TCU Upgrade Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGreen

I could not find an answer to this on Google or the forum search.

But I recently scheduled an appointment to get my 2015 Leaf TCU upgraded to the 3g version. I just bought the Leaf about 4 months ago as a lease trade in and really enjoy the car.

The Nissan tech told me that the cost of the upgrade would be $199. I mentioned again that I have a 2015 Leaf but still was quoted $199.

I’ve read that 2015 Leafs can get the upgrade done for free, while 2011-2014 models needed to pay the $199 for the upgrade. Is this still the case? Or has that free TCU upgrade for 2015’s ended? Or maybe the 2015’s never had a free TCU upgrade program?

I appreciate any help.

Okay, thanks for the replies. I will have to make sure they don't charge me for the 2015 TCU upgrade. The guy who I talked to made it clear I had to pay the $199 for the upgrade, he must not be fully informed on the pricing.

i call my local dealership and Was told that the cost of the Unit, inlcuding time to install was $300. Are the prices you were quoted including the install time? Right now, it's not worth it to me nor do I have $300 sat around doing nothing

For the record, the TCU upgrade (where warranted) is $199 PERIOD. No additional install/disposal/warranty/etc.

Are there any posting of this so I can go back to them? though at $200 I'm still not really convinced it is worth my while.. the only thing it would give me that I'd be interested in is daily logs on the website and being able to see the battery level while it is charging, all the other features I recall didn't seem too much of a deal breaker for me. It's just annoying how they build in obsolescence in to cars when the cars are out of date when they are first released and new. The Nissan Leaf was a car that was developed, probably, in 2007-2009 period and was on the road in the US in 2010 and you can still buy that model (basically) today still.. depending on stock. some 8 years later. They need to make them easily degradable. it's not like they didn't know that 2G would come to an end but I get it.. it is a world wide car, not just an american car.

Maybe they figured that having a car that ages well isn't good for business. I think it increases value of the used market which helps the newer ones demand more... if you know a car will tank in value, why pay the sticker price?

DuncanCunningham said:
The Nissan Leaf was a car that was developed, probably, in 2007-2009 period and was on the road in the US in 2010 and you can still buy that model (basically) today still.. depending on stock. some 8 years later.

Shutdown of ATT's 2G network was not announced until after initial availability of the Leaf.
At least Nissan designed the car so the TCU could be upgraded...which they offered at a reasonable cost.
All other discussions are for a different thread.

I am just finished TCU upgrade ordeal in my recently purchased Leaf SV 2015 CPO. First of all, I have to find all relevant info and official Nissan bulletin to convince local dealer who actually was an early adopter of Leaf selling. Service reps have no clue when you talk about Leaf, all they know is oil change, tire rotation and inspections. Fortunately, the only "Leaf guy" was passing by and they asked him a question and shown the printed papers about the upgrade and he finally agreed it is free and he will do the upgrade. After upgrade nothing worked, portal was complaining about EV PIN and VIN mismatch and car was telling me to go to "Data communication menu settings". After 2 weeks of struggle and escalating the issue in EV portal, nothing was done at all, zero. So I found Leaf Navigation user manual and after reading through it, I stumbled over one page right after Carwings errors/troubleshooting page with bunch of screen shots and no explanations what it is for, but it was about Data communication. So luckily, I looked at this page and went to my car to see how it is configured. And it was set to "user settings" with manual provider On, but no provider chosen. I changed it to use automatic config and it displayed AT&T. And what do you know - everything started to work. So some how this setting was misconfigured on 2G unit, when 3G unit was installed - it copied all of those settings over to 3G from old 2G unit and left new 3G unit misconfigured.

Hi all, I had my TCU replaced on my 2015 at the beginning of last year (2019). I don't access the Connect app all that often and at the times I have - its been a bit finicky. I've even had to go to the car to log out and then log back in to "restart" the system. Recently, I was unable to use it all. I contacted the Nissan Leaf Owners Connect department customer services and because all the details of the TCU info were starred out and I was logged out of the system, I was told I would need to go to the dealer for a repair (presumably a hardware failure).

I located a YouTube video of a guy who unhooked his negative battery terminal for at least five minutes and was able to "restart" the system (TCU). I had done this procedure earlier in the day, yet did not leave the 12 volt auxiliary battery disconnected for five minutes. I tried it last night and was able to log in and see all the TCU info and the app is now functional again :)

I did replace the 12 volt auxiliary battery some months ago and wonder if that created/caused the issue...

Stay safe all and be well!

Mark

jlv said:
Pulled the fuse on the TCU is the easier way to accomplish this.

Given fuse location and small size, for me it seemed easier to disconnect the negative battery cable. I will say using the fuse method would at least maintain radio settings etc. I did note that now my dash clock is off by 10 minutes... Hoping that will correct the next time I go to use the car.

Is the TCU fuse under the hood? If so, passenger or driver's side?

Thanks for the input :)

Mark

Back