retrofitting 2016+ SV/SL infotainment to earlier models

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

estomax

Hey Guys,

Has anyone started doing research on retrofitting their earlier model Leaf SV/SL with 7" touchscreen with the new 2016+ 7" infotainment? it supports mobile apps and text messaging.

thanks,
Marko

Also interested in Atlanta. Have not replaced the 2g radio in my 2011 SL (with free under warranty 2015 lizard battery replacement) and was thinking of just getting the whole thing from a 2016 SL. Seen them online in junkyards for $149

Since the NAV system on the SV/SL is integrated into many of the car functions, and possibly paired to the car, attempting such a swap may require the assistance of a dealer and a Consult tool. Hopefully, it is not that integrated, and you could just swap the units, provided the wiring harnesses are the same. The $149 for a unit out of a wrecked car is not that bad, but it could take anywhere from four to twelve hours to do the swap, just to see if it will work.

braineo said:
Also interested in Atlanta. Have not replaced the 2g radio in my 2011 SL (with free under warranty 2015 lizard battery replacement) and was thinking of just getting the whole thing from a 2016 SL. Seen them online in junkyards for $149

These 2 items should not be viewed as "one big swap". I won't comment on the head unit (that's a rat's nest of issues), but the TCU/modem cannot be 'swapped' between cars and expected to work without significant Nissan intervention (not to mention there are security issues between the TCU and head unit).

Install a double din aftermarket unit, maybe something with CarPlay or Android Auto depending on your flavor preference. This will get you new features to a car that didn't have them originally, and future updates add to its usefulness. Although you spend around $600-700, its MUCH cheaper than trying to swap a previous stock upgrade into it.

dmbshn41 said:
Install a double din aftermarket unit, maybe something with CarPlay or Android Auto depending on your flavor preference. This will get you new features to a car that didn't have them originally, and future updates add to its usefulness. Although you spend around $600-700, its MUCH cheaper than trying to swap a previous stock upgrade into it.

This is not really possible on a SV or SL, and is bad advice to suggest trying. Too many of the cars features and function are integrated into the NAV system. The S model is a different animal, and several have posted showing the results of upgrading the radio with an aftermarket unit.

Back