Steel Rims vs. Alloy ... buying used wheels for winter tires

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmc

I've been shopping around for used rims / wheels for my 2013 Leaf for a set of winter snow tires.

Having read here that a range of OEM Altima wheels (2002-2006 ?) will fit the Leaf, I've got a line on some used steel wheels for very reasonable price within a 90 minute drive.

I also found a set of OEM Altima alloys, more expensive and conveniently (!) located 4 hours away.

I can make an excuse to drive to get the alloys but am curious if the weight difference between the steelies and alloys is great enough to justify getting the alloys over the steelies.

FWIW our Leaf commute is roughly 22 miles one way and use roughly 35% of a full charge each direction. So round trip in average temperatures uses roughly 70% charge, so I expect to lose some range once winter hits. This is our first year with the Leaf so haven't experienced winter range loss yet, and if one set of rims would make much difference over the other.

Looking at putting winter Nokkians on these rims.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on which rims you'd go for. :)

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is a huge difference in weight on the factory alloy wheels versus the steel. It is mostly cosmetic. You can get lighter aftermarket wheels, and it can make a difference, but your biggest concern in winter driving range will be due to the use of the heater. Several people have resorted to heated jackets, and the like, to avoid using the heating system too much.

I agree with above. While 44 miles may be fine in the spring summer and fall, it can be iffy in a blizzard or sub-zero temps. In such conditions, I've seen my normal 70'ish mile Leaf be below 40 :( with much heater use. It's crazy how conditions can affect range but I guess if you think of ICE vehicles, one that might get 30mpg in the summer could be hard pressed to get 15 in bitter cold conditions.
AFA your tire/rim question, personally I'd stick with the steelies, just don't care for how often AU rims leak, especially in the cold. Weight is probably negligible difference, winter tires on the other hand make a world of difference on the Leaf, making it go from a somewhat decent winter handling car to a very good handling car, I'd suggest them even if it means a slight hit in mileage. Truthfully when it's snowy and very cold I don't think they'll make as much difference as say using the same tires in the summer would, your range will be poor no matter what tires you use :(
Do you have a possibility of charging at your half way point? Even L1 would help a lot, I know it may be hard to believe how much cold/wind and snow can affect your range, but it does :)

Thanks for the replies. :)

Driver 1 has L1 charging available at the halfway point, and she uses it regularly, it has been very handy.

Driver 2 doesn't really have charging available at her school, there is an L2 charger at Nissan that can be used in a pinch. We'll have to see how bad the range hit is once it gets properly cold here.

We've made use of the climate control timer in the morning, which helps for the journey there, we'll have to see how the drivers fare in the winter cold after work/school is done. I'm guessing Driver 2 is going to crank up the heat (along with the tunes) :lol:

pmc said:
Thanks for the replies. :)

Driver 1 has L1 charging available at the halfway point, and she uses it regularly, it has been very handy.

Driver 2 doesn't really have charging available at her school, there is an L2 charger at Nissan that can be used in a pinch. We'll have to see how bad the range hit is once it gets properly cold here.

We've made use of the climate control timer in the morning, which helps for the journey there, we'll have to see how the drivers fare in the winter cold after work/school is done. I'm guessing Driver 2 is going to crank up the heat (along with the tunes) :lol:
I don't want to scare you but rather make you aware of the issue. I think only a couple times last winter did I have a range around 40 miles, most of the time more like 50-60 even in zero temps, it's sub zero, wind and snow that really eat the range :)

jjeff said:
I don't want to scare you but rather make you aware of the issue. I think only a couple times last winter did I have a range around 40 miles, most of the time more like 50-60 even in zero temps, it's sub zero, wind and snow that really eat the range :)

Oh, no worries, I appreciate the info.

Driver 1 commute is at mostly highway speed (65 to 75). Driver 2 commute is 55mph for 50 to 60% of the way (if she doesn't speed...) so I'll bet that will be a factor to consider too.

There aren’t that many sub-zero days per year; if Driver2 has an alternate route with slower roads, that can add range to compensate for the temp. On my commute, I have a choice of freeway 55mph, county road 45mph, or city street 35mph. Especially when coming home (with a cold car), she may have more time to take the slow route.

Minnesota here, with a '12 LEAF

We have steel rims with Michelin "Ice" snows and they are great. turns the LEAF into a real snow animal.

My wheels came from a Mazda 3; perfect fit.

By the way, cold weather (and head winds) are a bear and you really need to be aware of the range loss due to sub-zero weather. If you can boost charge at work on those days, it is recommended, or as a minimum pre-heat the interior of the car so you get a head start on "comfort". We find the windows fog up pretty fast when super cold, unless there is brilliant sun to clear the glass, so we wind up needing the defroster/heat.

Twiggy said:

We have steel rims with Michelin "Ice" snows and they are great. turns the LEAF into a real snow animal.

By the way, cold weather (and head winds) are a bear and you really need to be aware of the range loss due to sub-zero weather. If you can boost charge at work on those days, it is recommended, or as a minimum pre-heat the interior of the car so you get a head start on "comfort". We find the windows fog up pretty fast when super cold, unless there is brilliant sun to clear the glass, so we wind up needing the defroster/heat.
What year Mazda 3?(if it might matter). Also were they originally the same size tire as our 16" Leaf uses? Are you just forgoing the TPMS during the winter then? and live with the light always being on. The OEM Ecopia's aren't too bad but my '12 with California summer tires are CRAP in the snow! but they are almost new and I'd like to use them in the summer and go with the X-ice for winter use.
I agree, blizzards are a real killer for range, I had one trip a few years ago where I was looking for a charge after only 30 miles :(

Twiggy said:

Hi Minnesota, Wisconsin here! Whelp I am ordering the tires... couldn't find any suitable rims locally so I'll just go with steel.

Thanks for the tips on range & cold weather. Driver 1 does have charging at work, so she's fine. Driver 2 really doesn't but there is a Nissan dealer just up the street with a Level 2 she can use to add some juice if needed.

Now to deal with the heater... which isn't working today and it is 1F / -20C ... Brrr :)

Just swapped on new steelies and snows this weekend, and what a difference compared to the stock Michelins. I didn't weight the alloy vs steel wheel/tire combos but they didn't feel noticeably different in weight as I horsed them around. Whereas, the same is not true for the wheels on my '08 Honda Fit, the alloys are definitely lighter.
My 2015 SV has 17" alloy wheels and I opted for 16" steelies with a 205R60 tire to give the same overall diameter/height with a slightly narrower tire. The car is new to us so we'll see how the winter range drops with both weather and the less efficient tires.

pmc said:
Well I went with steel. Got the Nokians put on as well, will have to wait for some proper snow again to see how awesome they are. :)
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the rims and how much did it end up costing you?
I should also swap my summer tires on my '12 for snow, they aren't so good on ice and snow. Not that the newer Ecopia A/S's on my '13 are great but they at least they aren't bad! After my 50% left summer tires wear out I'd probably just replace them with Ecopia's and be done with it. Well I'd probably continue to swap until the winter tires were worn out but after than just stick to one tire.
Never having purchased summer tires I had no idea how poor they'd work in the winter. I'd never have purchased them myself but they came on my lease return '12 which came from Southern CA, a place where you could probably get by with summer tires, year round.

jjeff said:
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the rims and how much did it end up costing you?
I should also swap my summer tires on my '12 for snow, they aren't so good on ice and snow. Not that the newer Ecopia A/S's on my '13 are great but they at least they aren't bad! After my 50% left summer tires wear out I'd probably just replace them with Ecopia's and be done with it. Well I'd probably continue to swap until the winter tires were worn out but after than just stick to one tire.
Never having purchased summer tires I had no idea how poor they'd work in the winter. I'd never have purchased them myself but they came on my lease return '12 which came from Southern CA, a place where you could probably get by with summer tires, year round.

Hi Jeff, the rims were around $56 each, and the Hakkapeliittas were $110 each. Local tire shop fitted them for me.

On our two other vehicles we've been swapping winter and summer tires (but I bought the winter wheels & tires used for both of those cars). Winter tires really help, and I like having a second set that I can swap myself.

Leaf was due for tires anyway, I'll have to plan for new summer tires in the Spring, the Ecopias were original (car has 32,600 miles) and are pretty much toast. :D

Interestingly, the tire guy also recommended steel rims over alloy, less prone to leaks over time I guess. I had shopped around for used steelies on Craigslist but didn't get far in my search.

IdEjFCX.jpg

X3nLQxr.jpg

I run the Bridgestone Blizzacks in winter. I have Nokians on another other car and they are better but both are significantly better than all seasons. It is fun to be next to a SUV or truck with all wheel drive and just leave them behind sliding all over at a light :) I would also suggest steel for winter tires, the stock are almost identical in weight.

Anyway the steels are 16x6.5 5x114.3 bore +40 offset and 66.5 mm, the part number on the steel is 62607, I just searched for that and found a couple that way.

PMC, thanks, I'll have to think about that. IMO they do look rather nice on your Leaf, kind of butches it up a bit, trucky like :)

BrockWI said:
I run the Bridgestone Blizzacks in winter. I have Nokians on another other car and they are better but both are significantly better than all seasons. It is fun to be next to a SUV or truck with all wheel drive and just leave them behind sliding all over at a light :) I would also suggest steel for winter tires, the stock are almost identical in weight.

Anyway the steels are 16x6.5 5x114.3 bore +40 offset and 66.5 mm, the part number on the steel is 62607, I just searched for that and found a couple that way.

Thanks Brock. Closest I had found were some similar rims from an Altima over in Oshkosh, but I couldn't tell how rusty they were from the Craigslist photos :lol: I'm running Blizzaks on the minivan and General Altimax on the old Toyota. Amazing what a difference a good snow tire will make.

We'll have to have a Wisconsin Leaf meetup sometime. If I can find a charger between here and there LOL

jjeff said:
PMC, thanks, I'll have to think about that. IMO they do look rather nice on your Leaf, kind of butches it up a bit, trucky like :)

Thanks Jeff .. yeah we thought the rims make the car look a little tougher too, which is good since its whine isn't that intimiating :lol:

It'll fit right in here in the wintertime since so many people drive beaters. :)

Back