for every task. This is coming from someone with a 40 year career in I.T.. :)

Nubo said:
kevintylernelson said:
...It's the same as looking at a digital watch, you know the time instantaneously. Maybe we should get rid of calculators too and go back to the abacus? Do you guys not hear yourself's, "I know what my speed is because the needle is in "X" position...". Analog gauges have ALWAYS been a guessing game when that needle moves from one of the preset numbers.

In that movement lies superior accuracy. As you drive along with a "45" on your digital display, you are bouncing somewhere between the guardrails of 44 and 46, with no clue as to the magnitude and direction of drift. By the time you notice a change, I've already corrected. It's clearly visible whether the needle is at 45, or even tenth higher or lower, and the magnitude of any drift is apparent. Digits may be reassuring for people of a certain age, but they are not necessarily superior for every task. This is coming from someone with a 40 year career in I.T.. :)

+1

Despite the digital saying I am at a constant speed, I can frequently feel when my speed is increasing or decreasing along with trying to maintain that speed. So Digital is not what its all touted to be and the reality is you can get a smaller digital readout anyway.

But since I will be using ACC a lot, my speed is simply nonconsequential since my set speed is always displayed unlike my current "digital speedo" LEAF...

Nubo said:
kevintylernelson said:

+1

Despite the digital saying I am at a constant speed, I can frequently feel when my speed is increasing or decreasing along with trying to maintain that speed. So Digital is not what its all touted to be and the reality is you can get a smaller digital readout anyway.

But since I will be using ACC a lot, my speed is simply nonconsequential since my set speed is always displayed unlike my current "digital speedo" LEAF...

Nubo said:

I totally understand your point, the problem is that I would argue the vast majority of people do not care about the magnitude and direction of drift. This information only seems relevant if you are a mechanic or professional race car driver. The fact that I must continue to take my eyes off the road to see where a needle is pointing is way more dangerous than just glancing at a fixed digit that my brain understands instantly.

The funny thing is that this whole argument will be totally irrelevant when autonomous cars become the norm :lol:

Got to drive the 2018 Leaf this weekend.
I must say. Nice car..
(Now, I'm still OK with my decision to go for a Bolt, but that was right for me..)

I really liked the dashboard driver's display, including the analog speedometer.
Maybe it's the old geezer in me (get off my lawn!!!), but I really liked the look, and it made me feel like I had a bit of a better feel for the acceleration and deceleration of the car...

If you get a chance to check out the new Leaf, you should...

desiv

desiv said:
Got to drive the 2018 Leaf this weekend.
I must say. Nice car..
(Now, I'm still OK with my decision to go for a Bolt, but that was right for me..)

I really liked the dashboard driver's display, including the analog speedometer.
Maybe it's the old geezer in me (get off my lawn!!!), but I really liked the look, and it made me feel like I had a bit of a better feel for the acceleration and deceleration of the car...

If you get a chance to check out the new Leaf, you should...

desiv

I definitely plan on test driving it, but like you I won't be purchasing one either. I was one of the first people in line for the Model 3 preorder, so more than likely I'll be getting one when my current lease ends June 2018.. However, if that doesn't pan out for whatever reason, my choice will be for a 200+ EV. I test drove a Bolt about a month ago and it's a great car, definitely a contender as well. I really hope that one of these manufactures comes out with an SUV model by then though.

Hello All;
I initially contributed to this post when the 2018 Leaf was introduced with the silly analog speedometer among everythng else digital. After driving my used 2015 leaf for over 6 months now, I can definitely say that my opinion about Nissan's decision to put an Analog speedometer in the 2018 leaf hasn't changed. I can definitely say that I love knowing exactly what my speed is at a glance without having to interpolate between the markings on an analog dial.

Bottom line - I am not upgrading my 2015 Leaf until the new model gets rid of that old fashioned analog speedometer or offers both options - analog and digital. With new display panel technology, it is very easy to give the customer the option of an analog display or a digital display with the touch of a button.

Tim

wtdedula said:
Hello All;
I initially contributed to this post when the 2018 Leaf was introduced with the silly analog speedometer among everythng else digital. After driving my used 2015 leaf for over 6 months now, I can definitely say that my opinion about Nissan's decision to put an Analog speedometer in the 2018 leaf hasn't changed. I can definitely say that I love knowing exactly what my speed is at a glance without having to interpolate between the markings on an analog dial.

Bottom line - I am not upgrading my 2015 Leaf until the new model gets rid of that old fashioned analog speedometer or offers both options - analog and digital. With new display panel technology, it is very easy to give the customer the option of an analog display or a digital display with the touch of a button.

Tim

Your assumption that a digital readout is more accurate is laughable but what's even funnier?

On my 2018, the analog speedometer will read "about" 67 mph while displaying "65" mph which is actually quite close according to speed tests taken.

My previous LEAFs, the digital speedometer was nowhere near as accurate.

There are numerous low-cost OBDII plug-in HUD units on the market now. If the lack of big friendly digits is all that's keeping you from a 2018, there may be an easy fix. I love the idea of a HUD; although I'd want one with an analog speedo :p

My previous LEAFs, the digital speedometer was nowhere near as accurate

With 16" wheels, the digital Leaf speedo is exactly 2 MPH high, like most speedos. I can set the cruise for 57MPH in a 55 zone, and every radar I pass will display 55MPH. Same with 30MPH zones, or 45. Calling the digital unit 'laughably' anything is about as accurate as...an analog speedo.

DaveinOlyWA said:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XIG4h0VFq6VbXsNbYBspFqnPKlR3Acb_Lg/view?usp=sharing
Nissan has multiple ways to display the speed and they don't agree? :shock:
tenor.gif

Back