Anyone ever run out of juice?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GerryAZ said:
The LEAF's DC-DC converter should handle the load of the Nissan L1 charger continuously through an efficient inverter (12 amperes at 120 volts requires a little over120 amperes at 12 volts because there is some loss in the inverter and wiring). There must be a connection between neutral and ground on the output of the inverter (either resistor or solid bond) for the Nissan EVSE to function. Both of my portable generators are inverter type so I know from testing that the EVSE will not charge unless there is a connection between the neutral and ground terminals of the receptacle. It does not require an actual ground connection such as a ground rod to function, but safety could be a concern if left unattended without a suitable ground.

Where are you plugging the charger in at? Is there an outlet that I am unaware of in the Leaf?

cmwade77 said:
GerryAZ said:
The LEAF's DC-DC converter should handle the load of the Nissan L1 charger continuously through an efficient inverter (12 amperes at 120 volts requires a little over120 amperes at 12 volts because there is some loss in the inverter and wiring). There must be a connection between neutral and ground on the output of the inverter (either resistor or solid bond) for the Nissan EVSE to function. Both of my portable generators are inverter type so I know from testing that the EVSE will not charge unless there is a connection between the neutral and ground terminals of the receptacle. It does not require an actual ground connection such as a ground rod to function, but safety could be a concern if left unattended without a suitable ground.

Where are you plugging the charger in at? Is there an outlet that I am unaware of in the Leaf?

You need a high quality 1500-2000 watt inverter that you can connect to the 12-volt battery with heavy cables (cables will be carrying about 100 amperes). Make sure the LEAF which is providing the boost has plenty of charge left to get to a charging station after supplying about 4 kWh to the dead LEAF so you don't have two dead cars!

Nubo said:
garsh said:
Nubo said:
In 6 years I have never run out. "Range anxiety" is an overplayed meme of FUDsters.
I guess when you never venture more than 10 miles from home, what's there to be anxious about.

FUD thrives on unsubstantiated claims parading as "guesses".
FYI I've taken a 24kWH LEAF on a 1200-mile road trip and I've made unrecharged drives over 100 miles. Reason, facts, and simple maths beat guessing every time.

That's my mindset, but of course things happen. I had joked about the viability of a EV rescue business, but I don't think there would be much demand here in Texas. I could see it being much more viable in California or other states a bit more pro-EV :)

tattoogunman said:
Nubo said:
garsh said:
I guess when you never venture more than 10 miles from home, what's there to be anxious about.

FYI I've taken a 24kWH LEAF on a 1200-mile road trip and I've made unrecharged drives over 100 miles. Reason, facts, and simple maths beat guessing every time.

That's my mindset, but of course things happen. I had joked about the viability of a EV rescue business, but I don't think there would be much demand here in Texas. I could see it being much more viable in California or other states a bit more pro-EV :)

I don't mean to pretend that EV use doesn't present challenges. It's just that I think these are over-hyped. No technology is infinite, infallible or without challenges. I've run out of gasoline twice in my life; so far I have never run out of charge. Those two stats could just as easily have been reversed without incriminating either technology; it's not a big deal.

When people question me about this my answer is that it's really no different than driving a gasoline car. If you don't habitually run out of gasoline then you have enough sense to not habitually run out of charge. Anyone who has enough intelligence to obtain a drivers' license, has the ability to understand the capabilities and limitations of the vehicle they're using.

Nubo said:
tattoogunman said:
Nubo said:

I don't mean to pretend that EV use doesn't present challenges. It's just that I think these are over-hyped. No technology is infinite, infallible or without challenges. I've run out of gasoline twice in my life; so far I have never run out of charge. Those two stats could just as easily have been reversed without incriminating either technology; it's not a big deal.

When people question me about this my answer is that it's really no different than driving a gasoline car. If you don't habitually run out of gasoline then you have enough sense to not habitually run out of charge. Anyone who has enough intelligence to obtain a drivers' license, has the ability to understand the capabilities and limitations of the vehicle they're using.

I agree with you and I have yet to run out of gas at almost 45 years of age ;)

Answering the question, yes I ran out of juice on Saturday. This was the first time for me. I made a failed attempt to drive 65 miles up 4,000ft and back down 6,000ft in -15°F weather. I made it 30 miles and had about 21% left when I hit the only place on the highway that has cell service. I had lost about 30% in the last 5 miles going up a steep incline. So I called a tow truck. I have AAA. Thankfully I could then turn up the heat and wait for the truck.

IssacZachary said:
Answering the question, yes I ran out of juice on Saturday. This was the first time for me. I made a failed attempt to drive 65 miles up 4,000ft and back down 6,000ft in -15°F weather. I made it 30 miles and had about 21% left when I hit the only place on the highway that has cell service. I had lost about 30% in the last 5 miles going up a steep incline. So I called a tow truck. I have AAA. Thankfully I could then turn up the heat and wait for the truck.
I am curious, do you live in one of the areas that AAA has a truck with a DC Quick Charging EVSE on it? I know we have a few around us, but I have been told that it is usually faster to just get towed to the nearest charging station.

cmwade77 said:
IssacZachary said:
I am curious, do you live in one of the areas that AAA has a truck with a DC Quick Charging EVSE on it? I know we have a few around us, but I have been told that it is usually faster to just get towed to the nearest charging station.
No. DC quick charging doesn't exist in my part of the country, neither on AAA trucks nor at charging stations. There's a Level 2 charging station about every 60 miles along the most driven routes, and none along the other routes.

Well, we ran out of juice twice already (in 8months) and went into turtle mode at least one more time!

The first time my wife ran out of juice she was around 2miles away, she pushed it down the hill and then when she arrived in town, I helped her (too pissed about it to call for help). She never turned off the car so it stayed in neutral.

The second time, we went out after coming back from work and only 1h30 of charge... Well 1h40 would have been fine to reach the charging station! We where in the middle of nowhere so we decided to push more than 2miles again but most of it was flat or slightly going down hill. Somebody nicely stopped and offered to pull the car to the charging station.

In case, I printed some pages of the service manual where it talks about safely pulling a leaf all wheels on the ground. So far, only the part on how to put it in neutral was useful....
For those who don't know :
- DO NOT PRESS THE BRAKES and start the car (it will power only on the 12v battery)
- Press the brake and move the knob to N for a few seconds
- Release the brakes and voilà!

If you want to pull the car, some fuses must be removed in order to make sure the car can't go to P again.

The 5 to 7% turn to --- because at that point if you accelerate quickly it will go into turtle mode but if you go very slowly and gently you can go further.

Range anxiety, not really, it starts around 20% when we are far away from any charging stations. But my wife comes back home almost every workday with less than 15%.

IssacZachary said:
cmwade77 said:
IssacZachary said:
No. DC quick charging doesn't exist in my part of the country, neither on AAA trucks nor at charging stations. There's a Level 2 charging station about every 60 miles along the most driven routes, and none along the other routes.
Yuck, that would stink, I think those of us that live in Southern California take it for granted that we are rarely more than about 10 miles from a charging station and probably never more than about 15 to 20 miles from a quick charger.

cmwade77 said:
Yuck, that would stink, I think those of us that live in Southern California take it for granted that we are rarely more than about 10 miles from a charging station and probably never more than about 15 to 20 miles from a quick charger.
You also don't get -15F temperatures.

Back