Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
drees said:
edatoakrun said:
[If so, TSLA may have another major problem.
Hey look, I can cherry pick quotes, too!
Indeed. I read that article and overall felt it was pretty positive about the Model 3 other than some of the quality issues and UI issues they pointed out.

As has been inferred by some, Tesla's potential failure won't result from a lack of quality in its products nor product appeal,
i.e. it will occur based on the bottom line.

Edmunds (mostly) likes theirs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=FESJlsKeYGo

Which (oddly) does have alcantara interior as part of its $5k PUP, praised at ~4:50 .

Going-on 900 posts now, on that subject below:

edatoakrun said:
Over 600 posts, WTF ???

Change from alcantara to cloth on PUP???
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/change-from-alcantara-to-cloth-on-pup.105963/page-31

If you want to see what they're missing...

...A common myth about Alcantara is that it's made from the skin of the wild Alcantar — a llama/ostrich hybrid from the borderlands between Peru and Greece whose massive thigh haunches are used to make those huge cones of gyro meat...
https://jalopnik.com/what-the-hell-is-alacantara-anyway-1604799947

edatoakrun said:
Might indicate a supplier relations problem, due to the long-delayed-trickle model 3 production schedule.

Model 3 owners accuse Tesla of bait-and-switch on premium interior materials

Owners report getting cloth interiors instead of Alcantara, with no explanation offered.

Reservation-holders are starting to get deliveries of their Model 3s at long last, but there's rising ire among some who say that Tesla is swapping out premium interior materials for lower-quality cloth versions on premium trim packages without notice, explanation or any offer to discount the price.

Threads on both the Tesla Motors Club forum and Tesla Reddit page are filled with complaints from owners who say they've taken deliveries of the Model 3 sedan and paid $5,000 for premium upgrade packages but gotten interiors with cloth headliners, door accents, B-pillars and visors when they expected Alcantara. One owner took to Twitter to post photos of what he described as a "mix and match" interior in his new car...

"Tesla better correct it," user void-ninja said in a TMC thread. "Basic cloth is not acceptable in a $5,000 upgrade package when better materials are being specified."...
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/11/model-3-owners-premium-interior/

An update on my Model 3, 1 week in:

1) Alcantara: I had no idea this was a thing for the premium upgrade package (PUP). My S did not have it. I guess it was an option with the "P" or Signature series Model S's. My Model 3 has it. But not the headliner. Just the door panels. Could not care less. It's just fake suede. A step up from the fuzzy cloth my 2011 LEAF has that attracts all manner of smudges.

2) Phone-as-key: This has been quirky.
First problem: According to Tesla's posted instructions, it's supposed to work with iOS devices whether or not your Tesla App is running. Yet, per Tesla support, it does in fact require app to be running. Ok.

Second problem: My wife's phone does not work at all. (both our phones are iPhones). That turns out to be due to the fact that Tesla won't allow phone-as-key to share the same Tesla account. Seems odd since when her phone is connected to same account as mine, she can, in fact, start and operate the car! She just can't enter it if locked. So, had to set up a second account in her name and grant her phone access through my account. Still waiting for that to work through the system. In the meantime the good news is I get to drive the 3 much more.

Third problem: Sometimes it works (when I walk out to car it automatically unlocks). Sometimes it doesn't and it requires that I wake the phone or unlock it. Also, Model 3 needs to be the selected vehicle (2 Tesla family).

3) Doors are kinda hard to close. Requires a firm throw. Plus with the X, I got used to the doors closing themselves. So, I'm out of practice. I've left the 3 a couple of times with the door ajar. Only realized it when I checked the app.

Otherwise, so far, I can't think of a thing I'd change about the car. Really, solid and quick.

sparky said:

Thanks for the update.

I am not a fan of Bluetooth. At best things are slow to connect. At worst they don't connect at all and require a re-cycle of the Bluetooth radio on the phone to get things working. Frankly I wish they'd just scrap the whole standard and re-implement it in a way that makes sense. And then there's the whole issue with my phone's battery not lasting 3 hours any more.

However, I do get the push to start using vehicles in Fleet mode, and I suspect that access will be controlled via apps.

I just don't get what the problem is with a good old traditional key fob like the LEAF has. Yeah, I know there are key cards, but really, my wallet already is full of cards as it is. I realize some poeple will love the idea of an app; some people will not mind the key cards; but why not give a third option as well?

Plus, how does it work with 2 people (assuming there are no issues with getting a second phone working at all)? If I get in the car as a passenger first, and then my wife gets in as a driver, does it know that she's sitting in the driver's seat and to use her profile? And what is the proximity to the vehicle before it unlocks? I have heard reports of people that walk past their garage door and it sounds like the car unlocks and gets ready for use. At least with the key fob / key card you have to be standing pretty much next to the door.

sparky said:
Otherwise, so far, I can't think of a thing I'd change about the car. Really, solid and quick.
Of course there are things I would change about the software. Voice commands for activating the different uses for the steering wheel scroll-wheels for starters.

lpickup said:
sparky said:
I just don't get what the problem is with a good old traditional key fob like the LEAF has. Yeah, I know there are key cards, but really, my wallet already is full of cards as it is. I realize some poeple will love the idea of an app; some people will not mind the key cards; but why not give a third option as well?

Plus, how does it work with 2 people (assuming there are no issues with getting a second phone working at all)? If I get in the car as a passenger first, and then my wife gets in as a driver, does it know that she's sitting in the driver's seat and to use her profile? And what is the proximity to the vehicle before it unlocks? I have heard reports of people that walk past their garage door and it sounds like the car unlocks and gets ready for use. At least with the key fob / key card you have to be standing pretty much next to the door.
I do like the fact that the key-cards are cheap. Supposedly, the first time you lose it it's a no charge replacement from Tesla (we'll see). Key fob >$200.

The phone has to be pretty close before the Model 3 unlocks. Around 4-5 meters it seems. But I have unlocked it from my kitchen which is closest room to my my detached garage. This is also a problem with key fobs.
Recently we spent a few days at MILs house. The X was charging in her driveway and parked backwards. Next morning the neighbors asked what was wrong with our car since the lights kept going on and off long into the night. That was me, walking in and out of living room. I guess they shined right into neighbors' bedroom.
With the phone-key app and Model 3, this is prevented by just closing the app.

lpickup said:
I am not a fan of Bluetooth. At best things are slow to connect. At worst they don't connect at all and require a re-cycle of the Bluetooth radio on the phone to get things working. Frankly I wish they'd just scrap the whole standard and re-implement it in a way that makes sense. And then there's the whole issue with my phone's battery not lasting 3 hours any more.
Sounds like time for a new phone :)

sparky said:
Of course there are things I would change about the software. Voice commands for activating the different uses for the steering wheel scroll-wheels for starters.
tweet.jpg

sparky said:
The phone has to be pretty close before the Model 3 unlocks. Around 4-5 meters it seems. But I have unlocked it from my kitchen which is closest room to my my detached garage. This is also a problem with key fobs.
Recently we spent a few days at MILs house. The X was charging in her driveway and parked backwards. Next morning the neighbors asked what was wrong with our car since the lights kept going on and off long into the night. That was me, walking in and out of living room. I guess they shined right into neighbors' bedroom.
I think early Tesla X FOB versions and firmwares had an issue of talking to each other when outside the car and one downside was reduced battery life. I just keep my FOB in an old Altoids tin. I had an early Sig X and now have a June 2017 one and I know the FOBs have changed. Likely I don't need the Altoids tin any more :) but I had it in my key location so I just continue to use it.

As for when visit the MIL or similar situation perhaps just wrap it in Tinfoil? My IL tollway I-Pass device came deliver to me the other day like this.

sparky said:
Key fob >$200.

Yes, I am aware of how expensive key fobs are, and frankly I do think it's more of a case of them being able to get away with charging that much rather than how much the technology actually costs in the volumes we are talking about. Nonetheless, would gladly take the risk of losing/damaging a $200 key fob rather than having to rely on a free phone app. Seriously.

sparky said:

4-5 meters is pretty far really! In my house my office is right through the wall from where the Model 3 would be parked. Sitting in that room I would probably only be 6-8 feet from the door, although granted there is a wall there. My fear is that the Model 3 would be locking/unlocking as my phone goes in and out of range while I'm sitting in that room.

On the LEAF and Volt you literally have to be standing right next to the door to unlock it. So if this a typical problem with keyfobs, Nissan and GM have solved it in my opinion. So why can't Tesla just do what they did?

sparky said:
With the phone-key app and Model 3, this is prevented by just closing the app.

And then I suppose you have to re-start the app to get it working again? Not to sound lazy, but it's those types of additional steps I am looking to avoid. I certainly have become spoiled with being able to simply walk up to the car and hitting the unlock (or lock) button. Granted, I see how a phone based approach COULD be superior in even the button press is not needed. I'm just concerned about the reliability of that happening and only happening when you want it to.

dm33 said:
Sounds like time for a new phone :)

Agreed, and I did just get a new phone to replace the piece of crap phone (from a very reputable name brand, and only 2 years old!) in anticipation of having to use it as a key.

THIS:
ElonMusk said:

This is why I can't understand everyone who is getting their panties all in a bunch about the touchscreen. I guess if you have never owned a Tesla, you don't understand how valuable OTA updates are. As I suspected, Tesla is just pushing the Model 3's out the door as quickly as possible now to satisfy customers and shareholders, while the software guys are busy finishing the touchscreen interface and voice commands. The cars will just keep on getting better and better, for years to come. This is the way Tesla does things, unlike every other manufacturer who expects you to dump last year's model to get some new feature. If you can't deal with that, maybe a Tesla isn't for you, and there are plenty of other cars out there.

I like the thought of having a car that will be improved (preferably for free) while it sits in the garage. I don't want a car, however, that lacks important, easy to include features like a key fob when it rolls off the lot or truck. They could have made two fobs a $300 option.

I haven't had the issues with the phones, and we have two iPhones.

I don't really like the card entry, simply because the card has to be placed somewhere, where a fob has a battery and can stay in my pocket, like the iPhone.

Anyhoo, I've not used the card even once since pairing the iPhone.

I have a long laundry list of things to complain about, but I suspect most will be addressed with OTA updates.

Phenomenal car!!!

keydiver said:
If you can't deal with that, maybe a Tesla isn't for you, and there are plenty of other cars out there.

Here's the thing, though. There really aren't plenty of other cars out there. There's the Bolt, and eventually Nissan will catch up with the 2019 Leaf. That's three whole options. And neither the Bolt nor the Leaf have anywhere near the supporting quick-charge infrastructure.

I understand that there are certain things that are trendy. Auto-pilot. Large touch screens. Treating your car like a piece of electronics (e.g. OTA updates). None of that really appeals to me. I love cars because I love driving. Tesla makes the electric cars that should be the most driver-oriented. But then they do everything they can to remove the driver from the experience of actually driving. It's that tension that drives me away. At least my Bolt makes no pretense of wanting to drive for me, or making me talk to it to perform routine functions (no wiper stalk? really?).

For those who want to enjoy the above trends, by all means do so. The Model 3 is a wonderful car and I am by no means putting it down. It is truly revolutionary, in the same way that the Model S was before it.

TonyWilliams said:
I haven't had the issues with the phones, and we have two iPhones.

I don't really like the card entry, simply because the card has to be placed somewhere, where a fob has a battery and can stay in my pocket, like the iPhone.

I'm on the same page with you re: key card. It would be a step backwards to have to actually get something out of my pocket.

As for the phones, let me say that obviously I don't know whether or not it will be a problem. Maybe Tesla finally has done a Bluetooth implementation that actually works with all the various phones on the market and somehow they are able to accurately get the distance right. I am just expressing my fear that there will be issues.

Reminds me of the first time I stayed at a Hilton with Bluetooth door locks. Turned out to be a complete hassle compared to swiping a key, and didn't even work anyway.

But I do plan on giving it a fair try anyway.

GetOffYourGas said:
keydiver said:
If you can't deal with that, maybe a Tesla isn't for you, and there are plenty of other cars out there.

Here's the thing, though. There really aren't plenty of other cars out there. There's the Bolt, and eventually Nissan will catch up with the 2019 Leaf. That's three whole options. And neither the Bolt nor the Leaf have anywhere near the supporting quick-charge infrastructure.

I understand that there are certain things that are trendy. Auto-pilot. Large touch screens. Treating your car like a piece of electronics (e.g. OTA updates). None of that really appeals to me. I love cars because I love driving. Tesla makes the electric cars that should be the most driver-oriented. But then they do everything they can to remove the driver from the experience of actually driving. It's that tension that drives me away. At least my Bolt makes no pretense of wanting to drive for me, or making me talk to it to perform routine functions (no wiper stalk? really?).

For those who want to enjoy the above trends, by all means do so. The Model 3 is a wonderful car and I am by no means putting it down. It is truly revolutionary, in the same way that the Model S was before it.

This surprises me, greatly.
I am no sports car enthusiast, however I know lots of Tesla owners that are.
I have felt more ‘connected’ to driving in the Tesla than any other car I have ever driven or test driven.
I am guessing you expanded on this? Do you have a link to an earlier post going into a bit of detail about this?

keydiver said:
THIS:
ElonMusk said:

This is why I can't understand everyone who is getting their panties all in a bunch about the touchscreen. I guess if you have never owned a Tesla, you don't understand how valuable OTA updates are. As I suspected, Tesla is just pushing the Model 3's out the door as quickly as possible now to satisfy customers and shareholders, while the software guys are busy finishing the touchscreen interface and voice commands. The cars will just keep on getting better and better, for years to come. This is the way Tesla does things, unlike every other manufacturer who expects you to dump last year's model to get some new feature. If you can't deal with that, maybe a Tesla isn't for you, and there are plenty of other cars out there.

+1000 Good luck with any upgrades on other EVs.

GetOffYourGas said:
...I love cars because I love driving. Tesla makes the electric cars that should be the most driver-oriented. But then they do everything they can to remove the driver from the experience of actually driving. It's that tension that drives me away. At least my Bolt makes no pretense of wanting to drive for me, or making me talk to it to perform routine functions (no wiper stalk? really?)....

My feelings exactly. It's as if they're hell-bent on autonomous cars but have to begrudgingly put up with accommodating human drivers. So enamored with software that they are blind to the advantages of dedicated human-hardware interfaces that have evolved in over a century of use.

I applaud the range and it's a nice-looking car. The supercharging network shows that Tesla understands and is committed to making EVs feasible. However, for me to own one to drive? No thanks. I want the wiper stalk. I want knobs and levers I can reach and actuate without looking or a moment's thought. That stay off when I mean them to be off and turn on when I tell them to turn on. I DO NOT want the car deciding and I don't want to take my eyes off the road to dig through menus, and I don't want to verbally negotiate with a goddamned computer to accomplish something that should only take a flick of the wrist.

GRA said:
Via IEVS:
Tesla Rep Reveals Little-Known Model 3 Info – Alcantara Out, Heated Rear Seats, White Interior Soon
https://insideevs.com/tesla-representative-reveals-little-known-model-3/

Assume Tesla definition of 'soon'.

insideEVs said:
The rep expects white to be offered on the long-range version of the Model 3 prior to Tesla making available the shorter range 3. That puts the timeframe for the arrival of the white interior at point time from now through the end of the year,

Well my delivery estimate for a standard battery says "Early 2018", which means I should have it by September. When production first started last summer it was Jan-Feb, then in the fall it changed to Mar-April, and now it just says early 2018.

Back