Good Will Program over--Lost 4th bar 10 days after warranty expired, Nissan: 'too bad'

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that suggestion; get as many people tweeting or using social media to let Nissan know this isn't right. Goodwill program has ended for the Nissan 2013 or newer.

I am not on social media but would love it if someone could tweet/facebook at Nissan directly about their out of warranty replacements. Sounds like 2011 and 2012 models received 80-90% coverage on new battery replacements. I'd be happy with a 50% assistance at this point.

Nissan corporate told me the same thing. I cannot speak to anyone higher than him. He is the last person to speak with about this topic. He told me the goodwill program was over the summer of 2017.

Now they say in place of the goodwill program is you can finance a new battery. What a bunch of bull crap... Yeah right, I am going to pay $5,500 for the battery along with the labor costs involved...

My warranty is up in 19 days. Keeping my fingers crossed that I see that 4th bar drop. Forum gurus, any suggestions? I live in sunny San Diego and have been leaving the Leaf to bake in the sun at work. Top of the parking structure on the 7th floor!

Thanks for the suggestion. I leave the car parked at my house basking in the sun at 100% as much as possible. Nissan forum fans unite! I wish my leaf had the quick charge port and I probably could have dropped by now.

I'm doubtful the BBB or Facebook will get Nissan to cave and give you a free battery. Last year the best I got was 50% the cost of the new battery. That level of help was worth $2500.

On the other hand with a new battery it becomes like a new car. My 2012 with new battery consistently reports greater than 100 mile range when fully charged. Far greater than it ever reported when the car was brand new. Without a new battery the car is junk. Go ahead and spend the $5000 and enjoy your car again. It's either that or write the entire car off as worthless.

SeasonsAfter said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I leave the car parked at my house basking in the sun at 100% as much as possible. Nissan forum fans unite! I wish my leaf had the quick charge port and I probably could have dropped by now.
I don't have anything else to help, but I sure understand your dissatisfaction. A baked in ~ $,6000 repair bill in a 5 year old car is outrageous.

What can I say other than Nissan sucks ?

I would probably spend the money since the alternative is more expensive. Once the car was done (say, in 5 years time), I would never buy Nissan again. Well ... that is true for me anyway. Even though my LEAF is showing every sign of being a good value since I bought it used and depreciated, I just cannot accept Nissan corporate behaviour.

SeasonsAfter said:
My warranty is up in 19 days. Keeping my fingers crossed that I see that 4th bar drop. Forum gurus, any suggestions? I live in sunny San Diego and have been leaving the Leaf to bake in the sun at work. Top of the parking structure on the 7th floor!
Time for a road trip. You need to QC, drive, QC, drive..... until the battery temp is at the top of the gauge and limiting charge level. Parking in the sun will not do squat in 19 days. You have two weekends, good luck.

smkettner said:
SeasonsAfter said:
Time for a road trip. You need to QC, drive, QC, drive..... until the battery temp is at the top of the gauge and limiting charge level. Parking in the sun will not do squat in 19 days. You have two weekends, good luck.
And, drive it like you stole it. While hot, you gotta do max acceleration and max regen repeatedly to keep that battery HOT!

Run the battery to near dead then QC to heat up the battery, drive till near dead, QC to heat, etc. You gotta be like this guy: https://web.archive.org/web/20170717073322/http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=22134 where it's limiting his regen and acceleration. :)

If it's cooler outside at night than in your garage, don't leave it outside to cool. Maybe you can get someone else to do a QC, drive, etc. roadtrip when you can't.

There is a risk though that your SOH, Hx and AHr numbers will improve as a result of the QCing and fuller charge/discharge cycles... Hope the heat helps negate that. At this point, I don't think you have choice, if you're going to try to lose that 4th bar in time.

SeasonsAfter said:
I wish my leaf had the quick charge port and I probably could have dropped by now.
He doesn't have a QC.

Do you know a retiree who would do you a favor of L2ing it for 90', driving a quick lap on a highway and topping it up again every day?

BuckMkII said:
SeasonsAfter said:
I wish my leaf had the quick charge port and I probably could have dropped by now.
He doesn't have a QC.
DOH! :( I didn't see his post about that. :oops: I was only responding to smkettner.
BuckMkII said:
Do you know a retiree who would do you a favor of L2ing it for 90', driving a quick lap on a highway and topping it up again every day?
That might not be sufficient. :( Hopefully the car can be operated almost 24/7, either charging (stop charging when the car ramps down to about 4.x kW or so so that more driving can be done) or high energy discharging/charging like highway or full acceleration up steep hills and then regen on the way down. Rinse and repeat. Even then, there might not be enough time. :(

In hindsight, the OP should've sent his car for "heat treatment" in Phoenix or Vegas starting around May 2017 thru at least September or October. From forecasts, it still looks pretty hot in Palm Springs. Can it be shipped over there pronto and charged to 100% w/someone doing the above cycle?
palmsprings.jpg
Battery needs to be kept warm at night.

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated, you guys rock! I do have some retirees in Arizona but they don't have L2 chargers and having them run the car into the ground is a big ask.

I'll just do all I can to try and kill this battery.

Sounds like a Fiat electric might be a good alternative. They sometimes have promotions for leases at $70/month.

To all the other Leaf owners, I hope you have worn out your batteries more than I have so you can get the replacement.

Good luck all, I like the Leaf, just wish Nissan cared about the 2013 adopters...

The San Diego temperatures have been pretty hot too!!

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/san-diego/historic

I wonder why Nissan suspended its out of warranty support program, when Nissan LEAF owners are so conscientious about caring for their battery packs?
SeasonsAfter said:
...been leaving the Leaf to bake in the sun at work...
LeftieBiker said:
Make sure it spends as much time at 100% charge as possible.
smkettner said:
...You need to QC, drive, QC, drive..... until the battery temp is at the top of the gauge and limiting charge level...
cwerdna said:
...Run the battery to near dead then QC to heat up the battery, drive till near dead, QC to heat, etc...
If it's cooler outside at night than in your garage, don't leave it outside to cool. Maybe you can get someone else to do a QC, drive, etc. roadtrip when you can't...
BuckMkII said:
...He doesn't have a QC.

cwerdna said:
...In hindsight, the OP should've sent his car for "heat treatment" in Phoenix or Vegas starting around May 2017 thru at least September or October...

Sorry missed the no L3 port.

Best you can do is cycle the max out of it. In the evening run the heater all the way to Turtle or full shut down. Then charge overnight to 100%. Still good to get some fast miles on it to max cycle the battery these last days. Get up in the hills to really work it. If it sits try to be at 100% but I would be driving the wheels off.

edatoakrun said:
I wonder why Nissan suspended its out of warranty support program, when Nissan LEAF owners are so conscientious about caring for their battery packs]
As usual troll, you are missing the facts.

The drop to ~ 44 Ahr within 5 years of manufacture was with typical use. The quasi-abuse suggestions are in hopes of triggering a drop to 8 bars battery capacity and gaining a warranty replacement.

smkettner said:
Sorry missed the no L3 port.

Best you can do is cycle the max out of it. In the evening run the heater all the way to Turtle or full shut down. Then charge overnight to 100%. Still good to get some fast miles on it to max cycle the battery these last days. Get up in the hills to really work it. If it sits try to be at 100% but I would be driving the wheels off.
Actually I believe quickly deep cycling the battery is not harmful.

It’s worse to let it sit, especially hot, at the extremes. Either very high state of charge or very low.

You can charge it and while parked run the heater to drain the battery without adding miles.

edatoakrun said:
I wonder why Nissan suspended its out of warranty support program, when Nissan LEAF owners are so conscientious about caring for their battery packs?
The behavior being discussed is a rational response to an all or nothing warranty. A prorated warranty would have avoided any economic incentives for such games.

Cheers, Wayne

dm33 said:
Actually I believe quickly deep cycling the battery is not harmful.

It’s worse to let it sit, especially hot, at the extremes. Either very high state of charge or very low.

You can charge it and while parked run the heater to drain the battery without adding miles.
You might be right although driving hard should add some battery heat. Run the heat on max with the windows open.

The other issue is the BMS only has a few more days to realize the capacity is gone.
My thought is to keep logging lowest capacity every day for best shot at dropping the bar.
Don't be nice to it.

wwhitney said:
edatoakrun said:
The behavior being discussed is a rational response to an all or nothing warranty. A prorated warranty would have avoided any economic incentives for such games.
+100 to wwhitney's point.

FWIW, I try to baby my battery except on Friday (charge to 100% at work that day instead of 80% on most Mon thru Thur; try top off at free public L2 charging on the way home about 5 miles from home) and some Saturdays (may charge at free public L2 charging to near 100% and might stay at 85 to 92% for 12+ hours on Fri and Sat nights) as I've noted at posts like these:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=513309#p513309
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24697&p=507632&hilit=parking+cooler#p507632

My climate is not as mild as the PNW so I can't be concerned like Dave at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=509210#p509210 of not wanting to charge because it is 55 F outside. On most days in the afternoon here, it is warmer than 55 F.

Awhile after I bought my 5/2013 built used '13 Leaf in July 2015, it was discovered or I became convinced that the 4/2013+ batteries were better. Even w/the earlier crap batteries, it was marginal in my area about whether one would make it to 8 bars before the 5 year/60K capacity warranty expired. Some would make it and some wouldn't. But w/the better batteries and 12 bars when I bought it, it became clear I wouldn't make it, so I baby the battery. I lost my 1st bar in Nov 2017 and ~49.6K miles. There's no way I'm going to be down to 8 bars when my capacity warranty expires near end of June 2018.

cwerdna said:
wwhitney said:
edatoakrun said:
+100 to wwhitney's point.

FWIW, I try to baby my battery except on Friday (charge to 100% at work that day instead of 80% on most Mon thru Thur; try top off at free public L2 charging on the way home about 5 miles from home) and some Saturdays (may charge at free public L2 charging to near 100% and might stay at 85 to 92% for 12+ hours on Fri and Sat nights) as I've noted at posts like these:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=513309#p513309
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=24697&p=507632&hilit=parking+cooler#p507632

My climate is not as mild as the PNW so I can't be concerned like Dave at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=509210#p509210 of not wanting to charge because it is 55 F outside. On most days in the afternoon here, it is warmer than 55 F.

Awhile after I bought my 5/2013 built used '13 Leaf in July 2015, it was discovered or I became convinced that the 4/2013+ batteries were better. Even w/the earlier crap batteries, it was marginal in my area about whether one would make it to 8 bars before the 5 year/60K capacity warranty expired. Some would make it and some wouldn't. But w/the better batteries and 12 bars when I bought it, it became clear I wouldn't make it, so I baby the battery. I lost my 1st bar in Nov 2017 and ~49.6K miles. There's no way I'm going to be down to 8 bars when my capacity warranty expires near end of June 2018.
Exactamundo.

My LEAF is very similar and I act the same, and my opinion about the Nissan battery is the same. They should pro-rate. Out to 100k miles. And trigger at 75% capacity.

Back