Leaf as taxi/shuttle

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tattoogunman

Is anyone on here operating their Leaf as a taxi or shuttle? I'm kicking around an idea and was wanting to talk to people who may be doing this. I'm aware of the Leaf's limitations and my idea involves extremely limited distances, so range shouldn't be an issue for what I'm looking at.

Which Leaf do you have? I can't imagine being able to use a 24kw model as a taxi/shuttle, given how often you would need to charge it. Also, there is not much cargo room, and while the back seat is not tiny, I would not want it as my taxi or shuttle ride.

jake14mw said:
I can't imagine being able to use a 24kw model as a taxi/shuttle, given how often you would need to charge it. Also, there is not much cargo room, and while the back seat is not tiny, I would not want it as my taxi or shuttle ride.
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "kw".

Long ago, there was this pilot program in NYC: http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/news/initiative_ev_pilot_program.shtml and https://jalopnik.com/5870585/the-nissan-leaf-is-new-york-citys-newest-taxi. They had two Leafs each share one medallion.

I've seen that some folks use Leafs as Uber or Lyft vehicles, from the Plugshare check ins. They probably were using Nissan NCTC. However, it'd probably not a great idea if one wants to do it as a full-time job due to the all the lost revenue from having to divert to charge and wait.

jake14mw said:
Which Leaf do you have? I can't imagine being able to use a 24kw model as a taxi/shuttle, given how often you would need to charge it. Also, there is not much cargo room, and while the back seat is not tiny, I would not want it as my taxi or shuttle ride.

I don't know what you mean by "not much cargo room" as the trunk is only about 1 cubic foot smaller than that of a Prius (based on a quick Google search), and at least here in SoCal that's a popular car for taxi fleets, particularly as Crown Vics start to disappear (Ford stopped production of them over 6 years ago).

Unless this is going to be used as an airport taxi service, that's sufficient. That said, my own Leaf swallowed up a big suitcase, and my carry-ons, on trips to the airport, though I would have to fold the back seat down if I wanted to do so for a second person.

Range especially if the car has no QC port is going to be more of an issue, but if the OP only needs to shuttle people for a short distance then it's not a problem especially if he can charge between uses.

I don't know what you mean by "not much cargo room" as the trunk is only about 1 cubic foot smaller than that of a Prius

Third generation Pruises are popular cabs in part because there is no rear liftover barrier to easily and repeatedly loading and unloading cargo. I don't know about the 4th gen Prius, but the Leaf definitely has a liftover problem.

LeftieBiker said:
I don't know what you mean by "not much cargo room" as the trunk is only about 1 cubic foot smaller than that of a Prius

Third generation Pruises are popular cabs in part because there is no rear liftover barrier to easily and repeatedly loading and unloading cargo. I don't know about the 4the gen Prius, but the Leaf definitely has a liftover problem.

I don't think liftover height is a big deciding factor for taxi fleets, based on the number of Ford Escape Hybrids I've seen as taxis especially in the NYC area. They're popular because 1. they're relatively affordable, and 2. they get terrific fuel mileage. Taxis, like cop cars, sit idling for long periods of time waiting for passengers, only difference is one's passengers are voluntary, the other's isn't ;)

The liftover of the Leaf is more due to the deep well; if you use Nissan's cargo organizer, or make your own as a few people here have, it's no worse than a small SUV. But then having that false floor cuts into the Leaf's cargo area, especially due to the way the hatch door is shaped.

tattoogunman said:
Is anyone on here operating their Leaf as a taxi or shuttle? I'm kicking around an idea and was wanting to talk to people who may be doing this. I'm aware of the Leaf's limitations and my idea involves extremely limited distances, so range shouldn't be an issue for what I'm looking at.
If range (and presumably charging) is not an issue then you should be talking to local cabbies.

I find the hatch area in the LEAF to be markedly inferior to our Prius and even our Prius Prime, but that reflects the sort of stuff I want to haul. Perhaps it is OK for suitcases.

SageBrush said:
I find the hatch area in the LEAF to be markedly inferior to our Prius and even our Prius Prime, but that reflects the sort of stuff I want to haul. Perhaps it is OK for suitcases.

The deep well of the Leaf's cargo area is both an advantage and a disadvantage. If you have "boxy" things that can otherwise fit in that area, you can put fairly large items like that suitcase I mentioned. I can put two such suitcases in my Leaf, but not in the eGolf without having to fold the back seat down.

But large flat-ish objects that already require the seat to be folded are a bit of a pain unless you can find something to support it over the well, like a false floor or some other object.

RonDawg said:
SageBrush said:

The deep well of the Leaf's cargo area is both an advantage and a disadvantage. If you have "boxy" things that can otherwise fit in that area, you can put fairly large items like that suitcase I mentioned. I can put two such suitcases in my Leaf, but not in the eGolf without having to fold the back seat down.

But large flat-ish objects that already require the seat to be folded are a bit of a pain unless you can find something to support it over the well, like a false floor or some other object.
I think the issue is more the wheel wells that leave less available width. Length is OK and of course height is superior.

jake14mw said:

None right now, but I was looking at getting a 30 kWh model sometime in the future (used obviously). Range would not be an issue with what I am looking at doing because the distances traveled would be minimal - probably not more than a ten mile radius (give or take). Cargo capacity is also not really an issue, but the space in the Leaf would be more than adequate for what I'm thinking of doing. I would speak with actual taxi drivers, but I would not really be a taxi per se and there really aren't any in my area anyway (the ones that do exist do not use EVs).

Usable cargo space is actually a lot better than many rental cars I have driven. I find that suitcases can stand up in the deep area without folding the back seat. I drive to the airport or my office frequently for out of town trips. When traveling for extended trips, I can easily handle two large suitcases and a carry on. Range is the only limitation I would be worried about for shuttle/taxi service.

The usable trunk space would be so much better, if not for the big hump in the middle of the hatch door panel. I've always wondered why it's there. Someday, I'll take the plastic cover off just out of curiosity, as there have been a number of times when I couldn't fit something in the trunk due to that hump.

ONE Leaf taxi hit 100K miles with the battery retaining 12 bars.

https://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-taxi-hits-100000-miles-still-battery-bars/

Is this for real, or a promo stunt from Nissan? (We'll replace your battery for free, but don't tell nobody, and big smile for the cameras)

erco said:
ONE Leaf taxi hit 100K miles with the battery retaining 12 bars.

https://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-taxi-hits-100000-miles-still-battery-bars/

Is this for real, or a promo stunt from Nissan? (We'll replace your battery for free, but don't tell nobody, and big smile for the cameras)

No stunt, just ideal use--cool climate, many DCQC sessions, and many miles in short time.

When I was last in Amsterdam, there was a whole company of EV only taxis. I took one. The driver indicated they have worked well.

But their communities are designed differently - much closer together so bikes work well and not everyone has to use a car. So the range needs are mitigated. I doubt anything short of the 2018 Leaf would work well as a taxi in Southern California. But where you are at if your business would be no more than a 10 mile radius, I imagine it could work quite well.

Here in San Diego, I've talked to several Uber and Lyft drivers with 24 KWH Leafs at the local DCFC chargers. Range does not seem to be an issue. Most trips are relatively short. Nissan's NCTC is a big benefit for these guys. I suspect that even L2 charging might work to top off the battery while waiting for the next call. Probably takes a bit more planning but the guys I talked to had worked it out.

I cant believe so many people are thumbs down on the Leaf as a Taxi... I think the Leaf is the PERFECT taxi... IF you drive short distances and have some time to recharge on L2 or QC between fares.

You could get away with 60-70 miles of use and then spend 40 minutes on a DQ chademo charger...

I think the Leaf is at its best if it is used 24 hrs/ day.. You could probably get 500K miles on the car before the end of 3 years old, and the battery would still be good!!

powersurge said:
I cant believe so many people are thumbs down on the Leaf as a Taxi... I think the Leaf is the PERFECT taxi... IF you drive short distances and have some time to recharge on L2 or QC between fares.

You could get away with 60-70 miles of use and then spend 40 minutes on a DQ chademo charger...

I think the Leaf is at its best if it is used 24 hrs/ day.. You could probably get 500K miles on the car before the end of 3 years old, and the battery would still be good!!
If you could operate the car between 80% and 20% charge, you would likely get 3000-5000 charge cycles out of the battery before it lost too much capacity. Say about 200K-300k miles if you were lucky. Of course the interior and chassis would probably be shot before that. :D

Just for reference, the average taxi is driven 70000 mi/yr. Nearly 40% of that is spent cruising for fares to pick up. Since Uber and Lyft are on demand services, they probably drive about 40000 mi/yr if they are full time drivers. Most cab rides are less than 12 mi. If the cab is not leased to the driver, it is likely "hot seated" meaning that two or more drivers alternate shifts and the cab is driven nearly continuously. In that case a cab could rack up 150000-200000 mi/yr.

In Europe, cab rides are usually shorter still owing to compactness of European cities. Putting 100000 mi. on a Leaf cab in a couple of years would be easy even there. All the cabs I've heard about with 100000 mi. or more were from England or Ireland which have ideal weather for the Leaf. Add in the short time frame required to get to 100000 mi and the likelihood of frequent charging to top off the battery and it's not surprising to see Leaf taxis with all their bars intact.

Back