2013-2014 bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SeasonsAfter said:
Any others in the manufacture date 1/2013- 3/2013 with Leaf Spy stats they would like to share? AHr and Hx numbers might be different than the 2011 and 2012 models. I am hoping so.

Mine MFG date is 3/13, AHr 56.28, SOH 86%, Hx 82.37%, ODO 45,113, 27QC, 1830L1/L2

WA car all its life, I treat the battery pretty well, except it's parked outdoors at work so during the summer months it can get pretty hot (~90F inside).

Thanks for the additional numbers, looks like your battery numbers are good. No chance of a warranty replacement for you.

The leaf is great, thanks Nissan for a car without many issues other than battery degradation.

Any other 2013 Leaf Spy stats anyone else can share with manufacture date January 2013 through March 2013?

Thanks for all the forum help. I wish I was on this forum a year ago! I am glad I made the move to own a Nissan Leaf. Teslas are a money pit...

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/03/07/repairing-my-tesla-model-s-has-been-an-utter-night.aspx

It looks like my 5/2013 built Leaf is now getting really close to losing 1 bar. I did the best I could to keep it out of high temps during the summer. I generally succeeded on work days (e.g. got it into an area that stayed below 80 F even on 90+ F ambient temp days and always kept it out of the sun). I also left my car outside for several hours each night to cool before driving it into my garage at home.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already as I've not seen SOH this low nor Hx down to 80.xx% before.

As of earlier this evening (11/20/17)
AHr: 54.86
SOH: 83%
Hx: 80.77%
odo: 49,563 miles

I figured it'd happen soon after SOH hit 84% back on 11/15, but I guess not.

hmmwv said:
SeasonsAfter said:
Any others in the manufacture date 1/2013- 3/2013 with Leaf Spy stats they would like to share? AHr and Hx numbers might be different than the 2011 and 2012 models. I am hoping so.

Mine MFG date is 3/13, AHr 56.28, SOH 86%, Hx 82.37%, ODO 45,113, 27QC, 1830L1/L2

WA car all its life, I treat the battery pretty well, except it's parked outdoors at work so during the summer months it can get pretty hot (~90F inside).

your stats are VERY good for a 3/13 build. Several have had much worse with the general consensus that "4/13" packs and later having much more durability.

As far as parking in Sun, keep SOC lower as much as possible and that will help. Other than that, your car's interior will be well over 100º but not sure the interior temps play that much of a role on the battery temps. Your driveway composition maybe the the important variable. White concrete will have less radiant heat over black asphalt.

cwerdna said:
It looks like my 5/2013 built Leaf is now getting really close to losing 1 bar. I did the best I could to keep it out of high temps during the summer. I generally succeeded on work days (e.g. got it into an area that stayed below 80 F even on 90+ F ambient temp days and always kept it out of the sun). I also left my car outside for several hours each night to cool before driving it into my garage at home.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened already as I've not seen SOH this low nor Hx down to 80.xx% before.

Just broke 40,000 miles a few weeks ago myself and know I am on borrowed time as well. I have not looked at my LS stats in about 4 months. Guess I don't want to know how close to the edge I am. Put new ecopia+ tires on a couple months ago and took a good hit on mileage since then. I've got about 4500 miles on them now and have recovered a little bit since, but I can tell my range is not where it used to be with them.

Funny thing, when the cooler weather arrived recently, I readjusted my PSI up to 45 (it was at 37). It feels like I went backwards in range since then. I'm temped to drop them back down and track the change since my drive is pretty static and consistent.

I work in Livemore, so I could not avoid the heat while parking, but did park in the shade on those 95+ days. I park in the garage when home unless temps overnight were significantly cooler outside. I still charge to 100% every workday and usually never get below 25%.

I'll be sure to update the thread when that 1st bar drops.

cwerdna said:

I finally lost my 1st bar tonight on 11/21/17.

I know in the morning I had all 12 bars. I'm pretty sure I left work w/all 12 bars. I stopped to get something to eat on the way home and when I powered up, 1 bar was gone. Upon connecting w/Leaf Spy my stats w/the bar gone were:
(Leaf Spy's SOC: 64.9%)
AHr: 54.88
Hx: 80.83%
odo: 49,598 miles
0 QCs (this car doesn't have a CHAdeMO inlet)
3212 L1/L2s (I use the charging timers with the 80% midnight to midnight trick virtually every workday so I know this count is way inflated due to its quirks. If I charge at home (rare), I usually use a timer since I'm on a TOU plan and also want to limit the amount of time spent at 100% charge.)

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=430825#p430825 had this car's stats when I bought it used in July 2015. Carfax and Autocheck say my car was manufactured 5/23/13. Carfax says my vehicle was first "sold" on 6/22/13.

Anyone here have an '11 or '12 Leaf in the South Bay part of the SF Bay Area have/had a build month 4 to 6 in 2011 or 2012? If so, at about what mileage and vehicle age did your first bar go?

If nobody gets to it, I'll try to add myself and a few other bar losers (esp. some of the 30 kWh ones) sometime between this weekend and end of year to http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss.

My 2014 S just lost its first bar yesterday. I only bought it a month ago, great timing on the seller's part! Will have to check LeafSpy & report back with some Hx/SoH numbers. 30,700 miles on the car, which was sold originally in Georgia then came to southern California, so it has seen some fairly warm summers.

Living in NorCal Bay Area, very nice cool temperatures. We see about seven or less 100F degrees days in a year. The battery temperature has almost always been in the 5 range and only saw it a few times on 6 in summers and start the day off with 4 bars on most winter days. Always parked and charge the car overnight after 12AM and end charge before 6AM in the cooler temperatures. The cars day begins around 8AM and ends by 7:30PM.Daily commute use of about 35 miles a day and weekend probably another 40 miles. Always driven carefully no problems with the car so far. All battery tests at Nissan came out to be perfect.

This is what the free version of Leaf Spy showing
May 25th 2014 delivery
32,254 miles (probably happened into last 100 odd miles.
AHr= 56.02
SOH= 85%
Hx= 83.36%
383.72V -.083A
8 QCs
1549 L1/L2 - So about 800 Charges (timer use) : Mainly using 240V 12A, 16A or 27A

Current SOC = 67.4% Temperatures outside are about 55F and the after a 6 mile drive the Temperature sensors are all showing 63 -61F range.
Also I was getting 4.6 miles/KwHr till I changed my tires 6000 miles ago and it went down to 4.0 miles/KwHr with new tires. Now it has slowly climbed to about 4.3 miles/KwHr.

I am not very clear with all the above Leaf Spy battery specific terms and still trying to learn them.
Do these look normal?? Based on all the reading on the forums, It seems a bit early to me.

Any thoughts?? :( :(

TIA

So this is a 2014? If you leave it sitting at 100% charge for hours regularly, this is to be expected. If not, then it's a little early, but not amazingly so.

LeftieBiker said:
So this is a 2014? If you leave it sitting at 100% charge for hours regularly, this is to be expected. If not, then it's a little early, but not amazingly so.

Never was the car left at 100% for over a few hours. 8AM it starts getting used and usually it is changed by 4-5AM. Really these batteries are that sensitive to charging and sitting at 100%?? BTW this is not everyday, if we have enough charge we DO NOT charge the car. But it goes on its trip to work nd gets charged to usually 100% there and within a few hours again it heads back home which easily consumes 20%. I can't believe if we leave this car at 100% for a few hours 3-4 max it can affect the battery so much!!

It seems to depend on how hot the pack is as well. Mine is sitting out there at about 99%, and I won't be driving it until tomorrow evening. But it's cold here, and cold packs seem to tolerate sitting around fully charged much better than hot ones. So unless you're leaving it fully charged for several hours and also at more than 5 temp bars, I wouldn't expect that to be the main reason for the SOH.

maini said:
This is what the free version of Leaf Spy showing
May 25th 2014 delivery
32,254 miles (probably happened into last 100 odd miles.
AHr= 56.02
SOH= 85%
Hx= 83.36%
383.72V -.083A
8 QCs
1549 L1/L2 - So about 800 Charges (timer use) : Mainly using 240V 12A, 16A or 27A
I am not very clear with all the above Leaf Spy battery specific terms and still trying to learn them.
Do these look normal?? Based on all the reading on the forums, It seems a bit early to me.
There is help built into the app, at least the pro version. And, for the pro version, it has directions on how to mail the author for a PDF of the same help.

You saw my earlier post about when I lost my 1st bar on my 5/2013 built '13. After some fuller charges and deeper discharges, my SOH and Hx values have risen to be like yours and I'm still down a bar.

Just thought I'd add my stats in here for whatever purpose it might serve. My 2013 SV was built 8/13 and went into service 10/13. Obviously a lease in San Jose, CA, I purchased it here in Olympia, WA with 84 SOH at 32K miles in May of this year. I drive about 17 miles a day round trip to work, charging every third day if I charge to 100% on timer or 2 days at 80%, all L2 charging. I seem to have lost a lot of range in the last month since it's gotten colder and wetter around here, but still possible to get 2 days out of the 80% charge. The GOM tells me I have about 55 miles at 80%, which is extremely optimistic at this point. We drive it whenever we can on weekends, almost always short hops of 10 miles or less.
As of last week, it had 35,607 on the odometer, 82.38% SOH, 76.05 Hx and 53.876 AHr.
Still works great for me, but I do wonder what I will do in a couple years if the battery degradation becomes an issue. I do find myself stressing over the range at times, even though I can easily go 2 days without charging. The thought of taking it on a trip more than 25 miles from home seems almost reckless!
On the other hand, we have gone from spending about $150 a month on gas to about $40 or less.

Two suggestions: use the more accurate range estimator that is activated by the blue button on the steering wheel (use the lower number on the Nav screen), and when you know you will use the car right after charging, especially in mild weather, charge to the full 100%. Wait until the charge lights all go out, because your pack may be in need of equalization.

I think that range loss becomes more noticeable as the SOH nears 85%. I think mine is about 86%, and I really notice having less range than last Winter..

maini said:
LeftieBiker said:

Never was the car left at 100% for over a few hours. 8AM it starts getting used and usually it is changed by 4-5AM. Really these batteries are that sensitive to charging and sitting at 100%?? BTW this is not everyday, if we have enough charge we DO NOT charge the car. But it goes on its trip to work nd gets charged to usually 100% there and within a few hours again it heads back home which easily consumes 20%. I can't believe if we leave this car at 100% for a few hours 3-4 max it can affect the battery so much!!

So you charge to 100% sometimes twice a day with one being during the day?

What SOC are you at when you get home on a day you charged to 100% at work?

Hi All,

I thought I would check in as I hopefully round the bases soon on my fourth bar.

02/13 delivery. I contacted Nissan, my warranty is good to July 18'

odo: 34,869
AHr= 43.14
SOH= 65%
Hx= 59.58%
381.81VV

I know the 11 & 12s dropped the fourth bar at an earlier AHr than the 13s. What is the general consensus when it should drop?

Thanks!

DaveinOlyWA said:
maini said:
LeftieBiker said:

So you charge to 100% sometimes twice a day with one being during the day?

What SOC are you at when you get home on a day you charged to 100% at work?

No we don't.
If it charged at work it reaches home at about 75% and we DO NOT charge the car. It goes to work again and charges there for free. Sometimes if we miss changing at work we charge at home. Also as long as we have about 40+ miles on the car we again go to work and charge as that takes it to about 30 off miles remaining.

Hoshnasi said:
02/13 delivery. I contacted Nissan, my warranty is good to July 18'
I'm confused by this. Is 2/13 the build month or the 1st original in-service date? If it's the latter, you don't have until July 2018. You have 5 years or 60K miles from OIS date, whichever comes first.

I suspect that the 2/13 was delivery to dealer, and actual sale/in service date was later. I seem to remember Carfax using language like "manufactured and delivered to dealer."

Back