End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon Detter never replied to my text. When I called him later, he just sent me an "I am busy. call you later" text.

Also I noticed I just lost my 12th bar at 35000 miles. Will that reduce the value of the car and give me more leverage in negotiating or should I actually look past this and move on with the bars set to keep decreasing.

They are all creeps, I can't stand the dealers. So get this one, today after making my deal last week and getting my total cost at Gunn Nissan in Corinth, I go today to sign papers and they say, "oh, sorry, Nissan changed the incentive program and it will cost you $800 more to buy the car now.
I have a call in to Nissan USA to place a formal complaint about this dealer, last time I was in the spewed a bunch of lies and falsehoods from one of their sales giys
The dealers really hate the Leaf, at least here in Texas they do. How many times have you gone to the dealer and the rapid charger doesn't work... Happened to me today again at this dealer. I'll post here after I talk with Nissan on Monday

The incentives change by month. If you made the deal in December and went to sign in December, they are lying to you. If you got the price in November and they lowered the incentive in December...maybe not.

AutoHaulersinc said:
They are all creeps, I can't stand the dealers. So get this one, today after making my deal last week and getting my total cost at Gunn Nissan in Corinth, I go today to sign papers and they say, "oh, sorry, Nissan changed the incentive program and it will cost you $800 more to buy the car now.
I have a call in to Nissan USA to place a formal complaint about this dealer, last time I was in the spewed a bunch of lies and falsehoods from one of their sales giys
The dealers really hate the Leaf, at least here in Texas they do. How many times have you gone to the dealer and the rapid charger doesn't work... Happened to me today again at this dealer. I'll post here after I talk with Nissan on Monday

it is feasible. This is one of the reasons why I could not sell cars. Ford would put out incentives on Friday and then pull them at random. The managers would know but they never passed this on to us. So it was the same deal. Every Friday morning we would have sales meeting. They give us the perks and sales spiffs available at the time and off we go. Sometimes they would last for weeks, some only for the weekend. They never told us when ANY promotion ended.

With Nissan it seems to be consistently the beginning of each month that incentives change. Yet I had one idiot saleswoman quote me a February price to buy mine out when it was March 3. I suppose I should thank her, as I don't want to keep my car...

Yep. Mine is going back at end of extension in March. Tired of playing dealer games. No way is this car worth the residual or anywhere close to it.

I’ll just have to get the kids a Fit or another Civic. I’ll be cruising in my Model 3.

Has anyone actually done an out-of-state deal and received the maximum rebate? The reason is I'm shopping the residual around and multiple dealers are playing games. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, any time their first response to an email inquiry is "so when can you come in?"

I really just want to give someone around $8000 and be on my way without the BS dealer shuffle but it doesn't seem possible. If someone has figured out the path, please enlighten me. :)

Also, anyone who has a copy of bulletin 17-1-2177 that lists out the incentives and would be willing to share would also be doing me (and likely others) a solid. Context: Guy in reddit thread who just did a buyout documenting his process: https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/comments/7emoba/i_did_my_lease_conversion_to_purchase_2015_s/

Thanks in advance.

Hey, I just got an answer to a common end of lease question that hadn't, AFAIK, been answered before! I was just in live chat with an NMAC rep, and asked him about turning in my Leaf with 4 good snow tires in December. Here is the reply:

"As long as the tires are a matching set and match the original size, quality, and speed rating, that would be okay."

I suspect that the problem arises when a car is turned in with only two snow tires, instead of four. Take note for future reference!

I got an unexpected parting gift from Nissan.
I did the extension and got the 3 free months, and after the reveal, opted to end the lease and Bolt. I called to double check something. There’s a clause in the original lease contract that ending early requires 30 days written notice, and I needed to know if that also applied to the extension. They were very nice on the phone and assured me that it no longer applied, I was all set to end the extension. Naturally, after leasing two LEAFs, they were curious as to why I wasn’t waiting for the 2018. I explained how I certainly would be if it was going to be 60 kWh, and how I was disappointed and would rather not switch, and would choose Nissan again when they’re back in competition, especially if they bring a 60 kWh eNV200. They were very sympathetic, and offered to waive the $395 lease return fee ($419.69 with MA tax). I accepted.
A decent goodwill gesture on their part.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
I got an unexpected parting gift from Nissan.
I did the extension and got the 3 free months, and after the reveal, opted to end the lease and Bolt. I called to double check something. There’s a clause in the original lease contract that ending early requires 30 days written notice, and I needed to know if that also applied to the extension. They were very nice on the phone and assured me that it no longer applied, I was all set to end the extension. Naturally, after leasing two LEAFs, they were curious as to why I wasn’t waiting for the 2018. I explained how I certainly would be if it was going to be 60 kWh, and how I was disappointed and would rather not switch, and would choose Nissan again when they’re back in competition, especially if they bring a 60 kWh eNV200. They were very sympathetic, and offered to waive the $395 lease return fee ($419.69 with MA tax). I accepted.
A decent goodwill gesture on their part.

Had to double check my browser to make sure I was at the right site. Not used to seeing Nissan praise here.

I called NMAC today and requested a 6-month lease extension on my 2016 SV which expires in April of 2018. No free months were offered and I sensed a reluctance on NMAC's part do the extension. It was only after I told them that I was waiting for the 2019 200-mile model that they approved it. This was a very different experience from when I extended my 2013 Leaf.

I'm not loving the rapid battery capacity loss of my 2016 but it still has the range to do its job and I doubt I will get a $250/mo lease on a 2018. Perhaps by October 2018 there will be better deals out there.

HIOJim said:
I called NMAC today and requested a 6-month lease extension on my 2016 SV which expires in April of 2018. No free months were offered and I sensed a reluctance on NMAC's part do the extension. It was only after I told them that I was waiting for the 2019 200-mile model that they approved it. This was a very different experience from when I extended my 2013 Leaf.

I'm not loving the rapid battery capacity loss of my 2016 but it still has the range to do its job and I doubt I will get a $250/mo lease on a 2018. Perhaps by October 2018 there will be better deals out there.

Not sure why they wouldn't want to extend you. Its not like they want the car back.

What are your most recent battery stats?

DaveinOlyWA said:
HIOJim said:

Not sure why they wouldn't want to extend you. Its not like they want the car back.

Perhaps they're trying to supply their dealers with cars they can 'flip' for a quick buck?

My latest stats are:

AHR - 66.67
SOH - 84.26
365.7V
HX - 79.69
ODO - 6,985
1 QC
223 L1/L2

Still have 12 capacity bars. Isn't the first supposed to drop when you the SOH reaches 85%?

HIOJim said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
HIOJim said:

Perhaps they're trying to supply their dealers with cars they can 'flip' for a quick buck?

My latest stats are:

AHR - 66.67
SOH - 84.26
365.7V
HX - 79.69
ODO - 6,985
1 QC
223 L1/L2

Still have 12 capacity bars. Isn't the first supposed to drop when you the SOH reaches 85%?
its closer to 80% on 30 kwh packs

how is your mileage so low?

DaveinOlyWA said:

The Leaf is our #2 vehicle and only used for my commute to work, which is only 4 miles away. I'm sure the numerous short trips didn't help the battery, though the 2013 it replaced still had a SOH of 92% after the same service life.

HIOJim said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

The Leaf is our #2 vehicle and only used for my commute to work, which is only 4 miles away. I'm sure the numerous short trips didn't help the battery, though the 2013 it replaced still had a SOH of 92% after the same service life.

Well I wouldn't charge it above 70% SOC EVER if that is all you are using it for. On 2nd thought, I might not charge it over 50% !

DaveinOlyWA said:
HIOJim said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Well I wouldn't charge it above 70% SOC EVER if that is all you are using it for. On 2nd thought, I might not charge it over 50% !
If only I could be sure that this would make a difference.

HIOJim said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
HIOJim said:

If only I could be sure that this would make a difference.

oh it does. With your level of need, you should never charge to 100% except in the dead of Winter. Its all a measure of need versus the reality of heat sensitive chemistry.

Just a quick comment on high SOC, even when its cold like 0ºC, degradation is 3X worse for pack stored at 100% versus storing it at 40% SOC.

LeftieBiker said:
I'd suggest an equalizing charge about once a month, always on a cool or cold night. Otherwise it may develop large imbalances between the cells.

hopefully not too large and balance is more critical when you need that extra little bit of range and that is not seeming likely in this case. Cells balance all the time so shouldn't be too far out of whack. With LEAF Spy, I would check it once a week to look for any cells wandering off on their own

Back