Republican tax proposal will terminate $7,500 EV tax credit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
I can now get a loaded Bolt premiere (in Cajun tint red, no less) for $37.5k, the MSRP for a base LT. That's over $6k off MSRP. This is getting difficult.

Not surprising, may get much better too.

Tax Compromise Keeps Wind and Electric-Car Credits, Source Says

December 13, 2017, 10:11 AM PSTs

House and Senate negotiators have agreed to spare the electric-vehicle tax credit and wind production tax credit in their compromise package, according to a Republican familiar with process.

As part of the $1.5 trillion House tax bill, the $7,500 electric-vehicle tax credit would have been eliminated and a the wind production tax credit would have been curtailed. The Senate bill didn’t do either, and that is part of the package set for release, said the person, who asked not to be identified discussing the details before the bill is unveiled...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-13/compromise-tax-bill-is-said-to-keep-wind-electric-car-credits-jb5dh81s

LeftieBiker said:
Fine. Relatively great news. It also doesn't include articles of impeachment.

There is a $250 tax credit if you ride your horse to vote.

Its good for Chevy Tesla Nissan the credit is not going away but it needs to be fixed or the early pioneers will soon be priced out of the market.

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2017/12/what-congress-should-be-doing-with-ev.html

DaveinOlyWA said:
Its good for Chevy Tesla Nissan the credit is not going away but it needs to be fixed or the early pioneers will soon be priced out of the market.

I would think Chevy, Tesla and Nissan would prefer the credit to go away, maybe in 2019? Once they all have used the majority of the credit, then the laggers wouldn't have the benefit and it would put everyone on a level playing field moving forward and those three would be ahead of the game.

BrockWI said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I would think Chevy, Tesla and Nissan would prefer the credit to go away, maybe in 2019? Once they all have used the majority of the credit, then the laggers wouldn't have the benefit and it would put everyone on a level playing field moving forward and those three would be ahead of the game.

you did not read the blog I guess. Your response is "the" theme of the blog. Losing the credit without warning only hurts "us." Those who reserved or waited and planned their finances based on that credit. As for compliance manufacturers? they have nothing or very little on the streets.

Their EV projects are on the last page of the briefing notes for the board meeting generally addressed as "yada yada" or "and the rest is unchanged from last month, so glance over it and bring up any concerns at the next meeting"

I actually did read the blog (great by the way) and I am didn't mean to imply that it should go away. I totally agree that it would hurt the consumers much more than the company's . Also if it were to go away I would think it would put a damper on other companies moving into the market or at least slow the process.

BrockWI said:
I actually did read the blog (great by the way) and I am didn't mean to imply that it should go away. I totally agree that it would hurt the consumers much more than the company's . Also if it were to go away I would think it would put a damper on other companies moving into the market or at least slow the process.

Well, it could slow the process but lets examine that statement.

My proposal is to end the credit without ramp down on June 30, 2019. That gives companies 18 months to get product out there. This favors us since we now have an entire tax year to figure our finances and determine our best course of action

Hopefully, this will encourage laggards to move their lackadaisical time tables up for EV intros.

This also prevents an unfair market advantage to the companies who have done very little or nothing up to this point.

So that is the points for our side.

The reality is the credit was in danger because many want it to end so this proposal has the huge potential to save the government a lot of money. But if we are going to spend the money, lets give it to the segment of population that can use it the most. The reality is credit or no credit, many will get the EV anyway because they have the money. There are currently way too many people who don't because they don't qualify for the credit and the price is simply beyond their reach OR They are leasing LEAFs on lease/buy to get a good price. That limits the options for a lot of us which means some will elect to not EV at all.

Now will this encourage Tesla to do the half million T 3's annually? Who knows? But what I do know is that Tesla won't sell them if VW comes in with a car with similar capabilities that is $7500 less.

So, nothing changes. By the fall of 2020, when I’m in the lease market again, Tesla, Nissan, and Chevy will be phased out and will have to compete against OEMs that are still in, assuming no other changes. That should entice those others to step up their games with more offerings and that helps everyone.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
So, nothing changes. By the fall of 2020, when I’m in the lease market again, Tesla, Nissan, and Chevy will be phased out and will have to compete against OEMs that are still in, assuming no other changes. That should entice those others to step up their games with more offerings and that helps everyone.

yeah if the credit is still alive in 2020. I would find that just a bit too much to accept.

DaveinOlyWA said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

yeah if the credit is still alive in 2020. I would find that just a bit too much to accept.

Me too. They tried to kill it in 2018, who is to say they won't try again in 2019? In fact, by 2019 it may be a good thing for reasons noted above.

GetOffYourGas said:
Me too. They tried to kill it in 2018, who is to say they won't try again in 2019? In fact, by 2019 it may be a good thing for reasons noted above.
No way they'll get another tax reform passed, they'll be lucky to get this one through with a few more rino handouts.

LTLFTcomposite said:
No way they'll get another tax reform passed, they'll be lucky to get this one through with a few more rino handouts.

They might try regular order rather than handouts the next time. There are reasons why phasing out the tax credits across the board in 2020 or so would be a good idea.

LTLFTcomposite said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Interesting article about trump's lying verses previous admins. the differences are glaring.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/14/opinion/sunday/trump-lies-obama-who-is-worse.html?action=click&contentCollection=Style&module=Trending&version=Full&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

They did a comprehensive list verified as untruths from independent fact checkers run at the time the claims were made. As you will notice, they made several concessions to make trump look better and Obama look worse. It didn't help.

In a nutshell, Obama when called out on an untruth (mostly overstating things to support his position) he simply stopping saying. trump instead, attacked the accuser claiming all kinds of things including assaulting "their" integrity, etc.

The reality is that trump will continue to hammer on this because his success will save him a ton of money.

Back