2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped the 3rd bar today. 54.24AH, SOH 68.24%, Hx 59.68%, 38475 mi. 73 L3, 727 L1/L2. Nissan did the battery check just last week and according to them it's in excellent condition. I just completed my usual 55 mi. commute today and arrived home with 13% charge left and 9 mi. left on the GOM. Pretty soon I'm going to have to charge out in town every day or risk not being able to make it home.

johnlocke said:
Dropped the 3rd bar today. 54.24AH, SOH 68.24%, Hx 59.68%, 38475 mi. 73 L3, 727 L1/L2. Nissan did the battery check just last week and according to them it's in excellent condition. I just completed my usual 55 mi. commute today and arrived home with 13% charge left and 9 mi. left on the GOM. Pretty soon I'm going to have to charge out in town every day or risk not being able to make it home.

That's because Nissan's battery check doesn't look at usable capacity/degradation. Did you complain to them about the degradation? Did they even say anything about the capacity bar losses? (my guess is they didn't care)

rcm4453 said:
johnlocke said:

That's because Nissan's battery check doesn't look at usable capacity/degradation. Did you complain to them about the degradation? Did they even say anything about the capacity bar losses? (my guess is they didn't care)
Actually I did complain about it. The service writer passed it off as "pretty normal for your mileage." Obviously wasn't aware of the difference in battery size and didn't know about the 100K warranty. After checking on it, told me that they would replace the battery "after you lose the 4th bar". Obviously, Nissan doesn't care about early failures or excessive degradation. I'm sure that they will cheap it out until the end. I've owned Nissan vehicles for 27 years and always found them reliable and durable. Not this one. If I buy another Leaf (not likely), it will be a lease not a purchase. I'm sure that the next car I get will be an electric ( i've installed large PV arrays) but probably not a Nissan. More likely an off-lease Tesla 3 or maybe a Ford if they get a larger battery. It's a shame really, the Leaf is the most comfortable car i've ever owned (and that includes 2 Maximas) but the battery failure and Nissan's attitude about it have really soured me on the brand.

johnlocke said:

I get quite a bit more than 1 mile per Ahr, so perhaps you can just slow down for a while, until your new battery arrives. That will be more time efficient than charging to drive fast.

The mythical ... off ... lease ...Tesla ... 3???? Wow. :eek:

My 2016 S has 10K, now 1 year old. LeafSpy says 29QCs and 217L1/L2 charges last year. SoH has improved since October from 92 to 94 and Ah from 73.408 to 74.656.

SageBrush said:
johnlocke said:

I get quite a bit more than 1 mile per Ahr, so perhaps you can just slow down for a while, until your new battery arrives. That will be more time efficient than charging to drive fast.
Not a matter of driving too fast, It's a matter of driving down and then back up 2000 ft during my commute. Also, how do you drive slowly on a California freeway without causing wrecks? :) Also I can't get any regen going down hill because the battery is nearly fully charged and won't accept regen so I lose 7% at the start. If I could start at 75-80%, I could do the first 12 miles for free (start at 80% end at 80% with regen). I only need 10 minutes at level 3 to give me enough juice to get home.

johnlocke said:
SageBrush said:
johnlocke said:

Not a matter of driving too fast, It's a matter of driving down and then back up 2000 ft during my commute. Also, how do you drive slowly on a California freeway without causing wrecks? :) Also I can't get any regen going down hill because the battery is nearly fully charged and won't accept regen so I lose 7% at the start. If I could start at 75-80%, I could do the first 12 miles for free (start at 80% end at 80% with regen). I only need 10 minutes at level 3 to give me enough juice to get home.
I was curious ...
Your 2000 foot drop over 12 miles works out to 217 Wh/mile potential energy on average. I doubt you are losing out on much if any regen. I drive in the mountains and have to slow down a little towards the peak of an incline so that I do not end up going too fast on the way down. When I drive there is almost no regen, but my wife collects little regen icons on the screen like they are going out of style.

Maggie said:
Hi. Very first post. Our SV is a 2016 30kwh model, born 10/2015, we bought 12/19/2015 with 100 miles. I would say we push this car to the limit --- we drive 84 miles round trip each day, with an L1 trickle charge in-between for 8 hrs; then an L2 charge back to 100% each night. We drive all highway miles, generally 65-68 mph which is crazy dangerous on Florida highways since no one goes that slow! And yes, Florida -- We just had a super hot summer, AND we have to park the car during those weekday charges in an un-shaded paved lot. With that said, our SOH is 60.63%, AHr 48.19 and it has 39,119 miles. We have 9 bars. GOM [new lingo I have learned, so proud of myself] is 65 or so after a full charge. Frequently reach the turtle warning on our daily trip home, and go past it once in a while--but try hard not to have this happen. From this forum, we expect our 4th bar may go around ahr43-41 or so..? Which may not be till the summer, but there are too many factors at play, that it's seems difficult to say that for sure in our case.
Here are my questions: We didn't realize we were supposed to go for battery checkups each year, could that be a big problem?---should we go to the Nissan dealer NOW and get a reading and start planning for the new battery with them? We probably will need that new battery right away, and it takes a while to order/install from what I have read. It says in the warranty Nissan doesn't have to give us a battery that has 12 bars but anything over 9--- how often does that happen? Seems like people would just be coming right back for another battery if they were doing that. AND...just curious about the brand new 2018 battery that has a range of 150--- does anyone know if that is going to fit into previous year 30kwh vehicles, or is the battery now completely different? I heard somewhere Nissan sold the battery making to someone else?
your stats are already below others who dropped 9th and got a replacement, so you should not have long to wait.

The battery test is not a requirement for replacement.

cwerdna said:
Seems like not many updates have been happening to http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss#Loss_of_four_battery_capacity_bars_.2833.75.25.29 and I don't see any 4 bar 2016 30 kWh losers there yet. (I'd do it if I find some free time...)

Here are links to the 30 kWh 4 bar losers I'm aware of, so far. Please chime if I'm missing any 30 kWh 4+ bar losers or made mistakes. I've included their initials or MNL user name to help avoid confusion or duplication.

1) bakermel1, Phoenix, AZ, Sep 2017:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=506782#p506782
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=506819#p506819

2) SB, Phoenix, AZ, Sep 2017: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=506613#p506613

3) samrovner, Surprise, AZ, Nov 2017: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=510024#p510024

4) LG, Chandler, AZ, Nov 2017: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=512503#p512503

5) ST, Orlando, FL, Dec 2017: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=514452#p514452

6) dfwpev, Dallas, TX, Dec 2017: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=514659#p514659

7) BB, Lake Buena Vista, FL, Dec 2017: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=514929#p514929

I have noted melody b and sflores91 have replacements

jbuntz said:
Maggie said:
Hi. Very first post. Our SV is a 2016 30kwh model, born 10/2015, we bought 12/19/2015 with 100 miles. I would say we push this car to the limit --- we drive 84 miles round trip each day, with an L1 trickle charge in-between for 8 hrs; then an L2 charge back to 100% each night. We drive all highway miles, generally 65-68 mph which is crazy dangerous on Florida highways since no one goes that slow! And yes, Florida -- We just had a super hot summer, AND we have to park the car during those weekday charges in an un-shaded paved lot. With that said, our SOH is 60.63%, AHr 48.19 and it has 39,119 miles. We have 9 bars. GOM [new lingo I have learned, so proud of myself] is 65 or so after a full charge. Frequently reach the turtle warning on our daily trip home, and go past it once in a while--but try hard not to have this happen. From this forum, we expect our 4th bar may go around ahr43-41 or so..? Which may not be till the summer, but there are too many factors at play, that it's seems difficult to say that for sure in our case.
Here are my questions: We didn't realize we were supposed to go for battery checkups each year, could that be a big problem?---should we go to the Nissan dealer NOW and get a reading and start planning for the new battery with them? We probably will need that new battery right away, and it takes a while to order/install from what I have read. It says in the warranty Nissan doesn't have to give us a battery that has 12 bars but anything over 9--- how often does that happen? Seems like people would just be coming right back for another battery if they were doing that. AND...just curious about the brand new 2018 battery that has a range of 150--- does anyone know if that is going to fit into previous year 30kwh vehicles, or is the battery now completely different? I heard somewhere Nissan sold the battery making to someone else?
your stats are already below others who dropped 9th and got a replacement, so you should not have long to wait.

The battery test is not a requirement for replacement.

The AHr 43-41 you mention is more for the 24 kWh Battery.

If you haven’t had the annual battery check I would go ahead and schedule it. Make sure you talk with one of the Service Mgrs/Staff familiar with this test before you go in and ask the turn around time when you make the appointment (the first time I went at a 10am appointment they said it would take all day, so I left and had to elevate the issue all the way to Nissan Customer Service to resolve. Some dealers are better than others).

And, Yes start the dialogue on the battery replacement, confirming the dealer you take your Leaf in for the battery check has also replaced batteries in the past and is experienced.

Just lost my second bar today with less than 6k miles. I haven't even had the car for a year. At this rate, I'll probably have four bars missing by summer.

LeafSpy stats when I leased the car 2/2/17:
AHr: 73.81
SOH: 92% 384.97V
Hx: 88.91%
odo: 221
1 QCs
16 L1/L2s

LeafSpy stats when it lost its first bar 10/29/17:
AHr: 63.92
SOH: 80% 391.06V
Hx: 78.47%
odo: 4,946
3 QCs
143 L1/L2s

LeafSpy stats when it lost its second bar 1/15/18:
AHr: 59.92
SOH: 75.39% 381.58V
Hx: 73.04%
odo: 5,988
3 QCs
176 L1/L2s

slowryd76 said:
Just lost my second bar today with less than 6k miles. I haven't even had the car for a year. At this rate, I'll probably have four bars missing by summer.

1 QCs
16 L1/L2s

LeafSpy stats when it lost its first bar 10/29/17:
AHr: 63.92
SOH: 80% 391.06V
Hx: 78.47%
odo: 4,946
3 QCs
143 L1/L2s

LeafSpy stats when it lost its second bar 1/15/18:
AHr: 59.92
SOH: 75.39% 381.58V
Hx: 73.04%
odo: 5,988
3 QCs
176 L1/L2s

Your car was abused before you got it!

slowryd76 said:
1 QCs
16 L1/L2s
Yikes. What was the build date? I'm guessing this battery was baked all summer, sitting in the sun on the dealers lot at 100% SOC.

BuckMkII said:
slowryd76 said:
1 QCs
16 L1/L2s
Yikes. What was the build date? I'm guessing this battery was baked all summer, sitting in the sun on the dealers lot at 100% SOC.

Yep, it was built in April 2016 and I picked it up Feb 2017. I'm sure it spent a long, hot summer on the dealer's lot at 100% charge.

slowryd76 said:
BuckMkII said:
slowryd76 said:
1 QCs
16 L1/L2s

Yep, it was built in April 2016 and I picked it up Feb 2017. I'm sure it spent a long, hot summer on the dealer's lot at 100% charge.
Honestly, I would have insisted that they replace the battery as a condition of purchasing the vehicle unless you got a killer deal. Of course I am assuming you used LeafSpy at the dealership.

slowryd76 said:
And then you will get a new battery at no cost under warranty.

Dooglas said:
slowryd76 said:
And then you will get a new battery at no cost under warranty.

Actually, I don't recall there being a guarantee of a _new_ battery. I think the wording was that they'd restore or replace it with something that wasn't down 4-bars. Kind of like refurbished hard drives under a 5 year warranty.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Actually, I don't recall there being a guarantee of a _new_ battery. I think the wording was that they'd restore or replace it with something that wasn't down 4-bars. Kind of like refurbished hard drives under a 5 year warranty.
If you read other posts on this site, you will see that warranty claims after loss of 4 bars are routinely resolved by replacement of the battery pack with a new one.

Dooglas said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
If you read other posts on this site, you will see that warranty claims after loss of 4 bars are routinely resolved by replacement of the battery pack with a new one.

I was talking about the 30kwh packs here. They received new wording on the warranty. I might've missed it, but I don't recall seeing anyone post about getting a new battery yet.

And per Nissan's updated warranty ( page 8 - http://juicedcar.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/2016-LEAF-warranty-booklet.pdf):
"This warranty covers any repairs needed to return
battery capacity to a level of nine remaining bars
on the vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge. If
possible, the lithium-ion battery components will
be repaired or replaced, and the original lithiumion
battery will be returned to the vehicle. If necessary,
the lithium-ion battery will be replaced with
either a new or remanufactured lithium-ion battery.

Any repair or replacement made under this
Lithium-Ion Battery Capacity Coverage may not
return your lithium-ion battery to an “as new” condition
with all 12 battery capacity bars, but it will
provide the vehicle with a capacity level of nine
bars or more on the battery capacity level gauge."

I was recently tempted to take advantage of the relatively low residual on my 2016 SV lease by buying it out. As part of my research for this, I spent 2 weeks 'babying' the battery - never charged more than 80%, did several cycles from 80% down to 30%, and finally charged it up to 100% so balancing could take place. The result? I lost another 2.83% SOH. Current numbers are:

Miles: 7405
AHr: 65.54
SOH%: 82.46
Hx%: 78.43
QC: 1
L1/L2: 237

I'd say I'm within spitting distance of losing my first capacity bar. Needless to say, I've shelved any ideas of buying out the lease. Even if the battery was healthy, the new process for getting a buyout number puts all the power in the hands of the stealerships. I'm not in the mood to play that game.

So, my lease return inspection is Friday and I'm calling to set up a time to return the car. I was able to find a 2017 VW e-Golf SE with quick charge for $300/mo (36 months) with no money down. I realize that the e-Golf also does not have a TMS but I loved the way it drove and unlike the Leaf you can easily limit the max charge level through the cars configuration SW. We shall see if I have better luck with VW.

Back