Committed LEAF 2018 Buyer: Raise Your Hand

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
...It is best that these early LEAF adopters move on to another marque and become that marques problem...
Unfortunately, only a few of them have also moved on to other forums to post their repetitive and uninformed hysterical rants.

Jalopnik below accurately describes why few 2018 LEAF buyers are as likely to be committed as some other BEV manufacturers' rabid enthusiasts are:

The 2018 Nissan Leaf Is An Electric Car For Calm, Rational Adults

Ask any random person to name an electric car, chances are really good they’ll say the name “Tesla.” Tell them to point to the first electric car they happen to see while out in the world, and it’s much more likely their finger will be targeted at a Nissan Leaf. That’s because despite Tesla capturing the mind and imagination of everyone who talks about EVs, the Leaf is the most-sold battery-electric vehicle. Now, Nissan has made it a lot better. But better doesn’t exactly mean exciting.

The Leaf has had a nice long run without a major update, but it’s clearly showing its age. The range, which has improved from about 75 miles when it came out in 2011 (though Nissan liked to claim 100 miles) to 107 miles for the outgoing 2016 model is a lot less than the recent crop of 200+ mile EVs like the Chevy Bolt and the Tesla Model 3, whenever they actually start making those for real.

So, while Tesla has been hogging all the attention, the Leaf has been quietly turning electrons into human-ass transport for over seven years. It’s ready for a refresh.

The 2018 model is still built on the same basic platform, but nearly everything on that platform has changed: there’s an all-new body, a denser battery pack (40 kWh instead of 24 kWh) giving a range of about 150 miles, more power (up to 147 horsepower), and now the Leaf has some limited assisted driving features as well.

It’s a dramatically improved car, but the car itself is anything but dramatic. The new 2018 Leaf is a well-thought-out, carefully designed electric vehicle that will likely do its job very capably, but is not exactly a car I can picture anybody actually desiring.

Sure, I think a lot of people will get out laptops and pads of paper and do some very careful cross-shopping and make long pro/con lists and eventually come to the careful, tedious conclusion that, yes, the 2018 Nissan Leaf makes the most sense.

I think that’s pretty much what passes for desire for this car...
https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-nissan-leaf-is-an-electric-car-for-calm-ratio-1821094905

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
It is clear you are not interested in the slightest, so why clog up this topic with saying so?
For the same reason you posted in this thread even though it is clearly directed to those who have decided to buy the car, not people like you who might.

SageBrush said:
rcm4453 said:
WetEV said:
Nissan has a history of large discounts from MSRP. $30k MSRP means well under $30k actual selling price.

Nissan Leaf is a very reliable car, and I'm on track for over 100k miles on my battery.

Well you wouldn't be saying that if you had the crappy 30kwh battery!

Obviously Nissan took a huge step backwards with 2016 & 2017 Leaf 30kwh batteries. Reminds me of the crappy canary battery they used from 2011- March of 2013.

Nissan just doesn't know what they're doing when it comes to the battery portion of the Leaf.
He also lives in Seattle, WA.

It's the other 98% of the country that agrees that the Nissan battery is poor.

This is a comment coming from someone living in Minnesota and you still think the weather is the only thing that matters??

DaveinOlyWA said:
This is a comment coming from someone living in Minnesota and you still think the weather is the only thing that matters??
I think that defenders of the LEAF battery that live in atypically moderate, let alone cool, climates should realize that their LEAF battery experience is likely to be a lot more favorable than the rest of the country.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I think that defenders of the LEAF battery that live in atypically moderate, let alone cool, climates should realize that their LEAF battery experience is likely to be a lot more favorable than the rest of the country.

Not a realistic statement. I have PLENTY around me who are no less upset over how their packs are degrading.

I've only skimmed bits but of this thread and there seems to be a lot of discussion and arguing here with very few (or nobody, so far) committing to buying but a few possibly leasing, provided the EV tax credit isn't killed before they begin leasing/buying.

Perhaps there should be a new thread for who ISN'T planning on buying or leasing an '18 Leaf along w/why and other factors (e.g. market dynamics, pricing, competitors, etc.)? That would probably be most folks here on MNL, esp. given we don't know lease details, and battery degradation characteristics. I suspect quite a few are waiting to hear about the longer range version while many others are content w/what they have now.

Side note: For folks who live outside CA, CARB emission states and stronger EV markets, the choices of available pure BEVs can be very limited, beyond Leaf. This guy who lives in Louisville, KY which he says has a population of 1.27 million at https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/are-you-considering-a-switch-to-all-electric-vehicle.552827/page-8#post-11292195 (you need to be a free member of TCF to see it) claimed he had only had these choices in Aug 2017: Leaf, Tesla Model S and X.

The rest were one of these: n/a in his state or not available for sale locally. He said he checked inventory of 4 Nissan dealers in his metro area and they showed none in their inventory. And, he said he'd have to drive 1.5 hours to Cincinnati to test drive a Tesla.

Eventually, he tried seeking out a Bolt at a Chevy dealer and struck out on the 1st one: https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/are-you-considering-a-switch-to-all-electric-vehicle.552827/page-19#post-11293502 and finally test drove one about a week later: https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/chevy-bolt-electric-vehicle.535849/page-19#post-11299655. But still, slim pickings for him and probably quite a bit of the US.

Maybe we should do a post on who is really secretly waiting for the 60 kwh LEAF and when it might be available. I was told Early 2019 but have read several things that seem to imply anywhere from late Summer to mid Fall 2018?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Maybe we should do a post on who is really secretly waiting for the 60 kwh LEAF and when it might be available. I was told Early 2019 but have read several things that seem to imply anywhere from late Summer to mid Fall 2018?
The Nissan corporate marketing guy who presented to the SF BayLeafs group this past Septebmer was only willing to say model year 2019 and not be more specific. That leaves a lot of wiggle room.

(Side note: https://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/21/why-the-38-mpg-2014-mazda6-is-on-dealer-lots-but-you-cant-driv/ is probably one of the craziest way too early for model year cases I've heard of.)

cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
The Nissan corporate marketing guy who presented to the SF BayLeafs group this past Septebmer was only willing to say model year 2019 and not be more specific. That leaves a lot of wiggle room.

(Side note: https://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/21/why-the-38-mpg-2014-mazda6-is-on-dealer-lots-but-you-cant-driv/ is probably one of the craziest way too early for model year cases I've heard of.)

Nissan Leaf has not (at least not in recent memory) been released in the fall like many vehicles, but instead seems to be released after the first of the year.

Evoforce said:
Nissan Leaf has not (at least not in recent memory) been released in the fall like many vehicles, but instead seems to be released after the first of the year.
Indeed.

First worldwide delivery was in mid-December 2010 (2011 model year). Model year 2013 didn't become available until early in calendar year 2013. I was at the preview event in Jan 2013 w/a pre-production '13: http://sfbayleafs.org/past-events/2013/01/2013-leaf-bay-area-reveal/ when it came down to San Jose.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1101424_how-bad-was-nissan-dealer-when-buyer-wanted-a-leaf-electric-car-that-bad from Dec 2015 says
Shipping of the new 2016 Nissan LEAF from Nissan’s Vehicle Assembly Plant in Smyrna, Tennessee, began in November, and because shipping times to California are among the longest in the country, many dealers on the west coast did not have units arrive until later in the month.

I like my Leaf, and would really like one with more range. But, I bought a 96/96 $0 deductible extended warranty right before the original warranty expired, and I just got a new traction battery under warranty. So, unless something major happens, I'm off the market for three more years, even though I would really like a new one. I used to get a new vehicle every two to three years, but I have changed with age. The last new vehicle I bought is now twelve years old with 135k miles, and I don't want to give it up. I bought my Leaf used, almost three years ago, and plan on keeping it another three years (or longer, depending on the market when the extended warranty expires).

Evoforce said:
cwerdna said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Nissan DOES release in mid year if they feel its vital. When was 2015 Lizard MY released?

This whole "Will you buy a 2018 Leaf" thing reminds me of the same thing that happened when computers were new....

There came a point when computers were getting more powerful so fast that people would not "trade up" to a new computer, but only buy a new one when they HAD to... Personally, if there are rumblings of a 60KWH Leaf in late 2018, then I would wait to get the best bang for the Kilowatt.

Realistically, At this point for Leaf "owners", it does not pay to buy another Leaf when their current one is useful. Of course, "Leasers" always like to talk about their next latest and greatest cars. They are also the ones who like to do pro and con lists (as if buying another car is as simple as just picking the one that has longest pro list).

I have to have a new (to me) car in the next six months. My current LEAF is being passed on to my daughter as she begins driving. The new LEAF is at the top of the list, but I am waiting to see what options are available. An off-lease 1st gen is also a possibility and may be the most economically sound choice. The fate of the tax credit will also play a role. *If* the new LEAF were available right now today and I knew the tax credit was not going to survive, I would be all over it.

I don't feel the same way about the Bolt because the most compelling feature of the new LEAF is the tech (Pro-Pilot, E-pedal) and the added comfort. Take away that, and I would just as soon save my money and get a used 1st gen. Clearly, range is not a priority for me.

Joe6pack said:
I have to have a new (to me) car in the next six months. My current LEAF is being passed on to my daughter as she begins driving. The new LEAF is at the top of the list, but I am waiting to see what options are available. An off-lease 1st gen is also a possibility and may be the most economically sound choice. The fate of the tax credit will also play a role. *If* the new LEAF were available right now today and I knew the tax credit was not going to survive, I would be all over it.

I don't feel the same way about the Bolt because the most compelling feature of the new LEAF is the tech (Pro-Pilot, E-pedal) and the added comfort. Take away that, and I would just as soon save my money and get a used 1st gen. Clearly, range is not a priority for me.

Full details on pricing and options have been published. What are you looking for in the 2018?

The actual price isn't static. Buying the first is often the most expensive.

The quality isn't static. Waiting six months to a year will allow issues to be corrected.

Waiting through the first summer will reduce battery life worries. Two years even more so.

My need for the car isn't static. Getting a larger battery may be necessary. Or I might need to defer expenses. Or my car might get totaled.

The competition isn't static. While the 2018 Leaf looks like the best choice for me as of today, the future might change that.

Committed? Not till I hand over a check.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant other car options. With the new LEAF not available before the end of the year and the tax credit in all likelihood gone, I will explore other car options next year. Also, Georgia's lease law is changing for the better after January 1.

baustin said:
I like my Leaf, and would really like one with more range. But, I bought a 96/96 $0 deductible extended warranty right before the original warranty expired, and I just got a new traction battery under warranty. So, unless something major happens, I'm off the market for three more years, even though I would really like a new one. I used to get a new vehicle every two to three years, but I have changed with age. The last new vehicle I bought is now twelve years old with 135k miles, and I don't want to give it up. I bought my Leaf used, almost three years ago, and plan on keeping it another three years (or longer, depending on the market when the extended warranty expires).

Your new battery warranty is only 12 months or can be longer only if the original warranty would still have been in force.

Evoforce said:
baustin said:

Your new battery warranty is only 12 months or can be longer only if the original warranty would still have been in force.

I'm not talking about the battery warranty. That is separate from the warranty on the vehicle.

Hi.

I haven’t seen any recent comment about this, but is it feasible that Nissan could have taken the “oversize the battery and hide the reserve” approach with this model revision and be able to reliably “show” 140+ miles of range in most conditions.

Not that it really changes most previous buyer perceptions, but for new customers this could be the classic “under promise / over delivery” for their battery longevity reputation.

As for me. If the oversized battery turned out to be true, I may become a returning customer.

Back