San Diego Leaf Fanatics!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We stopped by the Mossy Nissan in Poway and talked with their sales manager, Matt. He seemed to have about the same information that I did about the Leaf. One important thing though, was that he said that Mossy planned on selling the Leaf for MSRP. I had recently selected Mossy Poway as my dealer and he did not have me on his "two week old" list.

mikek said:
We stopped by the Mossy Nissan in Poway and talked with their sales manager, Matt. He seemed to have about the same information that I did about the Leaf. One important thing though, was that he said that Mossy planned on selling the Leaf for MSRP. I had recently selected Mossy Poway as my dealer and he did not have me on his "two week old" list.

Very nice to hear that. I sent them an email today and found this just now. Very cool.

Frank has the PV, so when we all have ours the charge party is at his place, right? :D (does Frank get to have a vote in this? :twisted: )

(since we all get 100+ chargers each in San Diego, Frank should have plenty of room for all of us to charge at once)

Dav said:
Frank has the PV, so when we all have ours the charge party is at his place, right? :D (does Frank get to have a vote in this? :twisted: )

(since we all get 100+ chargers each in San Diego, Frank should have plenty of room for all of us to charge at once)

It would have to be a really sunny day :cool:

I got a call from the sales manager at Mossy Nissan in Oceanside after selecting them - didn't say much, other than we'd be finding out more later.

Good to know at least Pacific Beach Nissan will be selling at MSRP - will help keep the other dealers honest.

It seems like the Oceanside dealership is the largest is San Diego County judging by their inventory (they are the closest to me)...

BTW Frank - looks like you have enough solar to drive about 50,000 miles a year! Charging party at Frank's house! ;)

To all of the San Diego reservation holders. It looks like SDG&E isn't stepping up to the plate like SMUD is doing in Sacramento for EV owners. SMUD is offering $.04/kWh for EV owners if they install a separate meter. SDG&E has three different rate schedules for EV owners but the lowest rate is $.14 per kWh with proof of ownership. This is a pretty big difference. It would be nice if we could get a local reporter to do a piece on the evening news to put some pressure on SDG&E to step up.

Here is the link from another poster on the CA EV ownership benefits (thanks!) - http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=555

This is the link to the SDG&E EV rate schedules: http://www.sdge.com/documents/customer/totalrates/5-1-2010/schedule_ev.pdf#zoom=100

**NOTE**! Much of the SMUD site is very much out of date ! I *WISH* they would offer 4c/kWh. They don't. They do install a separate meter (you pay), and you do get a discounted rate, but it's nowhere near 4c. More like 2.37 - 2.65 cents off the winter/summer off-peak energy charge; it gets complicated when you start doing TOU (time-of-use) ... and I don't have time at the moment to explain ... basically it works out to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-8c/kWh. You can download their rate schedule HERE and HERE

Yes, 7-8 is better than 14. I just had hoped for 4 ... then got disappointed when their (old) page had me fooled until I got down to the nitty-gritty.

(Edit: I changed the red-bold "Warning" at the beginning to a more civilized blue "NOTE!".)

Watch out for your summer air-conditioning on a TOU rate. It can significantly increase your electricity bill over a non-TOU rate, even without charging the EV at all. If you really want to know your cost per mile, you have to account for this effect.

It's bad up north in PG&E territory. In my case, it looks like just switching to a TOU rate will increase my yearly e-bill by about $500 without accounting for any EV energy usage. PG&E is aware of it but no changes are coming soon.

In my case, at 750 miles per month driving, I estimated that it would actually be cheaper to forget to tell PG&E that I have an electric car, and then stay on non-TOU rates. Not that I would ever do that. Or charge the car whenever I pleased as a result.

There is an article in the SD Union this morning about the experimental utility rates for the first 1000 Leaf owners that have SDG&E service. But in addition to that info, it states the number of Leaf reservations in San Diego to be 886. This is the first time I have seen the number of reservations identified to a geographical area. The article also says that only three other markets had a greater amount of reservations and they are: Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle.

Frank said:
The article also says that only three other markets had a greater amount of reservations and they are: Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle.
All of which have significantly higher populations than San Diego. Would be interesting to see the reservation rate per capita.

If there are near 4000 reservations just on the west coast, it would appear that some of us will have to wait a bit.

Of those mentioned, I think only San Diego and Seattle are "first" areas.

garygid said:
If there are near 4000 reservations just on the west coast, it would appear that some of us will have to wait a bit.

Of those mentioned, I think only San Diego and Seattle are "first" areas.

But how many reservation holders will actually purchase a Leaf? Maybe some people put down the $99 just to be guaranteed one of the first public test drives in a Leaf? I wonder how many reservations there would be if the $99 was non-refundable?

Back