Clipper Creek HCS-40P Power Fault/Charging Fault

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hackdroot

I got home tonight from errands with about 25% battery left and plugged in my L2 charger at home to do a on-demand charge to 80%. Hit the button in the car to start the charge and didn't hear the familiar beep and click. Went over to the CC to find both the Power Fault and Charging Fault lights both blinking red.

Tried reinserting the L2 cord, powering the car on and off, disconnecting power to the CC and nothing would work. Plugged in the factory L1 cord and the car started charging just fine. Tried the L2 again, and got the same failure. Power cycled the CC, plugged it in and waited about 5 minutes. Tried to initiate the charge again and it started working fine on L2.

2013 Leaf with 40,500 miles. Purchased the car with about 31k on it and it may have the original 12v battery. Normally I charge to 100% every workday on timer.

Any ideas?

I had the same thing happen a while back. Unfortunately it started slow and far between and I would just power cycle it and it was fine. Then it became more and more frequent, eventually about once a week. The part that was a bummer is I would plug the car in, in the evening and it would do its thing, looking fine, then in the morning when I went to leave it would be blinking orange with no charge in the car. I called CC and explained what it was doing, they had me check a few things and then they sent me a new one, I swapped them and have been golden since. They were great to work with.

BrockWI said:
I had the same thing happen a while back. Unfortunately it started slow and far between and did that once and then I would just power cycle it and it was fine. Then it because more and more frequent, eventually about once a week. The part that was a bummer is I would plug the car in, in the evening and it would do its thing, looking fine, then in the morning when I went to leave it would be blinking orange with no charge in the car. I called CC and explained what it was doing, they had me check a few things and then they sent me a new one, I swapped them and have been golden since. They were great to work with.

That's good to hear. I left their support a voicemail. Did they require you to ship the old unit back first? Did you have to pay for shipping?

They sent me the replacement one first. I told them I could use the 120 while I waited but they said then I would have the box to ship the other unit back.

BrockWI said:
Does it do it every time or just that once so far? It could have just been something odd.

Just this one time, but the fact that I had to power cycle it twice to get it to work is disconcerting. Like you, I would find out in the morning before work whether or not it failed, and although I have a van for family trips, I'd much rather drive my leaf.

Plus, I'm not too keen on having a high voltage, high current device on my garage wall with ANY known faults.

On the plus side I think it is the ground fault or some other protection failing on the side of safety rather than the other way around.

I know when mine did that I had to disconnect it from the car, turn it off for 15 seconds or so and turn it back on and wait for the ok and then plug it in to start it charging again.

I was in the same boat, we have a TDI wagon and sienna van beside the leaf, so I had to take the van.

Back