mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Re: 2011 with new battery vs. 2013 with 12 bars

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:51 am

emilyuna wrote:Thank you all again so much for your comments! BuckMkII, yeah, the battery availability is something to be aware of for sure, but I do agree with powersurge that there will be options. I mean, one can never totally know what will happen in the future ... I guess I'll find out in 12-15 years when I get ready to put a fourth battery into a twenty year old Leaf? :D ebeighe - it's great to hear from another person in the southwest who is a daily bike commuter who also has a Leaf. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying yours so far!

I've got my Craigslist saved searches dialed in and am ready to go with LeafSpy; now it's just a matter of the right Leaf coming up for sale somewhere vaguely close to where I live.

I know I'm late to this party, but did you never consider buying your car back as salvage and replacing the damaged wiring harnesses?
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 75,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

emilyuna

Re: 2011 with new battery vs. 2013 with 12 bars

Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:33 pm

I know I'm late to this party, but did you never consider buying your car back as salvage and replacing the damaged wiring harnesses?

Ha! Yes! However... the settlement the insurance company gave me was for far more than what I would have ever been able to sell my car for, and I had already started to think about casually saving for a new used car in five years or so - and five years might still have been a stretch. Until two years ago, my car had lived street parking style in Boston, so there was, shall we say, a bit of rust. Also, it was all of the wires. Seriously. Who knew tiny bunny rabbits could chew through so much wire so quickly!? I thought about doing the wire replacement myself as it wasn't the wires themselves that totaled the car but the labor for installing them. While I am quite handy, I haven't done a lot of electrical or car stuff, and I have this new job and new house that already suck up a lot of my time. It was a really great car. If it hadn't been for the things in my life that already suck up my time, if I hadn't already started considering buying a different car, and if the settlement offer hadn't been so good, I probably would have given it a go myself. ;)

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”