Why the LEAF Gen 2 and not the 220 miles Tesla Model 3?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SageBrush said:
I made a comparison table, though some data is incomplete.
The LEAF SL and SV have the stand-out value of TACC, but in most other respects the base Model 3 either matches or trounces the high end LEAF. Note that I flipped the 'SL' and 'SV' labels.

uc
Looks good! I do wish the Model 3 had a heated steering wheel.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
SageBrush said:
I made a comparison table, though some data is incomplete.
The LEAF SL and SV have the stand-out value of TACC, but in most other respects the base Model 3 either matches or trounces the high end LEAF. Note that I flipped the 'SL' and 'SV' labels.

uc
Looks good! I do wish the Model 3 had a heated steering wheel.
I'm shocked it doesn't :shock:
Personally I'd not want a vehicle without that feature, it's that important to me :)
I'd trade a half a dozen other features for a heated steering wheel!

That table assigns features to only the SL that the SV also has with the Tech Package. I'm also amazed at no heated steering wheel in the 3. I wouldn't drive one if it were given to me for free, between that and the rough ride. Maybe that too is wrong in the chart.

Turns out the table is correct --- I thought for a while that the 'SV' is the highest trim but it is indeed the 'SL'

I personally do not care about a heated steering wheel even though I live in a 4 season climate because I use nice gloves; but for those that do, inexpensive aftermarket alternatives exist.

SageBrush said:
Turns out the table is correct --- I thought for a while that the 'SV' is the highest trim but it is indeed the 'SL'

I personally do not care about a heated steering wheel even though I live in a 4 season climate because I use nice gloves; but for those that do, inexpensive aftermarket alternatives exist.
While I've heard of adding heated seats(and actually added them to all 4 seats in our Prius) I have not heard of anyone adding a heated steering wheel aftermarket, are you saying it's a possibility? Short of replacing the whole steering wheel I can't see how it would be possible....
As I've said before, personally I could live without heated seats(as long as the car doesn't have leather) but having had a heated steering wheel(having one before) is almost a must. Now if course if someone was going to give me a Model 3 for free.....well heck I'd take it no matter what features it had :lol:

While I've heard of adding heated seats(and actually added them to all 4 seats in our Prius) I have not heard of anyone adding a heated steering wheel aftermarket, are you saying it's a possibility? Short of replacing the whole steering wheel I can't see how it would be possible....

There are crappy heated steering wheel covers available, but none work really well. The battery powered ones last 1 hour at most, and the plug-in ones are supposed to be unplugged when you drive the car. A poor substitute indeed...

The steering wheel heater covers are easy to find on Amazon.
Or buy a nice pair of gloves ... or heated gloves, for that matter.

It is a trivial problem to resolve.

My issue is actually cold feet, LOL
Last week I replaced the soles with much better insulation and am a pretty happy camper now.

I updated the table to add some organization.
Can anybody help with the unknowns ?

The comparison Tesla is the base, SR model without any options (PUP, AP, FSD, Wheels or $1,000 non-black color) chosen.
The 'SV' models has a $2200 "tech upgrade package" option that includes the 120/240 volt mobile charger and other other stuff
The 'S' model has a $1590 "tech upgrade package" option that includes the L3 port and 120/240 volt mobile charger.
A $450 - $900 'Weather package' is offered that includes heated wheel, heated seats, and heated mirrors.

uc

LeftieBiker said:

There are crappy heated steering wheel covers available, but none work really well. The battery powered ones last 1 hour at most, and the plug-in ones are supposed to be unplugged when you drive the car. A poor substitute indeed...

I don't know... If I could get one that would give me an actual hour of comfortable warmth, I might put it on my 2015 LEAF and stop using Nissan's burn/freeze device. :lol:

LEAF no longer comes with 3.3 L2 charging

In car 4G available on SV and up

Really the best deal is SV with climate and tech. About $35½K heated wheels, ACC. This is what I am getting. First unforced model upgrade ever for me. (yeah, I am that cheap) remembering that my 2011 SL doesn't really count but was only way to get chademo so had to be done.

DaveinOlyWA said:

In car 4G available on SV and up

Really the best deal is SV with climate and tech. About $35½K heated wheels, ACC. This is what I am getting. First unforced model upgrade ever for me. (yeah, I am that cheap) remembering that my 2011 SL doesn't really count but was only way to get chademo so had to be done.

Re L2 (and L3): Got it, thanks
Re 4g: noted

LeftieBiker said:

Then the S without the Charge Package now comes with the 6.6 OBC standard?

It sure seems that way. According to the website, the Charge Package adds a 120V/240V portable cable and a quick charge port. It says nothing about upgrading the on board charger.

LeftieBiker said:
That table assigns features to only the SL that the SV also has with the Tech Package. I'm also amazed at no heated steering wheel in the 3. I wouldn't drive one if it were given to me for free, between that and the rough ride. Maybe that too is wrong in the chart.
ahha, the hate is strong in this one. The model 3 is a better car than the Leaf. To not drive it if given to you free? You are visiting way too many anti-tesla sources.

It is true the tesla lacks heated steering wheel. It's still a premium feature in most cars.

It looks like the leaf lacks driver memory and I really want to have that badly. I'll take it over a heated steering wheel. I remember my 2012 leaf's heated steering wheel was garbage. It would pulse on and off between hot and cold. I assume nissan eventually fixed that? It was the best thing since sliced bread for 20 seconds, then it would shut off, get cold, then turn on again. Crazy.

The comparison table is more accurate now, and @DaveInOly has rightly pointed out that most of the missing convenience feature set in the LEAF compared to the base Tesla can be bought with relatively inexpensive packages. No way to fix the LEAF battery and charging disadvantages.

My take: for similar money, a LEAF will also grant you TACC and a heated steering wheel but you pass on a much more powerful car, future software upgrades, a larger screen, and vastly superior battery and charging. I can see how someone who has modest driving requirements (or another vehicle) and plans to lease may well prefer one feature set or the other. The Model 3 is an easy choice if car purchase is envisioned.

Note to @eatsshootsandleafs: the custom driver profile is a Model 3 PUP upgrade feature. Sorry for the confusion; I'll update the table in the next revision.

uc

SageBrush said:
The comparison table is more accurate now, and @DaveInOly has rightly pointed out that most of the missing convenience feature set in the LEAF compared to the base Tesla can be bought with relatively inexpensive packages. No way to fix the LEAF battery and charging disadvantages.

Thanks for putting this together.

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
I remember my 2012 leaf's heated steering wheel was garbage. It would pulse on and off between hot and cold. I assume nissan eventually fixed that?
Did they ever? It works that horrible way in my 2013.

ahha, the hate is strong in this one. The Model 3 is a better car than the Leaf. To not drive it if given to you free? You are visiting way too many anti-Tesla sources.

It is true the Tesla lacks heated steering wheel. It's still a premium feature in most cars.

No, I'm not a Tesla hater. I have such poor circulation in my hands (and feet) that I have to have a heated steering wheel, or use my bulky heated snowmobile gloves all Winter. I also don't like harsh rides anymore, even with better cornering. It's a case of the M3 not having the features I need and like most. If given one I'd sell it.

Back