2012 SL battery performance questions/issues with DTCs and leafspy data

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimLee said:
In my case I used to show eight cells.
As capacity fell I only rarely saw two.
With the LEAF Spy Pro change there will be zero.
#11 has always been one of my three worst cell pairs.
I noticed yesterday that it showed bad at a very high cell differential substantially below VLBW.

So I may have been wrong about the CVLI issues all going away.

#11 is getting worse.
Hopefully it doesn't fail totally like the one in JeremyW's leased LEAF did.

Today my 2012 SL Leaf with 43000 miles on it - lost 9th capacity bar. LeafSpy read Ahr=43.28, SOH 65%, Hx=44.85. I immediately went to the dealer where they did their own test whichh vehicle failed. Now 6-8 week wait for a new battery, and the most looking forward to getting anything than 35-40 miles per charge out of my Leaf

Valdemar said:
35-40 miles @43.28Ahr? How fast are you driving? I could squeeze 50 miles at below 40 Ahr and -5 bars.

You got me on that one, I used to do eco mode at 60-65mph, no longer. Now I am Drive mode - in the left lane doing 75-80mph and HOV lane as well. Just driving like I mean it.

I'll chime in here with some data with our 2013 for comparison to the OP's poor consumption rate.

This is a 2013 SV (QC/LED and premium) with 86% SOH (jumps up to 88 on occasion) and 56.5 Ahr (I've also seen over 57). Car is on original Ecopias @ 40psi

On Sunday we tested the range with the entire family (two small kids in carseats and the spouse) with about a quarter of the mileage on the highway at real highway speeds, central NC rolling hills, perfect weather, some light HVAC use, B mode plus ECO.

Started at 100% (96% and 19.1 kW according to Leafspy) and charged back to 100% after the first 25 miles)
From Nissan Connect:
Distance Traveled
90.8 miles
Electricity Consumption
21.2 kWh
CO2 Savings
60 lbs
Average Energy Economy
4.3 miles/kWh
Travel Time
2.6 hrs

Bottom line is this car has a real-world range of 75 miles for us (with our tires, driving habits, weather, terrain, etc) with an 80/20 City to Highway driving. And my wife loves that it has a very dependable 65 miles in it without any driving style changes around town with a few highway jaunts (in mild weather).

On days when I floor it at EVERY stoplight, (B mode, no ECO) through my city/rural 45 MPH 20 mile commute I cannot get below 4.0 miles/kHr. I'm talking burying the pedal at every safe opportunity, at least a dozen times.

The highway consumption is on par with the posted range charts (2.9 miles/kWh @ 80mph).

I have no other advice than to try other tires. (someone had a link to used tires that had a few options that I can't seem to find).

Good luck with the impending baby arrival. This car has been great for shuttling our 5 and 2 year old around! They love it.

Some comments on Doral Tires mentioned above. I bought a used 2015 SV with 22K miles. The backs had Bridgestone Ecopia's and fronts had Doral SDL 55A's. The Doral's look nice. I have since read and seen video Doral reviews, not specifically from EV owners. They get pretty good marks or comments for low road noise and longevity. The price is right, about half of the most discounted deal on Ecopia's you could find.

What is the efficiency? I don't have enough data to judge their relative efficiency. Well I was getting about 4.0 when I first got it, driving like I stole it. Now that I have slowed down, do a little more surface street vs. freeway, I'm getting about 4.3 to 4.8 from charge to charge. I recently went 72 miles (two 36 mile round trip) and had 13 remaining. Half of the driving was at night with lights and heater. No world record, just not bad or par for course. My point is my tire combo does not seem to hurt me.

I don't like having a mix set Bridgestone/Doral. The front tires were replaced with the Doral's before I bought it, so they have a bit more tread than the rear Ecopia's (which are not bad). So if I want a matched set I'd have to get two Doral and sell the Ecopia or get two Ecopia and sell the Doral's. However the Doral's on it now are almost new.

Looking at "off brand tires", I see others like "Milestar". Again I make no recommendation, just that Doral's I have look good and get good marks from owners for a budget priced tires. I believe they are made in China? Of course some will say China tires are made by the devil. However that is from people at tire stores selling name brand tires or who never owned one. The fact is some of the factory's in China have partnerships to make name brand tires to sell in that part of the world. They are also owned by bigger tire companies of more well known brands outside North America....

However per the other threads the usual suspects are:
Bridgestone Ecopia
Michelin Defenders
Michelin Energy Saver A/S

Used old worn tires get better mileage? Why:
  • They are lighter, less tread, less weight
    They have less traction, thus lower rolling resistance (but also less traction, which could be less safe in wet weather)
    Diameter of worn tire is smaller, so you show higher speed/miles traveled. "Apparent" mileage isn't real mileage of course.*

*Circumference of 205/55R16 tire is 78.1". Full tread depth 11/32. Worn is 2/32 tread.
Difference in Dia. from new to worn is 18/32 or 9/16 = 0.5625". Change in circumference (78.1/76.3 = 1.024 or 2.4%.
That means 85 mile range is really 83 miles. No big deal, but if you go from worn to new and disappointed by your range,
in part it's a measurement error of about 2.5% for this size tire.

Looking at "off brand tires", I see others like "Milestar". Again I make no recommendation, just that Doral's I have look good and get good marks from owners for a budget priced tires. I believe they are made in China? Of course some will say China tires are made by the devil. However that is from people at tire stores selling name brand tires or who never owned one. The fact is some of the factory's in China have partnerships to make name brand tires to sell in that part of the world. They are also owned by bigger tire companies of more well known brands outside North America....

Just to clarify that argument for you: Chinese-made tires from international brand factories located in China are usually fine. Chinese Brand tires, made by Chinese companies in China, are the more problematic ones. There is no international reputation to protect, and the competition among Chinese companies is pretty fierce, so production standards are more lax.

for what it's worth, i'm posting a final update to this thread: my car is a worthless piece of crap.

i've monitored the battery pack closely over my 3 years of ownership. i've watched the capacity shrink from 12 bars to 10. i've kept the tires 44 psi at running temp. i STILL get the same ~35 miles from a full SOC that i got nearly 2 years ago; after that i'm dead on the side of the road. i've been through a half dozen 12 volt batteries; that's not the issue (they get deeply discharged whenever the car dies on me. in that state you can't turn the car off and it pulls massive current from the 12v battery).

all nissan corporate will say is "if the battery passes the warranty test then it's fine". i've had other 2012 LEAF SL owners who regularly get 75-100 miles out of their cars drive my car and observe the horrendous range issue. the battery is NOT fine. the warranty tests do NOT expose all modes of failure. nissan does NOT stand behind their product. and there is nothing i can do about it but suck it up and move on.

i deeply regret my decision to purchase this car. i will never buy another nissan (or infinity/etc).

Back