The Electric Motorcycle & Motorscooter Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Via ABG, ground motorcycles are so 20th-century:
Dubai police reveal new Scorpion hoverbike at GITEX
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/15/dubai-police-scorpion-hoverbike-video/

Last week's Gulf Information Technology Exposition (GITEX) showcased The Rise of the Machines, one machine rising above them all: a new hoverbike for the Dubai police force. Developed with Russian company Hoversurf using that company's recently released, battery-powered Scorpion-3 model as a base, the Dubai police version can hover up to an altitude-limited five meters (16 feet), travel at a speed-limited max of 70 kilometers per hour (43 miles per hour), and run for 25 minutes on a charge.

Those specifications won't frighten any criminals, especially not the street-racing kind known for hitting takeoff speeds on Dubai's long, straight highways. But the police force aims to deploy its latest toy as a first-responder vehicle in hard-to-reach places, such as the middle of a traffic jam. Conveyed to a staging point, the Scorpion's 660-pound cargo capacity could carry an officer to a choke-point scene with aid before a Mercedes G-wagen or Bugatti Veyron could get through. The hoverbike also does standard drone duty with a range of up to six kilometers. The video below shows a Dubai officer - in 26 pounds of motocross protective gear - performing maneuvers on the Scorpion in a parking lot while other, more traditional Dubai patrol vehicles standby in the background. . . .
There's a video. It's a quadcopter with a seat and controls.

Thanks @LeftieBiker for pointing us to the appropriate thread!

This post on our blog (http://bit.ly/ElectricMotorcycles) provides an overview of a few electric motorcycle options, including more information on Energicam the only electric motorcycle to support DC fast charging, and Brutus, which provides a slightly tougher and more retro style.

We also cover Zero, a zero-emission electric motorcycle company, the Lightning LS218, Victory, and Alta’s Redshift electric motorcycle that comes in motocross or supermoto versions, so you can have an electrifying experience without burning gas!

CP_Blog_Energica.jpg

Via ABG:
Vespa electrified Elettrica scooters will hit city streets (quietly) in 2018
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/08/vespa-electric-elettrica-scooters/

. . . Piaggio, the company producing Vespa scooters, has announced the Elettrica will ship next year, and that it's good for a range of 100 kilometers or 62 miles. Crucially, though, there was not mention of a selling price.

. . . thanks to the wonders of an electric motor, the silent Elettrica should be far perkier than the non-electric version. Piaggio says the Elettrica delivers "continuous" power of 2 kilowatts, with peak power at 4 kilowatts. The Elettrica will charge fully in four hours, and the projected lifetime of its lithium-ion batteries is 10 years or roughly 40,000 miles. After 1,000 charge cycles the batteries' capacity will be down to 80 percent. A hybrid version called the Elettrica X will have double the range to more than 120 miles.

In addition to the electric hardware, there's software on offer. A 4.3-inch Vespa Multimedia Platform display shows information pertinent to the charge and range, and will also connect to the rider's smartphone and eventually a Bluetooth-pairable helmet that can be used for voice commands.

A few thoughts:

* Vespas are ridiculously expensive. I'm sure it will cost as much as a Honda Gold Wing.

* Manufacturer's range estimates are to be believed only as the upper limit of what is possible under hypermiling conditions. They say 62 miles? Figure 45. Maybe 40 on the freeway.

H'mm. Via IEVS:
Maker Of AK-47 Unveils Rugged Electric Motorcycle
https://insideevs.com/maker-ak-47-unveils-rugged-electric-motorcycle/

Introduced in September at the International Military-Technical Forum in Russia, the sparkster is reportedly slated for use by the Moscow police during the World Cup soccer games next year.

According to our pals over at Lanesplitter, the thus far unnamed (Kalectrikov?), the machine is built by Kalishnikov subsidiary IZH, which began producing motorcycles in 1928. Production ramped up after World War II, when the Soviet government acquired a DKW plant in east Germany as part of the allies’ war reparations agreement, and moved the tooling to the Ural Mountains. . . .

The police version of the new electric reportedly has a range of around 100 miles. The report contained no information on the motor’s power output, battery capacity, or charging data. The machine is apparently a fully-faired version of the military model, with a conventional fork, single front disc brake, and crash bars. It lacks the camo-model’s rather rudimentary looking handlebar rifle rack, which is presumably built to hold an AK. . . .

Via IEVS:
KSR MOTO Announces Affordable New VIONIS E-Scooter
https://insideevs.com/ksr-moto-announces-affordable-new-vionis-e-scooter/

. . . KSR announced its new 2,000-watt, two-passenger E-scooter that boasts a surprising amount of noteworthy features for such an affordable ride. Cheap two-wheelers typically mean weak engines, but KSR MOTO’s VIONIS has managed to deliver a machine that delivers good around town performance at a very reasonable cost. Powered by a Bosch motor and fully-removable LG lithium ion batteries, the VIONIS is capable of speeds of around 30mph and a range of 35 miles per charge.

The VIONIS’s 2,000-watts of continuous power results in 34ft-pound feet of torque on tap, which KSR MOTO claims is comparable to your average 500cc motorcycle. The removable LG lithium-ion cells are ideal for urban dwellers who might not have a garage, as the batteries can be easily schlepped inside walkup apartments and charged. Obviously, none of the VIONIS’s specs are particularly striking, but KSR MOTO has nonetheless created a pretty impressive package when you consider its roughly $2,300 price-tag. . . .

If that's a 2000 watt hubmotor, then it's weak and slow despite the PR. If it uses a chain or belt drive DC motor, then it might have modest guts. I had a little X-Treme 3kw hubmotor scooter that was adequate...for one rider happy with 40MPH. I also had a ZEV 5kw hubmotor scooter that would easily carry two people, but was terribly slow from 0-10mph and above 45MPH. My peppiest small scooter was an Oxygen Lepton that used a chain drive DC motor. At 1800 watts it was the smallest motor, but could just about match the 5kw scooter in acceleration - all the way up to its 25MPH limit.

GetOffYourGas said:
Why is that, I wonder? Is it a matter of gearing?

Two factors affect the "guts" of an electric motorcycle: gearing and whether or not you have a slow-turning hubmotor that has to move the bike a significant distance before completing even one full revolution. Fast acceleration from a stop pretty much requires something other than a hubmotor.

I'm thinking of getting this bike, if my health and bank account allow:

https://smile.amazon.com/exec/obido...encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8

I started out riding small dirt bikes, and I'd like to have an electric dirt bike for trail and maybe a little gravel pit riding. I'm not even considering a Zero FX after my debacle with the defective Zero SR I was sold last year, but this bike uses simpler drive technology and is half the cost of a base FX. I'd have a hitch installed on my new (leased) Leaf, and would get a very small bike trailer that could carry this and one of my electric bicycles at the same time.

ABG:
Arcimoto FUVs are headed to customers
The wait for the electric trike is over
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/22/arcimoto-fuv-electric-trike-shipping/

. . . It reaches a top speed of 75 mph, has a city driving range of 102.5 miles per charge, supports level two charging and costs $19,900, before tax credits and EV rebates. It comes with heated seats and grips, Bluetooth speakers, removable doors and lockable rear storage. . . .

Available in the "COW" states initially.

I've seen one reference to a car (Ionic, IIRC) being available in just CA and OR, but generally the CARB states all get a CARB-targeted vehicle. I guess in this case it may be very low production volume.

Back