Charger wiring harness with a dead wire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the end I picked up a used on board charger from the wrecker in Tacoma, the part number was from an earlier revision but I plugged it in and hooked up the cooling and it's working just fine.

If anybody runs into this problem in the future, consider a path other then just going to the dealer. I was quoted $2000 to replace the cable from charger port to charger, and $4500 to replace the charger (remember this is Canada were everything is more expensive) the work to replace the charger is not complicated, any competent home mechanic can do it. Just pay attention to the unplugging of the high voltage stuff and follow the fsm and you'll be fine.

Watch this video it will help in the process, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R4dGg8nIUs

And thanks for all the help from the Leaf community, groups like this are some of the best parts of the internet

Paul

Awesome! Glad you were able to resurrect your Leaf without getting fleeced by a dealership.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you end up spending to do this repair?

Picked up a 2012 leaf that won't L1 or L2 charge, but will DC fast charge. The car was parked for 3 months almost empty (no range showing) after Nissan quoted $2500 to replace the on-board charger. Battery was replaced in 2017 and even after that trauma I have 12 bars and show 53.02 ah and 83.10 SOH. I have replaced the 12v battery, DC charged it to 70% while it was being towed home (still on the trailer at the station), and have cleared all codes with leafspy.

If I try to charge with the nissan L1 charger, it stops after 5 seconds and I get B29C1 236C and P3173 00C0 which all seem to indicate a bad on-board charger and match up with the previous owner's dealership recommendation.

I have bought a new OBC out of a wrecked 2012 leaf ($529 shipped to my door) and plan to install this weekend. Is there anything that needs to be done to reprogram this new unit? I plan to disconnect the 12v battery, but should the main HV emergency disconnect be pulled too? (common on the prius batteries I have replaced in the past), finally I wasn't aware the charger was liquid cooled until I saw the 3 ports on the new charger - is anything needed to be done to prime or purge air from the system once I install the new one?

Thank you!

How did this turn out for you? I’m having the same problem now. I think I found a new onboard charger—we’ll see tomorrow if it actually ships. I’m also wondering what needs to be done to purge air from the coolant at the end of the replacement.
Note: my situation started when the EVSE was dark and I found that an internal 60 amp fast “current limiting” fuse had blown. The car should not take more than 16 amps!

Back