Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
I found 8 yrs/100k miles for the 30 kWh battery in a new LEAF. No luck here googling the warranty in print for a purchased, new LEAF 30 kWh battery replacement.

why would it be different?

Oh, I don't know ... ...
To save NIssan money ?

The warranty requirements and compliance are generally different when a part is replaced under the original new car warranty versus
a subsequent part replacement (owner pays) when it no longer falls within the original new car warranty. That's most likely the case
whether it's a 24kWh or a 30kWh (if possible), where the owner pays for an out-of-warranty battery replacement. Obviously, Nissan
based on "goodwill" could elect to provide the same original new car warranty to an out-of-warranty owner-pays replacement. But,
Nissan may only elect to do that for a Leaf out-of-warranty for the a 24kWh battery and not a 30kWh one. As I said, there's no industry
compliance requirements when the original new car warranty expires and the owner becomes fully responsible for future repairs
and parts. An understanding of simple contract law and logic would basically arrive at this conclusion.

Warranties do not reset when you replace a part. The warranty on a replacement part is the GREATER of the original remaining warranty or 12 months/12,000 miles

**Genuine Nissan Accessories are covered by Nissan’s Limited Warranty on Genuine Nissan Replacement Parts, Genuine Nismo S-Tune Parts, and Genuine Nissan Accessories for the longer of 12 months/12,000 miles (whichever occurs first) or the remaining period under the 3-year/36,000-mile (whichever occurs first) Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Terms and conditions apply. See Warranty Information Booklet for details.

Foschas said:
Warranties do not reset when you replace a part. The warranty on a replacement part is the GREATER of the original remaining warranty or 12 months/12,000 miles

**Genuine Nissan Accessories are covered by Nissan’s Limited Warranty on Genuine Nissan Replacement Parts, Genuine Nismo S-Tune Parts, and Genuine Nissan Accessories for the longer of 12 months/12,000 miles (whichever occurs first) or the remaining period under the 3-year/36,000-mile (whichever occurs first) Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Terms and conditions apply. See Warranty Information Booklet for details.
It seems that many (most?) here are completely unaware of the Nissan LEAF Battery Purchase Program (even though that link is to the OP of THIS thread):
Brian Brockman on June 27. 2014 said:
These replacement batteries are the same battery found in 2015 LEAF vehicles, which are also on sale now at Nissan dealers. As a replacement, this battery is expected to provide similar range and charging characteristics as the battery offered since the launch of the LEAF in 2010. Changes in battery chemistry, however, have been made in an effort to make the battery more durable in extremely hot climates. (So, yes…this is what you’ve been calling the “lizard” battery.) We knew it was important to early buyers to purchase the latest technology. Holding the replacement program until this summer meant we would be offering just that.

Replacement packs will carry similar warranty coverage as a new LEAF: 8 years/100,000 miles against defects and 5 years/60,000 miles against capacity loss.
This post tells you who Brian Brockman was at the time:
Brian Brockman said:
I'm Brian Brockman, and I am a senior manager in corporate communications at Nissan, based at our Americas HQ in Franklin, Tenn.
Unless someone can produce a document detailing changes to this program, we should believe that it is still in force.

The question remains: Since Brian Brockman stated that "Replacement packs carry similar warranty coverage as a new LEAF..." do purchased 30-kWh replacement packs carry an 8-year/100,000-mile warranty?

Replacement packs will carry similar warranty coverage as a new LEAF: 8 years/100,000 miles against defects and 5 years/60,000 miles against capacity loss.
...[/quote]This post tells you who Brian Brockman was at the time:
Brian Brockman said:
I'm Brian Brockman, and I am a senior manager in corporate communications at Nissan, based at our Americas HQ in Franklin, Tenn.
Unless someone can produce a document detailing changes to this program, we should believe that it is still in force.

The question remains: Since Brian Brockman stated that "Replacement packs carry similar warranty coverage as a new LEAF..." do purchased 30-kWh replacement packs carry an 8-year/100,000-mile warranty?[/quote]

Good news. I wasn’t aware of this. Does a replacement battery come with a warranty document?

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
I found 8 yrs/100k miles for the 30 kWh battery in a new LEAF. No luck here googling the warranty in print for a purchased, new LEAF 30 kWh battery replacement.

Oh, I don't know ... ...
To save NIssan money ?

If you follow the thread, you would realize you are on a different track.

The reason you found no info is because there is no info because there is no 30 kwh packs out of warranty so there is none for sale.

Your best bet is to look at people who bought 24 kwh packs at full price out of warranty and what kind of degradation warranty they have.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Your best bet is to look at people who bought 24 kwh packs at full price out of warranty and what kind of degradation warranty they have.

So what! To conclude that Nissan would continue potential "goodwill" customer-pay battery replacement warranty policy to 30kWh
batteries where the customer pays is naive. Furthermore, how long can Nissan financially continue to provide a new car warranty to
customer-pay 24kWh replacement batteries and not treat the battery replacement as it would any vehicle part, e.g. an alternator
with a one year warranty?

I went to Nissan Chat and the agent tells me that the 2018 has the 8 year degradation warranty. I'd be surprised if Nissan were not to offer any degradation warranty - deal killer for me and lots of others.

EDIT: Just noticed this is about replacement packs!

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Oh, I don't know ... ...
To save NIssan money ?

If you follow the thread, you would realize you are on a different track.

The reason you found no info is because there is no info because there is no 30 kwh packs out of warranty so there is none for sale.

You seem to think that a battery replacement within the first 5 years of the model's existence not covered by warranty is an impossibility

trangen1 said:
Thanks, I Googled it and found out what LeafSpy is, let me download the app and I'll let you guys and gals know. I'm real busy at work right now. But I'll get to it. I'm curious to see the LeafSpy specs on my LEAF myself.

Have you made any progress on finding out if you have a 30 kWh pack?
If you have a Nissan part number of the pack, that might be all you need.
Many of us still driving old Leafs are interested in what Nissan has available to replace depleted packs.

fotajoye said:
trangen1 said:
Thanks, I Googled it and found out what LeafSpy is, let me download the app and I'll let you guys and gals know. I'm real busy at work right now. But I'll get to it. I'm curious to see the LeafSpy specs on my LEAF myself.

Many of us still driving old Leafs are interested in what Nissan has available to replace depleted packs.

24kwh LEAFs get 24 kwh replacements.

30 kwh LEAFs get 30 kwh replacements.

DaveinOlyWA said:
fotajoye said:
trangen1 said:

Not according to trangen1 it doesn't! ;-)

Can anyone help. I want to replace a 2011 Gen 1 Leaf battery with what I believe is a lizard battery with 5,000 miles on it I managed to buy from a crashed leaf.

I believe there is a connection adaptor and I may need to swap the BMS from the original battery.

Thanks

B

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
fotajoye said:

Don't know about him but have you seen this?

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2017/11/what-happens-when-all-your-stuff-looks.html

DaveinOlyWA said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Don't know about him but have you seen this?

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2017/11/what-happens-when-all-your-stuff-looks.html

It was a joke from a few pages back. And yes, I read that post. Great find, but as you concluded, being able to go to a smaller battery doesn't mean the gen1 leafs can go to a larger battery.

zevpilot said:
Can anyone help. I want to replace a 2011 Gen 1 Leaf battery with what I believe is a lizard battery with 5,000 miles on it I managed to buy from a crashed leaf.

I believe there is a connection adaptor and I may need to swap the BMS from the original battery.

Thanks

B

You should contact Cor. He might be able to help you out (if you're in his area): http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21997

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
zevpilot said:

Thanks

B

You should contact Cor. He might be able to help you out (if you're in his area): http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=21997

Saw his post and I am sure he will benefit someone but my only desire is getting a bigger pack at the best price and due to lack of deposit on T3 (still hoping for a CPO option! in 2018 :) )

My options appear to be Bolt for about 34,000 (cost all in including expected discounts)

or LEAF at 26,000 which will have benefit of low lease payments for 3 years greatly easing any financial impact or commitment.

I am struggling to justify the extra commitment the Bolt currently requires. Test drove it yesterday and it exceeded my expectations including seat comfort in every way but is the range worth it at any cost?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
zevpilot said:

Thanks

B

Saw his post and I am sure he will benefit someone but my only desire is getting a bigger pack at the best price and due to lack of deposit on T3 (still hoping for a CPO option! in 2018 :) )

My options appear to be Bolt for about 34,000 (cost all in including expected discounts)

or LEAF at 26,000 which will have benefit of low lease payments for 3 years greatly easing any financial impact or commitment.

I am struggling to justify the extra commitment the Bolt currently requires. Test drove it yesterday and it exceeded my expectations including seat comfort in every way but is the range worth it at any cost?

It appears the batteries are located within the same space in the various MY Leafs. In fact the 2018 MY uses the same chassis dimensions as the older Leafs. So, the question becomes: "Why won't Nissan do the necessary engineering to fit the higher density batteries in the older models and offer the upgrade?" I have yet to read a plausible answer to this question from Nissan, only their dealers quoting Nissan's restrictive battery policy. or user speculation.

fotajoye said:
It appears the batteries are located within the same space in the various MY Leafs. In fact the 2018 MY uses the same chassis dimensions as the older Leafs. So, the question becomes: "Why won't Nissan do the necessary engineering to fit the higher density batteries in the older models and offer the upgrade?" I have yet to read a plausible answer to this question from Nissan, only their dealers quoting Nissan's restrictive battery policy. or user speculation.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=491774#p491774

The most plausible is the engineering + homologation costs will be too high to justify given what price they would have to charge vs. the actual demand. Lots of people say they want _____ but will actually not follow through or will not follow through when they hear the cost. And, Nissan core business is selling cars, which they'd rather do than selling you multi-kilobuck battery upgrades.

Nissan is well aware (well, prior to knowing about the crap degradation on the 30 kWh packs) that some (many?) folks would rather pay for a 30 kWh pack than a 24, if they have to pay full price to replace their degraded old Leaf battery.

And given the 30 kWh pack is heavier, the max cargo + passenger weight allowed will likely have to go down on cars that weren't originally 30 kWh cars.

Back