iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,
I would appreciate a little help please. I just bought my Leaf less than a month ago. Prior to the purchase I ordered an OBD II Wifi adapter for my iPhone 5S to be able to check SoH when I am buying the car. I bought it from ebay and it said it is iOS compatible. Obviously it wasn't as it didn't work. I also paid £20 and downloaded the LeafSpy Pro from app store. I am not sure about the issue, but when I connect the wifi adapter and log into LeafSpy (doing everything as per as the instructions within LeafSpy Pro app) it says "retry ELM 11" in the bottom right corner and it is in yellow colour. I still bought the car as it was a good deal (hopefully) but I still would like to check SoH, so I have ordered another adapter from ebay. Unfortunately this one does the same. So as it is the second adapter with the same issue it makes me think that I am doing something wrong.
I try to link in the adapters from ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WiFi-Wireless-OBD-II-Mini-ELM327-OBD2-Auto-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-Adapter/182873800214?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-WiFi-ELM327-OBD2-OBD-Code-Scanner-Car-Diagnostic-iOS-Android-iPhone-iPad/121660462838?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Well, I have been using Leaf Spy for the last six months -- Carista to iPhone 6s. I downloaded Leaf Spy 1.6.28 last night, and today the iPhone cannot make a connection, no matter how hard it tries!

vecsy90 said:
Hi All,
I would appreciate a little help please. I just bought my Leaf less than a month ago. Prior to the purchase I ordered an OBD II Wifi adapter for my iPhone 5S to be able to check SoH when I am buying the car. I bought it from ebay and it said it is iOS compatible. Obviously it wasn't as it didn't work. I also paid £20 and downloaded the LeafSpy Pro from app store. I am not sure about the issue, but when I connect the wifi adapter and log into LeafSpy (doing everything as per as the instructions within LeafSpy Pro app) it says "retry ELM 11" in the bottom right corner and it is in yellow colour. I still bought the car as it was a good deal (hopefully) but I still would like to check SoH, so I have ordered another adapter from ebay. Unfortunately this one does the same. So as it is the second adapter with the same issue it makes me think that I am doing something wrong.
I try to link in the adapters from ebay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WiFi-Wireless-OBD-II-Mini-ELM327-OBD2-Auto-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-Adapter/182873800214?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2748.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-WiFi-ELM327-OBD2-OBD-Code-Scanner-Car-Diagnostic-iOS-Android-iPhone-iPad/121660462838?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks,
Can you take an ELM trace and send it to me? See bottom of Help file for how to do it. I assume you have the Leaf ON with the dash gauges active not just in ACC mode and you did not receive any warning message about the Adapter not supporting the needed commands.

The fact that you got to ELM 11 means LeafSpy is able to communicate with the OBDII adapter.

TimJolly said:
Well, I have been using Leaf Spy for the last six months -- Carista to iPhone 6s. I downloaded Leaf Spy 1.6.28 last night, and today the iPhone cannot make a connection, no matter how hard it tries!
I tested with my Carista before I released and had no problems. Please take an ELM trace. See bottom of the help for how to do it.

------------------------
Just tested again using my Leaf simulator (daughter has the Leaf right now) and the Carista connects fine. Need to see the ELM trace to see what is going on.

Turbo3 said:
Tewharaunz said:
Hi Turbo3,

Thanks for the response.

I downloaded LightBlue Explorer and it definitely shows up as Viecar iOS ...screenshot attached.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iCEpo495vXNsIUg13

I tapped the > then advertisement data for these details:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lJMm8JqiXyA5QNvg2

I'm happy to do some further testing or beta testing possible solutions...

Cheers, David
Great, I will just change to looking for a broadcast ID with "Viecar" in it instead of an exact match.

I will include this with the 2018 Leaf compatibility update (not full support yet as some things have changed and need to located on the new Leaf).

I also bought a Viecar Bluetooth Adapter. I didn’t see it explicitly listed in yesterday’s update change log; it’s not working for me. I can see the adapter in Lightblue Explorer as “Viecar”. Here’s a screenshot https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ziy7fmhlcSjll0Jj2

Thanks!
Alden

Turbo3 said:
chivalryx said:
dprendergast said:
For the past week, I have gotten the exact same Ahrs level each day: 56.77. This seems weird, since up until a week ago, the level would fluctuate every day within a 54 to 58 range.

I thought maybe I could reset LeafSpy somehow, but I don't see a way to do that. I tried unplugging and re-inserting my OBDI adapter, but that didn't change it either.

Is this just coincidence, or might something else be going on?

David

I'm having the same issue. My battery health isn't updating, and hasn't since Nov 28th. Everything else seems fine.

Version 1.5.27

Chiv.
Send me an ELM trace so I can see what is going on. See bottom of Help file for how to do it.

I think I figured it out. The BMS doesn't report much if it's cold (It stopped around 5 degrees Celsius). Hopefully it comes back when the weather warms up again.

Chiv.

chivalryx said:
Turbo3 said:
chivalryx said:
I'm having the same issue. My battery health isn't updating, and hasn't since Nov 28th. Everything else seems fine.

Version 1.5.27

Chiv.
Send me an ELM trace so I can see what is going on. See bottom of Help file for how to do it.

I think I figured it out. The BMS doesn't report much if it's cold (It stopped around 5 degrees Celsius). Hopefully it comes back when the weather warms up again.

Chiv.
When you say "doesn't report much" do you really mean the value does not change much under these conditions?

My amphr and battery health data has also been frozen since I took the latest update. I’ve never seen this before, even in much colder conditions. Are you sure the update didn’t break this somehow.

nickjensen said:
My amphr and battery health data has also been frozen since I took the latest update. I’ve never seen this before, even in much colder conditions. Are you sure the update didn’t break this somehow.
All these values are set to zero at the moment a connection the the Leaf is started. You should see all the values go to zero and then get refreshed with new values from the Leaf a short time later. That is how you can be sure you are getting fresh values from the Leaf.

Turbo3 said:
nickjensen said:
All these values are set to zero at the moment a connection the the Leaf is started. You should see all the values go to zero and then get refreshed with new values from the Leaf a short time later. That is how you can be sure you are getting fresh values from the Leaf.

Well, it's not happening. All the trip data since the update has the exact same values for each trip. The data on the first screen isn't updating either. Everything else in the app runs as it should, but these 3 values aren't updating.

nickjensen said:
Turbo3 said:
nickjensen said:

Well, it's not happening. All the trip data since the update has the exact same values for each trip. The data on the first screen isn't updating either. Everything else in the app runs as it should, but these 3 values aren't updating.
If the values on the first screen go to zero at the start of connection and then get values that means those values are coming from the Leaf. Is that what is happening?

Please take an ELM trace and send it to me that includes connecting to the Leaf. See bottom of help file for how to do it. If you have a Dropbox you can enable uploading of the trace files which is easier than using iTunes. Also send me a copy of the trip log file.

Hi,

I am not sure about the issue, but when I connect the wifi adapter and log into LeafSpy (doing everything as per as the instructions within LeafSpy Pro app) it says "ELM 09" in the bottom right corner and it is in yellow colour.

And I have on my dashboard a red warning light

SafXjdn.png

And my OBD2 is this one :

61%2B0KpHiDyL._SY355_.jpg

Thanks,

Richard7898 said:
Hi,

I am not sure about the issue, but when I connect the wifi adapter and log into LeafSpy (doing everything as per as the instructions within LeafSpy Pro app) it says "ELM 09" in the bottom right corner and it is in yellow colour.

And I have on my dashboard a red warning light

SafXjdn.png

Thanks,
If you get the dash error by just plugging in the OBDII adapter and turning on the Leaf then the OBDII adapter is bad. You need to get another.

Turbo3 said:
chivalryx said:
Turbo3 said:

Chiv.
When you say "doesn't report much" do you really mean the value does not change much under these conditions?

Everything else updates as it should. I recall in colder weather (it's around 0 Celsius here now) the BMS has trouble reading the battery status. But in past years it does change a little every week or so.

The current version of LeafSpy Pro, the Ah, SOH, and Hx from the first page have not changed since November. It shows 0 at the start of the app, then shows the same values for those 3 items every trip. Everything else (odometer, Gids, voltage, etc.) seems to update fine.

I'll run an ELM trace on my drive home after work today and send it off to you.

Thanks,

Chiv.

chivalryx said:
Turbo3 said:
chivalryx said:

Chiv.

Everything else updates as it should. I recall in colder weather (it's around 0 Celsius here now) the BMS has trouble reading the battery status. But in past years it does change a little every week or so.

The current version of LeafSpy Pro, the Ah, SOH, and Hx from the first page have not changed since November. It shows 0 at the start of the app, then shows the same values for those 3 items every trip. Everything else (odometer, Gids, voltage, etc.) seems to update fine.

Thanks,

Chiv.
The traces confirm that all the data displayed and not changing is the data the Leaf is sending to LeafSpy.

The pack temp was around 3 C so that probably explains why there is no change to the batteries health as indicated by the three values not changing.

Turbo3 said:
chivalryx said:
Turbo3 said:

Thanks,

Chiv.
The traces confirm that all the data displayed and not changing is the data the Leaf is sending to LeafSpy.

The pack temp was around 3 C so that probably explains why there is no change to the batteries health as indicated by the three values not changing.

Sounds like it's working as it should. Won't know until it warms up again in a couple months :) Thanks for checking!

Chiv.

Gave up on connecting by Bluetooth, and bought a wifi dongle. Leaf spy pro sees it, and occasionally the connector light goes green and shows a message like 'connected 22' but it then trips out and is not connected.
Bee through the all the setup advice in the help page for wifi...

Malc said:
Gave up on connecting by Bluetooth, and bought a wifi dongle. Leaf spy pro sees it, and occasionally the connector light goes green and shows a message like 'connected 22' but it then trips out and is not connected.
Bee through the all the setup advice in the help page for wifi...
Were you using one of the newer Bluetooth 4. LE (Low energy) OBDII adapter supported by LeafSpy? The older Bluetooth used by the cheap ELM adapters is not supported by iOS.

For the WiFi problem take an ELM trace and send it to me. See bottom of the Help file for how to do it.

The latest LeafSpy Pro iOS release (1.6.28) is missing the new 1024x1024 icon Apple now needs to create icons for higher res screens. For those screens you will get a generic blank icon.

Will be fixed in the next release coming out next week.

Back