Pay this Guy $5 to Take your OLD EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erco

Let's save the planet! HA!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Recycle-EVSEs-Stop-Landfill-Level-1-Level-2-Electric-Vehicle-Car-Charger/263397611574

EV’s Save the Planet - Thank You

EVDoctor is committed to preserving the environment.

We will recycle your EVSE cables and equipment to keep them out of the landfill.

We will pay for the shipping to us (up to $30).

We ask for a nominal donation of $5 for each item recycled to help us defray the cost. We will accept any Best Offer.

Please contact us if you are interested in recycling your EVSE equipment

EV Doctor is well known for their expertise in Electric Vehicle and high technology design and development. Their engineers have more than 50 years of electronic product repair experience. See our custom test equipment in the photos of this item.

Many municipalities and counties offer electronics recycling for free. If such a program exists in your area, no need to pay someone to do the same thing.

Even on a busted EVSE, some of the parts will still be valuable. The trick is figuring out which parts.

I actually paid $200 ($150 + $50 shipping) for an advertised-as-broken Blink EVSE a few years ago, which in retrospect was not the best money I ever spent, but I was hoping it might turn out to be a simple fix (nope).

This reminds me: anyone want a homely orange Clipper Creek L-1 outdoor rated unit, with 5-15 plug? I assume that either the base unit is dead, or the plug (or cable) is dead, but not both. Please don't PM me, though, as that will kick out old messages I may want to keep. I figure roughly $50 plus actual shipping costs?

Well of course just the cord and J1772 connector are worth a bunch ($220 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-A2055-PEV-120-Volt-Electric-Connector/dp/B00CJWSV0S) so anyone who gives away that much copper is foolish. Can't imagine that anyone would take the guy up on his offer... since he makes a living repairing and selling used EVSEs on Ebay.

I do not think the cable is worth that much currently. Yes in 2012 I paid $340 for a cable but lately I have been buying used 30A non Blink cables for under $100 shipped from eBay. Even new cables are $125 plus shipping.

The J17762 cables have dropped around half but they are still the most expensive part of an EVSE. It is a shame that most are #16 gauge. Unlike the older Leaf's #12 gauge it makes high current impossible. Both of my recent cars have # 16 gunge wires. Thia is overkill for 12A but it makes it hard to upgrade.

My carry along OpenEVSE is 16A @240 with #16 wire. That is as far as you can push the current. #16 120V 24ft cables are $100 from Amazon. With my megger they test fine at 1000V (the top voltage). These days 120V insulation really does not exist. it is all better.

LOL, really? There are plenty of companies that will BUY ewaste from you, especially something like an EVSE, why would you ever pay someone to recycle it? They make money on it after all.

SCAM ALERT!!!

IS IT ME? Or are we REALLY NAIVE (edited version) for discussing this con artist that is buying EVSEs for $25 total, and then he will sell them on ebay??

I would love to report this guy, but if people are stupid enough to fall for this, then they deserve to get scammed...!!!!

powersurge said:
IS IT ME? Or are we imbeciles....

I'm going with imbeciles, anyone who thinks they are not an idiot or buffoon is setting themselves up to a high standard that is always going to prove them wrong. I've not seen anyone else reply to this thread in a way that would suggest anything other than what you have said about it being a scam.

Back