Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scottf200 said:
GRA, I appreciated your time, thoughts, and efforts. They are interesting. Generally factual based but frequently skewed to fit your narrative. And, of course, glass is half empty ;)
No, the glass is neither half full or half empty, as those are judgemental descriptions based on someone's own biases or priorities. To me, 1/2 of the glass's volume is occupied by liquid, 1/2 by air; no skewing intended or needed.;) My judgements are based on claims which are repeated on an annual basis, that 2/3rd of the glass's volume would be occupied by liquid and 1/3rd by air by the end of the year, when the glass remains 1/2 occupied by liquid and 1/2 by air at that time.

scottf200 said:
GRA said:
scottf200 said:
I see your angle but understand that the premise of things being WAY different was the ramp up of Model 3s being delivered and how many new Tesla supercharging cars would be out there and wanting to fill up superchargers. Obviously the ramp up of Model 3s has not taken place and isn't expected until 1st quarter of 2018.
The problem with that logic is that Tesla was falling behind their SC goals from early on this year, long before the Model 3 had even entered production, as documented monthly upthread.
Certainly the planning of impacts to SCs related to Model 3s was considered long before "early on this year". The Model 3 reservations started in March 2016 so they had a solid idea on the massive interest and count of cars impacting SCs.

Clearly they make stretch goals for SCs. It is not an engineering problem but a bureaucracy (planning,permits,etc) and money/investment problem.
As I've said repeatedly in this thread, they're free to set internal goals as high as they like, but the goals which are publicly announced should reflect the real world constraints of bureaucracy and money, both of which are foreeseable and inevitable.

scottf200 said:
1.4 times more in 2017 vs 2016 is HUGE just by itself ... then compare that to what other companies are doing.
There is no dispute that Tesla has done more to build a QC infrastructure than any other company or government entity - I've said as much many times, but that is irrelevant to how well they measure up to their own claims.

There is nothing HUGE about exceeding last year's total U.S. SC construction. To date, Tesla has opened 105 SCs in the U.S. this year, compared to 92 last year. But they opened 102 in 2015, so the actual increase over 2015 so far is just 3%. Let's be generous and assume that they will open another 15 U.S. SCs by the end of the year despite the holidays, which will mean that it's taken them two years to learn how to increase SC openings by just under 18%, despite the fact that there is nothing novel about them; they are repeating what they've done many times before (with minor variations) using standardized components. Contracts, permitting, construction, equipment are all same old, same old. Are you suggesting that despite 5.5 years of building these things, Tesla and their supervising contractor Black and Veatch (not to mention the numerous subcontractors, many of whom have built a dozen or more SCs now) approach each new SC as a tabula rasa, with no knowledge or experience of timing, costs etc. of the several hundred previous SCs built here being used? If that were the case, incompetence is hardly an adequate description - imbecility comes closer but still doesn't do full justice.

scottf200 said:
Look at this. This is a massive effort over a few short years. Especially for a new and modest sized company compared to GM, Ford, Nissan, etc. <snip maps>
Again, this is not in dispute, and is irrelevant as to why Tesla is seemingly incapable of learning from experience and announcing a realistic public construction schedule. It's really very simple: they can choose to announce that they will complete X SCs and once again only complete .6 or .7X (or this year's even worse total, currently .33X for North America), or they can announce that they will complete .6X and actually complete .6 or .7X. The total completed's the same in both cases, but one method damages their rep and the other bolsters it.

I recently watched Ken Burns' documentary on the Vietnam War, and it reminded me of a phrase I hadn't thought about since I was a kid. We are far more cynical as a country than we were then, and we fully expect government or corporate figures to lie to us whenever it's convenient for them. Even so, Tesla's inability to announce a production schedule (any schedule) and come close to meeting it over their entire 14 year existence has opened a credibility gap that is rapidly approaching the size of the Johnson administration's pronouncements on Vietnam. No one besides the most hopelessly star-struck Tesla fanboi now believes that they will produce what they say they will, when they say they will, at the price they say they will.

This is an entirely self-inflicted wound on Tesla's part, and it's starting to hurt them. As long as the economy stays strong it may not matter, and enough people will continue to be dazzled every time Elon Musk holds up his keys and shakes them: "Ooh, shiny!" But if the economy contracts or even suffers a short hiccup, all of a sudden people will start being a lot more careful with their money, and Tesla will go down the tubes because no one will trust their claims on ANYTHING, and the money will be gone.

While I think Tesla has already accomplished about 80% of their mission, and their ultimate survival is no longer critical to the continued advance of ZEVs, I do believe they remain a valuable goad to other companies, and would like to see them develop some maturity (and even some profits) as a company so they can survive the inevitable bad times. IMO, that requires that they start being realistic with their announced timetables.

And now, having beaten this poor horse to death again, I leave you the last word on the subject for this year.

GRA said:
While I think Tesla has already accomplished about 80% of their mission, and their ultimate survival is no longer critical to the continued advance of ZEVs, I do believe they remain a valuable goad to other companies, and would like to see them develop some maturity (and even some profits) as a company so they can survive the inevitable bad times. IMO, that requires that they start being realistic with their announced timetables.

And now, having beaten this poor horse to death again, I leave you the last word on the subject for this year.
I appreciated your thought out post. You are right that they do not build as many SCs as they predict but it is D@MN impressive none-the-less.

This post map shows what is under construction and it is pretty impressive too.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9111&start=1590#p513087

Impressive increase in number of SCs *and* stalls. Love the increasing average of stalls per SC.
3EvqhEb.jpg

foOk5ze.jpg

I too am ok with them only hitting 2/3 of the publicly stated goal every year. That is why they call it a goal. They have raised the goal each year and hit 2/3 of the new goal, so that still shows growth. Why would you have a different internal goal versus public. A goal is a goal. I'd like to see them get closer to the goal in 2018, but knocking them for not exceeding the goal is silly. It just means you set a goal that was too easy.

I can't believe the pissing contest this thread has taken. Who cares how many SC stations have been installed? They still outnumber new Chademo/CCS by a TON!!

DaveinOlyWA said:
I can't believe the pissing contest this thread has taken. Who cares how many SC stations have been installed? They still outnumber new Chademo/CCS by a TON!!

No, Tesla Supercharger most definitely does not outnumber CHAdeMO compliant chargers in the world.

CHAdeMO is over 16,000.

TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

No, Tesla Supercharger most definitely does not outnumber CHAdeMO compliant chargers in the world.

CHAdeMO is over 16,000.
only talking about # of plugs installed in US this year

TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
CHAdeMO is over 16,000.
What percentage are *just* in Japan tho?

scottf200 said:
TonyWilliams said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
CHAdeMO is over 16,000.

prob about half. besides this is not what the convo is about. Its only concerning Tesla "falling down" on its projection for installs this year, correct?

palmermd said:
I too am ok with them only hitting 2/3 of the publicly stated goal every year. That is why they call it a goal. They have raised the goal each year and hit 2/3 of the new goal, so that still shows growth. Why would you have a different internal goal versus public. A goal is a goal. I'd like to see them get closer to the goal in 2018, but knocking them for not exceeding the goal is silly. It just means you set a goal that was too easy.

+1, When they do poorly it is pretty darn good and I think there are people out there that just want them to fail. Parts of this entire discussion seem really silly at times. Let's now critique the other charge networks that easily allow one to drive cross country. Oh, there are none:) It's clear Tesla is a deceptive and misleading company out to trick people at every level. I think I would put them above every car maker out there today.

DaveinOlyWA said:
scottf200 said:
TonyWilliams said:
CHAdeMO is over 16,000.
prob about half. besides this is not what the convo is about. Its only concerning Tesla "falling down" on its projection for installs this year, correct?
Right, the thread is about "Tesla Supercharge Network" in general tho. It did get me thinking about the percentages of increase of SCs and stalls YRoYR for the other major areas that supercharge.info keeps track of. I suspect that it is much more accurate for USA sites but I could be wrong.

North America
3EvqhEb.jpg

Asia Pacific
35GO0Xh.jpg

Europe
YV8v3Mk.jpg

DaveinOlyWA said:
...Who cares how many SC stations have been installed?
TSLA shareholders, who lose more money with each installation?

They should care...

BEV drivers who are not foolish enough to buy a Tesla?

Public DC infrastructure should concern them, but Tesla's restricted charge stations are useless to them, of course.

DaveinOlyWA said:
scottf200 said:
TonyWilliams said:
CHAdeMO is over 16,000.

No, every year since 2015 (or 2014 if you wish to be stricter), along with every other major production or deployment schedule they've announced, whether vehicle, SC or swapping station. If those who are comfortable with this are correct, and this behavior is simply irrelevant to Tesla's future ability to raise needed funds for operations and expansion, then NBD. OTOH, it would mean that Tesla would continue to be judged on factors other than those normally applying to a business, which would confirm Bob Lutz' description of them as a cult rather than a company. But cults often disappear overnight, with few making the transition to full-blown religions where faith always outweighs rational thought.

I'd much prefer Tesla to be a company, as I'm not a big fan of cults or fads. Admittedly,if this one fails it will most likely only result in the loss of a lot of money for those who believed in it, e.g. tulip mania or the dot-com bubble, rather than the sort of mass financial collapse of the mortgage crisis or the Depression. So, even if the company does go under, collateral damage to PEVs is likely to be limited, as I believe the momentum they've already generated, combined with government actions to ban ICEs, is likely unstoppable. But hopefully they'll survive and prosper.

The Bellefonte, PA SC just opened, shortening the last too-long leg and finally marking initial completion of I-80 for small battery cars. In addition, 6 other U.S. SCs have opened this month, Laredo, TX probably being the most significant expansion. The rest are infill for density or capacity.

Tesla introduces new ‘Supercharger Fair Use’ policy to focus on long distance travel and deter commercial use
https://electrek.co/2017/12/15/tesla-supercharger-fair-use-policy-deter-commercial-use/
The automaker says that any new or used Tesla vehicles purchased after today and is used for commercial purposes cannot use any Tesla Supercharger worldwide.

According to the added statement on Tesla’s legal page, those commercial purposes include:

as a taxi;
for ridesourcing or ridesharing (through Uber, Lyft or similar services);
to commercially deliver or transport goods;
for government purposes; or
for any other commercial venture.

cwerdna said:
Tesla introduces new ‘Supercharger Fair Use’ policy to focus on long distance travel and deter commercial use
https://electrek.co/2017/12/15/tesla-supercharger-fair-use-policy-deter-commercial-use/
The automaker says that any new or used Tesla vehicles purchased after today and is used for commercial purposes cannot use any Tesla Supercharger worldwide.

According to the added statement on Tesla’s legal page, those commercial purposes include:

as a taxi;

Now if they would just limit supercharging to outside owners geographic area it will make the system useful. Far too many local people have no home charging and charge to 100% sometimes daily clogging up statins. The policy above should have been in place a long time ago and I'm not sure how they intend to enforce it. Many car services use certain stations many times daily.

cwerdna said:

as a taxi;

WOW! This is monumental news! But also means people will use SCs for commercial purposes without telling Tesla... I suspect Uber's and others will do what they can to skirt this.

DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:

as a taxi;

WOW! This is monumental news! But also means people will use SCs for commercial purposes without telling Tesla... I suspect Uber's and others will do what they can to skirt this.

Tesla should just limit local Supercharging, This is easy to do in the software and should have been done a long time ago. Some SCs are full of owners that live literally blocks away. The network will be almost intolerable if they don't do this in at least some key markets.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Tesla knows perfectly well where cars spend their time and where they charge. Someone elsewhere pointed out that the new policy is carefully worded to say that they "may" limit or block use of Superchargers, so they have some flexibility in applying it. My guess is that casual part time use for Uber won't trigger the block but that it is intended for livery usage, already a problem in some places, notably in Amsterdam.

EVDRIVER said:
Tesla should just limit local Supercharging, This is easy to do in the software and should have been done a long time ago. Some SCs are full of owners that live literally blocks away. The network will be almost intolerable if they don't do this in at least some key markets.
Tesla has been quite clear that owners who do not have access to home or work charging are welcome to use the Supercharger network. In some places, such as Hong Kong, most owners do not have home charging. By charging a reasonable fee for Supercharging for all Model 3s plus the idle fee for all cars, they should be able to raise some revenue to expand crowded Supercharger locations. This is happening in Southern California, where San Clemente is taking some of the pressure off of perpetually crowded San Juan Capistrano and crowded Fountain Valley is being expanded.

Give it some time and we can see how things shake out. Tesla certainly has opened a lot of new Supercharger stalls in California in the last year and I would expect that to continue if the Model 3 launch is successful.

The Willcox, AZ SC opened yesterday, making I-10 travel between LA and El Paso reasonably convenient for big battery cars, but requiring some care for small battery ones (134 miles from Willcox to Deming, NM, but 75 mph speed limit, A/C use and winds). An infill SC in Lordsburg, NM will be needed to alleviate any concern.

Back