At what SOC does Leaf shut down?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenboo

Hi. I have a 2011 Nissan Leaf. I've lost two bars of battery capacity since I purchased the vehicle new in 2011. Overall, the car has worked very well for me.

I'm using the free android version of LeafSpy (with an OBD-II to bluetooth adapter), which shows battery state of charge. Does anyone know at what S.O.C. the car will shut down?

Also: I usually charge at 120 volts. However, is it necessary to charge occasionally at 240 volts to balance the cells? If so, how often should I do this?

Thanks.

kenboo said:
Hi. I have a 2011 Nissan Leaf. I've lost two bars of battery capacity since I purchased the vehicle new in 2011. Overall, the car has worked very well for me.

I'm using the free android version of LeafSpy (with an OBD-II to bluetooth adapter), which shows battery state of charge. Does anyone know at what S.O.C. the car will shut down?

Also: I usually charge at 120 volts. However, is it necessary to charge occasionally at 240 volts to balance the cells? If so, how often should I do this?

Thanks.

I'm not sure at what SOC the Leaf shuts down, but I'm guessing around 5%.

Balancing the cells is done by giving the battery pack a full charge until it shuts off on its own. It doesn't matter if it is at 120 or 240 volts, 120 just takes longer. It should be done at least once a month, I would recommend every 10 days. Just don't let the battery sit at 100% charge for extended periods, especially during hot weather. Charge to 100% when you will be driving it soon after charging finishes. If your range requirements allow it, charge to 80% the rest of the time.

kenboo said:

Thanks.

The Leaf does not shutdown at a fixed SOC percentage, but rather at the voltage of the lowest cell. 0.3% or more, depending on the balance of the pack.

Back