ICED - Images of Offending Vehicles Board of Shame

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
My favorite is the ICE vehicles that put the charge cable under their hood. They are likely just confused as well.

Ha, haven't seen that. Those J1772 connectors are about the right diameter to fit in a gas tank filler or tailpipe. Will keep a sharp eye out for EV posers.

After my last post, I did hang the cord off one ICE driver's rear view mirror in an EV spot. Sorry I didn't see him leave. I wonder if non EV types worry about getting shocked by touching the cable. Hope so!

how do we feel about Nissan dealerships parking ICE vehicles in the DC fast charger spot when there are TONS of other parking? Is there a place I can complain to Nissan corporate? They do this every time I come here.

Supersleeper said:
how do we feel about Nissan dealerships parking ICE vehicles in the DC fast charger spot when there are TONS of other parking? Is there a place I can complain to Nissan corporate? They do this every time I come here.

I find negative reviews on Yelp/Google/PlugShare/etc force them to do something. My local Nissan dealership now has a white cone they sometimes put out infront of the spot. This is preferable to the almost always having a service car parked there. They are short on parking for service vehicles in general, but I don't park infront of the gas-pump if the spaces near the store are full. Although many do...

I haven't done it but I am going to...

I carry a long j1772 extension cable... If an ICE parksin the space, I will park right behind him and plug in...

For good measure (if I have time) I will exit my car and stand around and keep an eye on my car.. If the ICE owner comes by, I will enjoy his sense of fear that his car is blocked. After a few minutes of watching him squirm, I will quietly unplug my car and drive away without a word. If they yell, I will wave goodbye.

Sometimes people just don't know. They truly are oblivious. There are others who justify their own actions in their own minds. I asked the company create an EV spot at work where there is an outlet. They put signage and an EVSE. Often when the lot is full, someone eventually parks there. I always put a note that read "When you are done parking in the ELECTRIC VEHICLE spot, let me know so that that I can charge my car. (my name) (my extension)."

No one ever parked there a second time after confronted.

So here are responses:
Five times: (Apologetically) "I didn't realize that it was an EV spot."
One time: "I'm sorry. I'll move it." Very softly. Didn't even make an attempt at an excuse. Btw this same person runs red lights on the way to work and violates HOV.
Once: Why did they make it an EV spot? Such a waste of a spot. (This lady finds me at a lunch event and tells me that she has a reservation for a Model 3. Whatever that is about. Strange lady.)

It's anecdotal, but I believe that most people don't see the EVSE, the signage and are too preoccupied to see what is obvious to us. Then you have the people who just think, "I'm so late to work" and justify that it's okay because they "need to" and aren't harming anyone. Then you have the blatant offenders who just care about themselves. Strange irrational people are not that rare. The woman who keyed the Leaf might have some absurd reasoning that since she doesn't get free gas, you shouldn't get free electricity (she assumes you get free electricity whether you do or not).

When a Nissan employee parks a car there, there’s really no excuse. It’s deliberate, and they are probably not wanting to pay the electric bill.

Supersleeper said:
When a Nissan employee parks a car there, there’s really no excuse.
In most parts of the US, due to state franchise laws, automakers cannot own dealerships. Most are independently owned and operated. Google for tesla state franchise laws, if you want more gory details.

So, that employee is likely not a Nissan employee, but rather a dealer employee.

Supersleeper said:
Facebook/Yelp/etc. reviews are the fastest way to get something done, although you can also contact Nissan Corporate at the same number that is listed in your manual for assistance with out of warranty repairs.

powersurge said:
I haven't done it but I am going to...

I carry a long j1772 extension cable... If an ICE parksin the space, I will park right behind him and plug in...

For good measure (if I have time) I will exit my car and stand around and keep an eye on my car.. If the ICE owner comes by, I will enjoy his sense of fear that his car is blocked. After a few minutes of watching him squirm, I will quietly unplug my car and drive away without a word. If they yell, I will wave goodbye.
I also carry such an extension cable and I would indeed block them in if necessary (if I can I will park a couple spaces down, but it does confuse other EV drivers coming to look for a charge) and no, I wouldn't move my vehicle when they came back until I was done charging and just for good measure, I might even take it all the way to 100%.

Ok, I am not that mean, but I did have one time that I had to tell them they had to wait at least 20 minutes because my car was so low on power. Could I have moved sooner? Probably, but I can guarantee you they never parked in an EV charging space again after that.

Back