2012 CANBUS wonky, dash lights flashing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandeen

Ok, this was pretty weird - short 4 block drive this morning in my 2012, and noticed the entire (or at least most) dash display blinked off then on again; then random orange warning lights started appearing & disappearing - traction, EV system, fuel gauge light (though fully charged). LEAFSpy DTC scan had many CANBUS related errors.

This doesn't seem good. Has anyone seen this before? When I went back out w/ the LEAFSpy phone all was normal (other than the logged DTCs) and a drive around the block was uneventful ...

I wonder if there is any chance this is in any way related to the battery replacement I had a few weeks ago.

hY1L6h2.jpg

Also, check the 12-volt battery terminal connections and especially the chassis ground connection of the negative cable. The chassis ground connection looks like a cable support clip in the middle of the cable, but it is actually a compression terminal grounded to the chassis through the mounting bolt.

sandeen said:
I'll check out the 12V battery. Replaced it a month ago but who knows...
Thanks,
-Eric
Actually that makes me more suspicious. Could have got a bad one, or someone might have failed to tighten a connection adequately. It could be something bad in the new traction battery, but the 12v is much easier to check. Probably worth disconnecting the battery altogether for a few minutes to reset everything you can that way.

WetEV said:
Check your 12V battery voltage.
+1 but don't bother to check, its not a normal battery in the sense that your car uses it.. get a battery tender on it for a few nights until the the tender says GREEN all the way. Clear any DTCs in the leaf spy program and you should be good.

Back