Winter is hard on range!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is some COLD weather data from MN for those who can interpret.

2012 Leaf with 10 battery capacity bars.

Started from unheated garage, used climate control to warm up somewhat (about halfway). LeafSpy says: 69.5 SOC. 11.8 kwh remain. 152 Gids (54.1%). Outside temp -6 F

Drove about 2 miles, city, slow, defrost or "heater" on, at only 1 or 2 fan bars. You can't not do this, the windows ice up inside in about a minute, with only 1 adult in the car. Parked for slightly over an hour outdoors, unplugged, no preheat. Drove home about 2 miles. Temp now -9 F

SOC now 60.1, 10.2 kwh remain, 132 Gids (47%)

Ecopia aftermarket tires, in the 38-39 psi range. Hey, it's cold out there! I don't wanna fix this right now. I aim for 40 usually.

By the way I have snow tires in the garage and don't yet understand why I would need them. This is my first winter with a Leaf.

Newbiempls said:
By the way I have snow tires in the garage and don't yet understand why I would need them. This is my first winter with a Leaf.
For better traction, so that you can maintain control while accelerating, braking and turning...

If it's just two snow tires, leave them in the garage. Put just two on the front and you increase the risk of the car (not the wheels, the car) spinning in marginal traction cornering and in crosswinds. Snow tires work far better in sets of four.

I have 4 snow tires sitting around. (They came with the car.) I have noticed very little trouble qith traction. Only a little slipping once on an uphill on a very cold icy day. Made it up the hill, though!

I agree that the Leaf is better in snow than most cars. If you like the traction with all seasons on you will be amazed with snows on :) And you will kick yourself if you do get stuck or in an accident that stopping a foot shorter could have avoided the accident.

Atlanta was in the low 30s yesterday. And I am down to 11 bars in recent weeks. Fully charged and what was normally a 50-60 mile range in the winter was down to 32 miles before I hit the danger range of ---; That's a ridiculously low range. Heat is on full blast varying at 72-77 degrees. Driver side seat heater on. I would hate to think what the range will be today as it is 14 degrees

It is a 3 and half year old 2015 S with 36000 miles.
I will be turning this in April or before nstead of trying to renew it or buy it unless they offer a bargain price for it(Which dealers are not anymore. They want 10K plus for it).

Another Atlanta Leaf owner reporting in. The AM temps last week were in the teens to 20's My 33 mile one way commute took my 2015 leaf S with a 100% charge down to 45%. This is driving at 60 mph with using no heat or heated seats. (I'm originally from New England so it wasn't too bad) I had to go to a nearby Nissan dealer to QC on my lunch break. I had to wait almost the entire hour for a port to free up. It then only charged to 80%. The ride home took me down to 24%. 2 hours at 15-20 mph. Since I can't spend all my lunches waiting for a QC to open, it looks like I'm going to be driving my Prius until the temps warm up.

Ouch, 2hrs to go 33 miles :(
IMO of all the cities I've driven in, suburban Atlanta is the worst! I like to complain about my cities infrastructure being broke but it's nothing like ATL! It's been years since driving in NYC or LA but the couple times I've been through ATL(once at 5am and once at 10pm) both times traffic was CRAZY busy, like MSP at rush hour, I pity you :(
I'm kind of surprised you didn't get better range going 15-20mph, unless you had the heater on much you should have been getting great mileage(I do in stop and go traffic) but your correct, cold is a killer for range, makes my 70ish mile range Leaf drop to 40 or even less :(

Back