SoCal LEAF & EV Gathering, Y8 - End - 18 Aug 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing electric here, but I thought some of you might be interested in this earthquake retrofit program. You can be reimbursed $3,000 to brace and bolt your home, but you have to live in specific zip codes, and there's only a 1-month window to register each year. (My houses don't have the right zip.)

https://www.earthquakebracebolt.com/Content/AboutEBB

Yes, I looked into this earthquake program, going through the online qualification process. I have a compatible zip code, but this program only applies to houses with crawl space under the floor, and my house has a slab floor.

Since we are not meeting today, Feb 3, I would like to share two Moon photos I took with my 600mm Sigma lens and Canon 60D body. Boomer has the same Canon model. The occasion was the Lunar Eclipse on Wed Jan 31 before dawn.

I apologize for the disappointing lack of sharpness in the eclipse photo. The moon in eclipse is many stops dimmer than a full moon, making precision focus difficult. I tried a number of shots with different settings, with both manual and automatic focus. Live View (display on screen) is necessary because the camera angle and my sitting position preclude looking through the eyepiece, but focussing manually with this screen is quite difficult. I use timer shutter delay to avoid vibration during the exposure, which was about 2 sec at f11, ISO 1600.

The second shot, taken last night, 2 nights past full, demonstrates that my system can generate sharp Moon photos. Lots of detail is visible in the craters on the limb. The patterns on the Moon look quite different under the different lighting conditions.

For this second shot I used a special 60D option: AF Quick Mode. In this mode the mirror interrupts the Live View briefly to direct the image onto the central focus sensor to allow the lens to auto-focus. This seems to work well with a full moon, but it may not work for the dimmer eclipsed Moon. I will have to wait several years for another chance to find out.

IMG_6078-X3.jpg

IMG_6116-X3.jpg

Very nice photos and report, tbleakne.
I was also out photographing the moon during the eclipse, but using my Canon 70-300 IS lens, and I also experienced most of the same issues that you did, including focusing decisions and disappointing sharpness especially at totality.

I didn’t try using Live View because I’m not at all sure that I can achieve good focus in that mode. I tried manual focus, aided by the knowledge that the Moon is very near the infinity focal point, so I could adjust by small degrees using infinity as my starting point. But I eventually defaulted to auto focus.

I appeared to have blur at longer exposures (above 2 seconds) at totality, and I assume that was due to the Moon/earth motion. So I stuck with shorter exposures, which forced higher ISO, which introduces graininess. There is great value to good lenses with low F values, clearly.

I wasn’t aware of AF Quick mode, so thank you. I’ll research it.

Cheers!

SpaceX launch of big Falcon 9 Heavy, 3 Falcon-9s tied together, with Elon's roadster as payload, now scheduled today for about 12:45pm PST. Should be fun. Live broadcast from

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

will begin 15 min before. The RP-1 fuel (rocket-grade kerosene) is super-chilled to raise its density, so they don't start loading that too early.

02/06/2018 10:47
Stephen Clark

The Falcon Heavy countdown has resumed, targeting liftoff from pad 39A at 3:45 p.m. EST (2045 GMT). But the SpaceX launch team will re-evaluate upper level wind conditions in a few minutes, shortly before loading RP-1 fuel into the rocket.

There is one collision avoidance cutout in the remainder of today's launch window at 3:56 p.m. EST (2056 GMT). The Falcon Heavy cannot launch at that time to ensure it does not get too close to another object already in space.

High-pressure helium and nitrogen gas loading into the Falcon Heavy is proceeding normally at this time, and there are no significant issues with the launch pad or the rocket.

JPVLeaf said:
Looks like we have the beginning of a good time. :)
I'll post more in few weeks. Hoping to see some old faces, and some new ones. All EVers welcome. An award will go to the EV with the highest odo ... don't know yet what that award will be, but it will be of great 'value'. :cool:

garygid said:
Wacky Warning:
A special Breakfast Potluck is likely to occur on Sunday, March 4th, 2018.

More details to follow,
Let us know if you would be likely to attend.
1. Garygid x2 MS85
2. Boomer (1-2)
3. TBleakne (1-2)

Hey Jeanne, put me down for one please. The first breakfast I ever went to with the OC Leafers was at your first potluck, would you believe SIX years ago?!!

Good to see a good mixture of newer and older faces at the breakfast today, helping to celebrate Gary's birthday. Chocolate cake provided by Boomer was excellent, even including candles. Thanks LeafD for getting the word out.

Afterwards I drove East to check out progress on the SC under construction at Lake Elsinore. Looks all done, 21 stalls, just waiting for transformer from SCE, and we know how long that can take. At Riverside SC, transformer was in place before construction was complete, but that is because Riverside has their own municipal utility.

On way home I stopped at a friend's home to see my first example of actual 4K TV in the wild, a delayed broadcast of 2018 Olympic Winter Games Opening Ceremony, delivered via DirectTV to 4K Sony 2016 LED set with early HDR.

I had watched the same program on my HD set last night. Standing 5' from 65" screen, improved resolution was clearly visible, but perhaps a shade less sharp from compression than the finely tuned 4K demos in the stores. Color was excellent. The TV detected HDR and activated HDR mode, and detail in the many deep shadows in the stadium clearly benefited. Highlights from the flames and fireworks were a little washed out on this TV, however.

I understand the South Koreans are broadcasting all of the events in 4K, but not NBC, where
the 4K content will be limited to the opening ceremonies, figure skating, short track, ski jumping, and ice hockey. Sorry, curling fans.
Further, the 4K events will be broadcast with a 1-day delay from the (delayed) HD broadcast. Not showing much enthusiasm, NBC.

NBC used to promote new technology, like doing the Tonight Show with Jay Leno in HD. Some of us can remember before that we had "The following program is brought to you in Living Color on NBC" with shows such as Bonanza and the Rose Parade, years before many of us had color sets. Of course in those times you could still buy top quality American TVs from brands like Zenith, or even build your own Heathkit color TV in something like 400 hours of frustrating labor.

Thank you all for the totally unexpected and absolutely Super Birthday Party at the Golden Corral last Saturday.

My loving mentors and caretakers put in such special efforts to bring together a very dear group of friends ... and Kat was such a wonderful surprise, that seeing her brought fluids of joy to my alien eyes. The warmth, friendship, and love from you all filled my hearts with squishy stuff. You all have helped, and are still helping me go through some difficult times.

Hopefully I will get to be around for many more EV Gatherings.
Great Thanks to every one of you.
Most Sincerely, Gary

garygid said:
Please remember the Sunday morning Special Gathering potluck breakfast on March 4th.

Please indicate if you will be able to join us at Jeanne's home.
Cheers, Gary
Thanks for the mention ...

Our it's-been-a-long-while Sunday potluck breakfast is on for Sunday, March 4th from 8a to 11a at our home in Irvine, just north of the 5 Fwy at the Culver exit.

Whether you're an old-timer or a newbie, please join us. Send me private message (PM), and I will send you the address and directions.

I'll keep a sign-up list with who can join us, and what you'd like to bring. If any items need to be reheated, or warmed, we can do that here as well.

Would love if there were a Model 3 owner who would like to join us! :p I've seen a few in the wild, but haven't yet had the chance to see one up a bit closer. :p

Also, let me know if you will be needing any charging while here. We have L2 (240v/24a) charging in the garage, and of course some L1 trickle charging. Otherwise, there are a few Tesla superchargers, quick chargers and L2 nearby.

Thank you!
jpvleaf

List so far:
1. Garygid x2 MS85
2. Boomer (1), coffee and an egg or potato side dish
3. TBleakne (1-2)
4. 91040 (1-2?)
5. LeafyD (1)
6. GCanz. (1)
7. Sparky (1), Baked goods, dolmas, Midnight Silver Model 3
8. ....
9. ....
10. ....
11. ....
12. JPVLeaf (3), plates, bowls, utensils, cups, etc., and muffins, scrambled eggs, hot cocoa ....

It’ll be just me for the March 4 gathering. I’m happy to bring anything that’s needed, so I’ll wait a bit and see what is most needed. I can bring coffee and an egg or potato side dish if that’ll complete the spread.

I’ll bring my BMW i3, or I can bring our Bolt if someone has an interest in seeing either.

By the way, I was able to order my Model 3 today. Getting a red one, standard wheels and no EAP yet. My son will probably order the second one we have on reservation after he and his wife drive mine and decide if they want one.

Boomer23 said:
It’ll be just me for the March 4 gathering. I’m happy to bring anything that’s needed, so I’ll wait a bit and see what is most needed. I can bring coffee and an egg or potato side dish if that’ll complete the spread.

I’ll bring my BMW i3, or I can bring our Bolt if someone has an interest in seeing either.
Great! Thanks, Boomer. Also, I'll put in a vote for you bringing your Bolt.

Congrats on the Model 3 order!

My 2nd for the Breakfast Potluck will be my friend Bob Bagby, who wants to see the M3 (hint, we hope that the M3 is there).

We intend to bring Cinnamon Rolls (probably need heating), a fruit platter, possibly a small Pecan Pie, and a gallon of cold Chocolate Milk.

Will you have ice, like crushed from the refrigerator door?

Looking forward to Sunday at 8 AM.
Cheers, Gary

Looking forward to seeing everyone at Jeanne's potluck on Sunday! I'll bring something savory. Most likely mini croissants and/or mini bagels, filled.

Our Sunday potluck breakfast is just a few days away ... this March 4th from 8-11a at our place in Irvine, just north of the 5 Fwy at the Culver exit. If you'd like to join us, send me private message (PM), and I'll send the address and directions soon.

See below for our person/food/drink list. If any items need to be reheated, or warmed, we can do that here.

Looks like we'll have a few Leafs, a Bolt, a few Model S, a Model 3, and ... :p

If anyone needs a charge, we can accommodate with some L2 (240v/24a) charging in the garage.
I suppose this is not so badly in need as it was 'back-in-the-day'. :)

Thank you!
jpvleaf

1. Garygid and BobB, MS85, Cinnamon rolls, fruit platter, possible small pecan pie, gallon of chocolate milk
2. Boomer (1), Coffee and an egg or potato side dish
3. TBleakne (1-2)
4. 91040 (1), Cheese and crackers
5. LeafyD (1), Something savory ... mini bagels and/or mini croissants
6. GCanz. (1)
7. Sparky (1), Baked goods, dolmas, Midnight Silver Model 3
8. ....
9. ....
10. JPVLeaf (3), Plates, bowls, utensils, cups, etc., and Fruit, scrambled eggs (which can turn into breakfast burritos), 2% milk, juice, hot cocoa ......

I’ll bring some cheese and crackers.

“It’s the cheese, Grommit, the cheese!”

Edit: Also bringing my wife’s famous artichoke dip.

Back