My Experience: 2018 Leaf vs 2017 Bolt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertSprings

Just finished a test drive of a 2018 Nissan Leaf SV. I was told it was car #3 of the 6 that are street legal in the US. I also purchased a 2017 Chevy Bolt LT last week and have spent a number of hours driving it. I'm a current owner of a 2015 Leaf which I have to return in a few weeks (already did the end of lease inspection). He was unable to provide any guidance on when the 2018's would be available in the US, saying the big Detroit Auto Show is were that is likely to be announced.

I found myself liking the 2018 Leaf a lot more than I thought I would. It is no secret that I feel for my driving habits I need the larger driving range the Bolt offers, but after driving the 2018 I've got to say if it was actually available to drive I'd need to rethink that decision.

Things I like with the Leaf vs the Bolt:
- Bigger. Wider. Bigger trunk.
- Softer ride
- Nicer fit and finish. It just feels like a higher grade car.
- Sunglasses holder
- I liked pro-pilot. The Bolt gets close, but the lack of adaptive cruise control in the Bolt is really unfortunate. We tried it out in some bumper to bumper traffic on the 91 and it worked great. I drive in rush hour traffic a lot and was shocked at how well Propilot dealt with it.
- CHAdeMO. At least around here, there's a lot more CHAdeMO chargers around, with most evGo locations having 2 vs 1 CCS.
- The price. SV with Pro Pilot is less and a Bolt LT.

Things I like in the Bolt vs the Leaf.
- Bigger dash screen. Really handy for Waze navigation with Android Auto. I was surprised that the 2018 SV still had such a small screen.
- The one pedal driving felt better on the Bolt in L mode than it did on the Leaf. This is totally subjective though.
- The range. The range on the Bolt has been really life changing for me. No more need to keep a second ICE for weekend driving, no more having to plan my routes in advance (for my typical drives) or having a trip ruined because I forgot to plug in Friday night. The Leaf is a step in the right direction and probably more than enough for most people who don't drive all over the IE, OC, and LA counties on weekends.
- TMS. I have been checking the Bolt boards, and it seems after a year no one is seeing any capacity losses.

If the 2018 Leaf offered a 60kW battery, it would be a no brainer for me and I'd just drive around my old ICE until they were available, but it sounds like it won't be until next summer or later until that will be available. I'm not willing to do that for a 150 mile 2018 Leaf.

"+'s of Leaf"
"Bigger Wider Trunk"
Wow, lack of storage is one of my biggest complaints of my Leaf, no way I'd want a Bolt!
"softer ride"
Yes I do like the ride of my Leaf, I'd imagine the Bolt to be sporty aka hard ride, something I'd not care for.
I also like the fit/finish of my Leaf and you can't argue with that handy sunglasses cubby!

"+'s of Bolt"
"Bigger display"
Yes it can never be too big, you should see the size of the tiny screen on my S :cry:
"one pedal driving"
I'd really like that, one reason I never take my Leaf out of ECO/B mode, I'd prefer even stronger regen than my Leaf.
"longer range"
I'd also like that!
"TMS"
While this probably doesn't affect me as much as you, I'd still prefer something better than what Nissan does, which is basically nothing :cry:

While I applaud Chevy, coming from a Leaf I just don't think I'd be satisfied with a Bolt, range aside.

I had a chance to sit In a Bolt at the car show this past weekend. The driver seat ergonomics do not work for me and it seems like a small car. There is a big black thing between the rear view mirror and the windshield which I assume is part of the driver assist stuff. It interferes with my view of the road far ahead and I personally do not trust the extra electronics so I would not consider a Bolt unless the top of the line model is available without that package.

I also saw a 2018 LEAF from the outside (it was not open or accessible). The exterior styling looked better to me in real life than in photos. The photos of the analog dash looked better than I expected, but I would still miss the digital speedometer mounted high on the dash of the existing LEAFs.

As a Leaf -> Bolt convert, I can't really argue with your list. There are elements which I disagree with, but they are all subjective.

For example:
  • The CHAdeMO advantage over CCS is really small around me, and shrinking fast. Within a year, the 3 remaining CHAdeMO-only chargers will be replaced with dual-standard ones making the charging standard an absolute wash.
  • I personally prefer a sporty drive to a luxury one, so that's actually a plus for the Bolt in my book
  • I don't get the fit/finish complaints about the Bolt. It seems a step up from my 2012 Leaf, but from pictures I can see how the 2018 Leaf leapfrogs it. Not really a big deal either way - both are logical and functional, which I cannot say is true for the Tesla Model 3.
  • Sunglasses holder is a useless waste of real-estate for me. I would rather have unused roof space for the possibility of an aftermarket sunroof. I wish that these cars came with an option for a factory-installed sunroof.

Maybe topic for a different thread...

How about compared to the VW e-golf... :?

This is the current predicament I'm in right now... have a deposit set and waiting on delivery for both,...

But I have a feeling I'll pick the first one I can get my hands on...

I really loved my eGolf SEL but I have aurthitus in my left hip. The Golf was hard to get into and out of. My B250E sits high like a SUV so I have no problem with it.

For most people this is a non issue. Both cars have enough range for me but most 2018 cars have a bigger battery for increased range. For my B this is the last year but I am good with the range. My totaled leased B had 14 months left and 9023 miles so as a retired person I do not drive much.

I wish that these cars came with an option for a factory-installed sunroof.

The Kia Soul has a panoramic sunroof available, if 93 miles of range is enough for you. I'll be driving one this weekend. The lease deals on them are fantastic now. As in a loaded (no sunroof for me, though) Soul for $147-$183 a month with $2k down and $18k in incentives.

LeftieBiker said:
I wish that these cars came with an option for a factory-installed sunroof.

The Kia Soul has a panoramic sunroof available, if 93 miles of range is enough for you. I'll be driving one this weekend. The lease deals on them are fantastic now. As in a loaded (no sunroof for me, though) Soul for $147-$183 a month with $2k down and $18k in incentives.

That is a great deal. But with only 93 miles of range, it just wouldn't be enough to warrant an upgrade. So now I'm driving a Bolt all over the Northeast (went almost 700 miles over the Thanksgiving holiday in it, enabled by DCFC in Albany, NY and Vermont).

Thanks for taking the time to write this up - as you can see, it's spurred a lively discussion. Yours is the first I've heard from anyone getting "seat time" in the new-gen LEAF. I'm glad to hear that it's a step up and in the right direction. But you're right - the lack of a battery thermal management system will continue to be the LEAF's Achilles heel until they implement one. And the main reason why I won't be getting another LEAF (well, that and the abysmal HVAC system). :roll:

I have a Tesla Model 3 on order, hopefully due in Q1 '18. It'll likely replace my wife's gasser and I'll keep our current (2011) LEAF until the wheels fall off - or the battery gets down to 8 bars again.

Enjoy your Bolt - I've heard lots of good things about it!

I realize it's mostly sour grapes, but there's got to be some truth to Tesla having major quality control issues:

http://business.financialpost.com/transportation/autos/insight-build-fast-fix-later-speed-hurts-quality-at-tesla-some-workers-say

Would give me pause about an M3, not that I can afford one :)

I've driven both a Bolt and the new LEAF. The new LEAF really reminded me a lot of the old LEAF in terms of driving dynamics. I'm not a fan of the new speedometer, but I could get used to it. I think it will sell well and that many will choose it over the Bolt. The Bolt is a very expensive car for what you get. I don't remember having a problem with the seats, but the interior materials are sub-par. I also don't care for the styling inside or out. And yes, it is a much smaller car. Also, as mentioned no advanced features like Pro-Pilot.

My biggest problem is that after logging 5.5 years and 55K+ miles in my 2012 SL, I am ready for a change. However, Pro-Pilot and the new features may be enough to convince me to give the new LEAF a go.

test drove both and blogged about both. they are both great options with their own strong points but the reality is the ONLY point in the Bolt's favor is range and its not all that huge. At first glance the question is "how much more am I willing to pay for the extra 80-90 miles of range?"

But after the drive, its more like "How much am I willing to do without?"

FYI; if you want more regen, the LEAF has it since "one pedal driving" is standard across all packages and its just like the Bolt's low gear in that it provides a much higher level of regen and unlike the Bolt double shift, the LEAF now has a single button to push to get there

The Bolt's range is tempting and the LEAF battery is still a question mark, but unfortunately the Bolt's dimensions don't work for us. Other than the battery issue (which really hasn't bitten us hard through 2 leases), I've been very pleased with LEAF's quality and reliability. I may get the 2018 LEAF or purchase my 2015 lease and bide my time. I've got a few months to make my decision.

@LeftieBiker Apparently, the EPA range of the 2018 Soul EV (30 kWh pack) is 113 miles. EPA range on a 2017 Soul EV was 93 miles, so an extra 20 miles...

DaveinOlyWA said:
the reality is the ONLY point in the Bolt's favor is range and its not all that huge. At first glance the question is "how much more am I willing to pay for the extra 80-90 miles of range?"

The bolded part is purely subjective. Sure, to you an extra 80-90 miles is "not all that huge". To me, it's the difference between another regional/commuter car and an actual road-trip car. I've now taken 2 600+ mile (round trip) road trips (without destination charging) in the 6 weeks I've had my Bolt. There are many more in store for the future. Those extra 80-90 miles make a huge difference, especially with the current state of DCQC infrastructure in Upstate NY / New England. Also, I have taken multiple ~200 mile day trips without the possibility of charging on the road. The Bolt handled it flawlessly, the Leaf would have had to stay home.

The 40kWh 2018 Leaf has a very marginal increase in utility for me over my old 24kWh 2012 Leaf. The Bolt has allowed me, for the first time, to actually visualize going 100% gas-free (which is my personal end-goal), and that's all thanks to that extra 80-90 miles of range.

LeftieBiker said:
but the reality is the ONLY point in the Bolt's favor is range

And horsepower. Two things...

...ok, range, horsepower and crisp handling. THREE things the Bolt has going for it. (With apologies to Monty Python.)

This is true, too. I definitely enjoy driving the Bolt much more than I did the Leaf. The Leaf's driving dynamics were disappointing to say the least, but I tolerated them in order to drive an electric car.

Will be putting out a blog detailing the finances of each of the 3 options; LEAF, Bolt, T3.

They are pretty extreme in differences. As far as range goes; I drive a lot so one would think that range is hyper important especially in a state where less than 10 % of the VW settlement will be for public charging but its not. What I have come to realize is that having the capacity to NOT charge to full especially in Summer is what I really need to have.

Granted, this blog will be my POV and its one that must select the options based on the greatest ROI and in the new car world that is pretty much an oxymoron.

DaveinOlyWA said:
As far as range goes; I drive a lot so one would think that range is hyper important especially in a state where less than 10 % of the VW settlement will be for public charging but its not.

Dave, I respect your opinion and appreciate how vocal you are about EVs. I'm not sure you are listening to others' opinions.

Your region is much better better covered than mine. Also, you're "drive a lot" is wildly different from my "drive a lot". I have been averaging around 2000 miles / month. I consider that driving a lot. My daily M-F driving, however, is typically less than 30 miles. My round-trip commute is 4.5 miles, and I rarely an farther than 10 miles from my home during the week.

My high mileage is because I am a bit of a "weekend warrior". I will regularly drive 500+ miles on a weekend. On average, twice a month. This is where the range of the Bolt makes all the difference over the 2018 Leaf.

I do recognize that my driving patterns are not the norm. Where I take exception is those vocal people, such as yourself, who discount or simply ignore very real use cases in favor of your own driving pattern.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Granted, this blog will be my POV and its one that must select the options based on the greatest ROI and in the new car world that is pretty much an oxymoron.

I disagree. ROI has monetary implications, but we don't have to limit ourselves to that. Since I upgraded my Leaf to a Bolt, I have been enjoying every minute of EV driving much more. I also have had many more minutes of EV driving (due to taking the car on longer trips). That joy and freedom is absolutely a return on my investment.

Back