Newbie question about 2014 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PittLeaf

Hi everyone,
I have been researching about Nissan Leaf for the past 15 days. Most of my research was reading experiences by members of this awesome forum and watching youtube videos. I test drove a 2014 S + QC model last Saturday and I loved it. I wanted to make sure the Battery Health was good so I purchased OBD2 from amazon and LeafSpy Pro iOS app. I went to the dealership today to test drive the car and check the results in the app. Dealer was cool with using the app and was surprised with the information it gave. Below are the details of the car I am planning to buy tomorrow.

2014 S with QC
Manufactured 3/29/2014
Purchased in Norwell MA.
Single owner on Lease and length of ownership was 3yrs.
current odometer: 27,586.
Dashboard shows all 12 bars.
My location; Pittsburgh, PA. The car is listed for sale at Nissan Dealership.

Data from LeafSpy:
Ahr = 56.30
SOH = 86.08%
Hx = 81.99%
209 GIDs 74.4%
SOC 84.5%
154 QCs and 778 L1/L2s
Leaf was not fully charged when I test drove.
Range when I test drove today: 62 miles without heat and 57 with heat (it was 11F in Pittsburgh)

Dealer listed it at 10900 but came down to 10000 + taxes. I checked kbb and CPO cars range for 2014 is between 9.5k - 12.5k.

I am only concerned with SOH 86.08 since I read in this forum that I will loose a bar around 83% or whenAhr drops below 55. Do you think the numbers for a car this old are typical? do I need to worry about anything? I am excited to buy the Leaf but at the same time nervous because this is my first time owning an EV. I own Nissan Murano now and love it. Leaf will be my second car.

Please advice. I did not put any money to reserve the car. I told them I would come tomorrow to buy it. Is there anything I should be worried about? Does CPO Leaf has any advantage over private party Leaf? Do I need to make sure of anything before buying? Thank you for reading.

The first capacity bar drops at roughly 85% in the 24kwh packs, not 83, so you are looking at a "11 plus a little more" bar car. If your range needs will be easily met with 11 bars, and adequately met by ten, then buy the car if you like it. One caveat, though: the S will get much less than 57 miles of actual range under those conditions - more like 40 miles. So will the SV and SL, but the latter two will do better than the S in milder Winter temps, because of the heat pump they have and the S lacks. If you need more than 40 miles of Winter range in frigid weather, look for an SV with a better SOH, built after March of 2013.

Thank you for your quick response. I drive less than 40 miles round trip every day. I think this car meets my needs. will decide and buy the car. Thanks again.

2014 S won't have cruise control.

Also a smaller, non-nav screen, and no Carwings (remote app from your smartphone). The Carwings is not a loss but I really like the cruise and larger nav screen on my '14 SV. My signature shows some LeafSpy stats.

I bought out my lease for 10 grand 2 months ago here in Oregon.

40 miles roundtrip should be very doable...even in cold weather.

No gasoline and a full tank of electrons every AM is awesome!

Thank you finman100 for your response. I don'think I will miss Nav (dont use it on my Murano) and cruise control but I will miss ECO button on the steering wheel (I have to use it from the shifter) and the large screen with access to settings. You got a great deal for 10k. I checked prices around 100 miles radius but the SVs are 13k for non QC versions and I don't want to spend 3k more.

I'll be turning in my low mileage '13 SV sometime late Winter or early Spring. Depending on incentives I might be willing to buy it and resell it to you, but from what I understand there is no residual discount right now, just a CPO warranty, so if that's the case it would be Way too expensive...

Thank you. I bought the Leaf I was test driving last night. Thank you all for the responses and suggestions. Looking forward to share my experience driving the Leaf.

Back